Author Topic: Just switched to synthetic oil over the weekend....  (Read 8229 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Just switched to synthetic oil over the weekend....
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
I don't know if a Gold Wing is a real good example.  Large, water cooled engine with a relatively low specific power.  On track bikes it makes a huge difference - the difference between seasonal rebuilds or not.

Back when I worked in engine R&D for a brief period of time, we would do destruct tests on engines (100% power, wide open throttle on a bench dyno, with stepped increases in CHT and oil temperatures until something breaks or seizes up.)  Those engines running synthetic oil would by far outlast the same engines running mineral oil.

Offline dbird29

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »
Couldn't you just replace the oil filter and top off the oil?

But what about your oil filter? You run your oil twice as long but is your filter going to do it's job all that time. Oil, if kept changed on a  regular time frame will do it's job, I had over 108,000 miles on my 92 GoldWing with Castrol 20/50 automotive oil and never had a problem. The cost of synthetic is 2 to 3 times higher than regular oil. And II see no advantage in it. I did run it in my 2002 Gold Wing and never noticed a difference except that it cost more. In my 08 Wing I ran Honda oil and the mileage and sound was the same as my 02.
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
But what about your oil filter? You run your oil twice as long but is your filter going to do it's job all that time. Oil, if kept changed on a  regular time frame will do it's job, I had over 108,000 miles on my 92 GoldWing with Castrol 20/50 automotive oil and never had a problem. The cost of synthetic is 2 to 3 times higher than regular oil. And II see no advantage in it. I did run it in my 2002 Gold Wing and never noticed a difference except that it cost more. In my 08 Wing I ran Honda oil and the mileage and sound was the same as my 02.

The OEM says to change filter "every other oil change"......so there is your answer. ;) And aren't you the fella that changes his oil at less than 3k habitually?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »
So how long are you going to go between oil changes? I usually go 5,000 miles on regular dino oil anyway. Would I go 10,000 miles on synthetic? No I wouldn't.  There really is no reason to change oil every 3,000 miles on a modern engine with modern oils, synthetic or dino. I have had many vehicles go well over 100,000 miles with no issues on dino oil with changes at 5,000 miles. My last Jetta went 189,000 miles before I sold it. Oil changes were done at 5,000 miles and it had good compression and burned no oil when I got rid of it.

There is nothing wrong with synthetic oil, it is quite good actually, it just isn't a cure all and the "downsides" of dino oil are highly exaggerated. I have used synthetic motorcycle oil on my RC51 in the past, just not always. I said motorcycle synthetic because I still don't trust oil not made for motorcycles on my bike. With motorcycle specific oil available I see no reason not to run it.

Oh my, I've responded to an oil thread.  :banghead:

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
So you've posted before about finding the cheapest decent helmet, emphasis on the price, but then you drop $40 on oil? Nothing wrong with the synthetics, but their overall value is hard to pinpoint especially on a vehicle where oil changes are relatively frequent.

I'd spend less on boutique oil and spend more on helmets.

Not sure why you attacking me bro. I wanted to use synthetic and that is all I could find locally.

As for helmet, if I were to get the cheapest helmet, I would not have even posted here in this forum. I doubt a Gmax GM54s is a cheap helmet (as in worthless) - I think it can hold its own. Beside, this is not going to be my only helmet either as I am pretty sure this going to be journey to find the right one. Ah what the heck ! why even am I explaining all this. I guess you are entitled to your opinion.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
This may be a mute point since I don't ride my Connie in the winter but since I live in a cold climate I notice a big difference between dino & synthetic in cold weather starts. I have also heard that even in warm weather a good portion of wear happens on cold engine start up and syn works better there. In some cars I get less upper end engine noise with syn.

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
This may be a mute point since I don't ride my Connie in the winter but since I live in a cold climate I notice a big difference between dino & synthetic in cold weather starts. I have also heard that even in warm weather a good portion of wear happens on cold engine start up and syn works better there. In some cars I get less upper end engine noise with syn.

I rode mine all Winter here in Pittsburgh and had no issues with dino oil. There is nothing wrong with synthetic, but there is nothing wrong with dino oil either, especially dino oil formulated specifically for use in motorcycles. There is nothing magical about synthetic oils. Synthetic oil won't magically increase your fuel mileage by an amount significant enough to be measured.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »
I ride year 'round here in St. Louis, MO and I hear a difference between Dino and Syn on startup in the cold months.  But, either way you run what you like.  I was in a hurry, and picked up 5 quarts of Kawi syn oil and two filters at the dealer.  That set me back 87 bucks!  Two fram filters and 5 quarts of Valvoline full syn cost me 65 bucks.

Just to stir the pot a little, I have been reading about recycled oil.  http://green.autoblog.com/2011/03/16/valvoline-nextgen-recycled-motor-oil/ When I get back from Alaska, I'm thinking I'd  run it for 5000 and see how it handled.  Just seems to make sense.  I WILL NOT be using recycled oil filters though  ::)

One other thought, I DO like the way my bike shifts when it has synthetic in it.  It feels (to me) much smoother, no as much effort needed.  Obviously YMMV.
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline PH14

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
I used to run Golden Spectro in some of my bikes from time to time and occasionally I would notice better shifting, although I honestly believe most of that is imaginary. It also could be the difference between old oil and fresh oil. What synthetic won't do is enable miraculous changes in MPG as many often report.

Yeah it makes no sense to change oil every 3,000 miles unless you are changing oil every 6 months or so. It is wasting oil to do that and isn't very environmentally friendly. Modern oils in modern engines simply do not break down as quickly as in the past. 5,000 is not taxing the oil or harming the engine. The '95 Jetta I had called for 7,500 mile intervals for oil changes. I never went that long but I'm sure the engineers that specified that knew something.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 01:01:43 PM »
 :popcorn: