Author Topic: How to ruin a classic car show.  (Read 6346 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: How to ruin a classic car show.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 02:45:12 PM »
Yes, there is that...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Asian woman + Lexus = crap driver.

Actually, any Asian in a Japanese car = crap driver.  Just an observation.
  HEY!!, Careful,I drive an "oriental" car. :o
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
  HEY!!, Careful,I drive an "oriental" car. :o

Are you an Asian woman?   :o

I am not part of the slapahoe tribe, but I sure would have been an honorary member for that day if it had been my car.   ;D

The slapaho tribe I'm familiar with is "Save Lives And Put A Helmet On."
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
Whew! Glad that was only a LeMans and not a GTO. On the other hand it looks like the '40 Ford was a true metal body, well, you'll get those in CA, no salt. Seriously, too easy to get a drivers permit these days in this country.  How many people you know or see that drive with two feet, one on each pedal? Think Audi 5000 in the mid-80's and Toyota Prius a few years ago. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »
I don't drive with 2 feet.  The only collision I've had is a BMW hit me from behind while I was at a stop light (and I had been sitting there for  about 20 seconds...)
I had my trailer hitch in, it messed his Beemer's hood all up.  Luckily, all I got was a jolt and a bumper that's barely bent on one side, it's not even noticeable.

I didn't report it since the guy wasn't an ass about it.

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
I hope she had good insurance.  :-\
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
I'd come out swinging, in all likelihood. I have a bitchin' car, and always worry about a distracted driver nailing me.
I'll beat some arse if you mess my car up. Seriously. ;)

It may not be much, but it's all I got.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 05:57:39 AM »
  How many people you see that drive with two feet, one on each pedal?

Concern on where your head is at while looking at the pedals close enough to see both feet?

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
I'd come out swinging, in all likelihood. I have a bitchin' car, and always worry about a distracted driver nailing me.
I'll beat some arse if you mess my car up. Seriously. ;)

It may not be much, but it's all I got.

Not a bad car.

Funny thing: Last night at the company Christmas party, one of my buddies had parked really close to the driveway, but left room for people to leave...  Plenty of room for any car/truck.  But  not enough for someone else in his Chevy Silverado...

The Trans-Am my buddy has got nailed, but dented the truck, his car only had scars, no dents.  Guess they make plastic a little better nowadays than before.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 06:27:45 AM »
According to what I read, the car would have to be traveling at about 28mph for the airbag to deploy (hitting a parked car/barrier).  That doesn't seem fast to me but I think the damage to the classic car could have been done at less than 28mph, in which case the bags wouldn't have deployed.  Considering the size of her car car (Lexus), I'm surprised that more damage wasn't done.

Moreover to specifically trigger the sensors the car needs to come to a sudden stop is a good theory to think of... judging by her going over the curb and through everything and into the car pushing it into the other one Id say she had a "gradual" slowing effect.  Airbags go off in an instant, so at which point in that whole process would you want them to go off? None really. 

Really bugs me how so many people see a car in an accident and freak out that the airbags didn't go off, do people have ANY clue how much more DAMAGE they can do to you if they do go off let alone at the wrong time?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
That's really true.  Those are some expensive mama jammas and probably why they don't go off at the lower speeds.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
Here's a fun fact I learned on Top Gear from James May...

In Finland, in order to get a driver's permit, 6 lessons are on a skid pad AND you have to be able to power-slide a car.

Why don't we do this?  I love power slides and skidding around!  Driving school would have been even more fun, and there would be a lower amount of idiots driving on the roads!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »
Here's a fun fact I learned on Top Gear from James May...

In Finland, in order to get a driver's permit, 6 lessons are on a skid pad AND you have to be able to power-slide a car.

Why don't we do this?  I love power slides and skidding around!  Driving school would have been even more fun, and there would be a lower amount of idiots driving on the roads!

One reason:  money!

I talked to my neighbors in Germany and their daughters had to pay roughly $1500 (about 1000 euro) to get their privilege to drive.  Most of Europe is the same way, they also pay anywhere from $6 to $8 for a gallon of petrol (diesel is usually a little cheaper).

Just become an MP and you can take the anti-terrorism evasive driving course.  I got paid to race a Crown Vic around a track and learn J turns and controlling a neutral steer (4 wheel drift).  I almost felt guilty taking a paycheck that week after having so much fun.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.