Author Topic: A bit long and some technical, about to jump back into Connie 14 after long time  (Read 1099 times)

Offline thibbledorf

Been out of Connie's for a long time (2012).  Wrecked my 08 into a deer, bought a new 2012 but wasn't really over the deer and got into slow cruisers (mistake).  Sold it on this forum.  10 years later, I only partial use of left hand, can pull a cable clutch but it's tough (only index finger and thumb work).  I'm also 60 lbs lighter at 155, 2 inches shorter (5'9), still as 32 inseam.  Online searching for facts on the 2015 - 2022 model hasn't revealed all the answers I need, and closest stealer is 70 miles.   Here's the q's for the experts here.  How's the extra weight feel, especially on quick stops or in slow parking lot movement?   Clutch effort-> did Kawi adopt a slipper clutch, and/or is the effort fairly low?  I'm talking close to sport bike 1 finger clutch.  Did they add cruise in 21 or 22?  I saw references saying they did, but dunno if that is US market, or even in production.  Rotor warp, is it less prevalent than Gen 1 C14?    Deer whistles standard? (joking :))   Thanks -Eric
-Duck
Current stable:
old corvettes, '86 Honda Rebel.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Wrecked my 08 into a deer

Eeew- sorry to hear that.  I had a close call myself once and those things still scare me.

How's the extra weight feel, especially on quick stops or in slow parking lot movement?

What extra weight?  You mean Gen 1 to Gen 2?  They are nearly the same, unless you didn't have ABS before (which is still not much).

Clutch effort-> did Kawi adopt a slipper clutch, and/or is the effort fairly low?  I'm talking close to sport bike 1 finger clutch.  Did they add cruise in 21 or 22?

There are no changes to the clutch.  And no, no cruise, you would have to add that aftermarket.

Rotor warp, is it less prevalent than Gen 1 C14?

I believe so, yes.

Deer whistles standard? (joking :))

I have always wondered if those really work or are just a gimmick.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline thibbledorf

Many Domo for reply!

I moved to FL.  The deer were so prevalent where I lived that I hit two on motorcyles and one in a car.  Got the message. 

I didn't have ABS, no.  I was looking at one spec site that listed 2008 dry but 2015 wet (doh).  Reality 15 lbs heavier abs = abs, or 21 lbs heavier than my 2008.  I don't expect an issue unless it all went up top :)

I don't remember the clutch...funny how you don't notice something until it's a problem.  Boat propeller took off most of the hand, after replant only the one finger and thumb work.

Suppose I'd join a long chorus of 'why no cruise Kawasaki'.  I did the ccs-100 on an FJR pre-Connie ownership, but with the Connie I just did O-ring.  Works, I'd have thought with all the electronics in Gen II cruise would have come in.. :)   

Deer whistles.... I think they hear them, but they are going to jump any way they want to, making the devices useless.
-Duck
Current stable:
old corvettes, '86 Honda Rebel.

Offline Konehead

Couple guys have installed quick shifter kits, and info is on the COG forum..  but i dont know how much thats gonna help u whil at a stop in first gear. 

There was a guy i saw riding the dragon with 1 useful arm
.he had both the front brake and clutch mounted on the fight side.  Obviously a custom set up and the bike was a 250 scrmble type.  the man couple out ride anyone!!  He had lost the use of his left arm and the arm in sleeve was sewn to his riding suit.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
I don't remember the clutch...funny how you don't notice something until it's a problem.  Boat propeller took off most of the hand, after replant only the one finger and thumb work.

Ow!  Well, I am glad at least you have "pincher" use, which is a LOT better than nothing.
Anyway, I would say the C14 clutch feels about the same as on the ZRX and other larger-engine sporty-like bikes.  Not heavy, but not light either.  It would be sad if that were the only thing keeping you from riding.  They do make some "automatic clutch" bikes, but not necessarily anything you would want to own/ride.  I am not sure there is any modification that can be made to a C14 clutch to make it lighter- I have never seen mention of it before.

Suppose I'd join a long chorus of 'why no cruise Kawasaki'.  I did the ccs-100 on an FJR pre-Connie ownership, but with the Connie I just did O-ring.  Works, I'd have thought with all the electronics in Gen II cruise would have come in.. :)

Kawasaki just wasn't going to go through the engineering to change what was already mostly set in stone.  If the C14 were throttle-by-wire, it would be a no-brainer (essentially zero cost and very little effort), but it isn't.   At least there are add-on kits that work.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mr2U

I love my 2009 C14, but after your description, I would be looking at a,

Yamaha Tracer GT, much lighter, great motor, just as comfortable.

Offline dbird29

Maybe see if Honda brings the NT1100 to North America.
It has the DCT transmission so no clutch lever is necessary if you can't wait for that maybe the Africa Twin DCT.
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/2022-honda-nt1100-revealed-for-international-markets/
2010 C14 Blue
2003 Buell XB9S
1982 GPz 750

Offline zarticus

• Arena
Maybe see if Honda brings the NT1100 to North America.
It has the DCT transmission so no clutch lever is necessary if you can't wait for that maybe the Africa Twin DCT.
https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/2022-honda-nt1100-revealed-for-international-markets/

You can get the New goldwing in DCT, The new wing is also MUCH sportier than the last model !
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Dirtiegirtie

• Arena
I moved to FL.  The deer were so prevalent where I lived that I hit two on motorcyles and one in a car.  Got the message. 

Maybe you installed the deer whistles backwards?

Sorry, had to do it! Kidding aside, sorry to hear of your accidents. I ended up buying a used connie because, for me, it's just an incredible machine for such little money. If you are able to buy new, I think I would lean towards what others are saying... there are other options out there that are lighter and may better tick your checkboxes a little better. Remember, the overall design hasn't changed in what... 14 years now? That's eon's compared to today's technology.