Author Topic: Tire bead tore up  (Read 6141 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Tire bead tore up
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
Just a note, Shinko bought out and took over Yokohama for motorcycle tires.

Yokohama makes MC tires?  I Yoke's on my RAV4.  They make pretty good car tires or they used to.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 06:38:26 PM »
Yokohama makes MC tires?  I Yoke's on my RAV4.  They make pretty good car tires or they used to.
Well, they used to.  Don't know if they were available here in the States, though.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
decided to install a set of PR3's I had sitting.... and tryed out my new tire change fixture..
it worked great, for a homemade farkle.

Big work though, thos damned PR3's are tough tires.... man.... I spent almost 8 hours messing around, they are super stiff, and keeping the bead down in the middle of the rim to avoid hitting the tps sensors was a chore, it took numerous cinch straps, wood blocks, a lot of WD40, and some serious cussing to get them on....
no beads were broken in the process.... ;)

I also wanna comment that some folks have said the PR3's barcode lable on the bead area is the ligh spot, and to allign it with the stem/tps.... well that is about as far from correct (in my opinion) as you could be... I located the label about 20 degrees off the stem, and on both tires that was the heavy spot.... after removing all the existing weights from numerous tire changes, I ended up with a 20gm & a 30gm snapon weight opposite side to get close, and then another 1/4 oz stikon about 30 degrees away, in order to balance my front.... not as bad on the rear, but I did have to relocate a 30gm snapon, and use (3) 1/4 oz stickons about 30 degrees off....had it not been so late, I would have broken the tires back down and rotated them, but I hate breaking down freshly mounted tires, I think you can easily damage them doing so, and won't chance it... next go round I'll definatly put those labels opposite side. :'( :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
I know a lot of guys who run shinkos on a lot of different bikes.  I run them on my Versys and my Mean Streak.  Raven 009s on both.  I've had good results. 

I went with the PR3s on the Connie because folks rave about them.  For me they were no better or worse than the OEMs, but since the Connie is my goto rain bike I decided to give them a try.  I had to get a rear tire on the road so now have a Continental Contimotion on the rear.  Runs fine and handles the curves at 30 MPH over recommended yellow turn speed sign with no issues whatsoever.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077