Author Topic: My helmet lock solution  (Read 7419 times)

Offline Cold Streak

My helmet lock solution
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:56:22 AM »
The plastic bracket supplied by Kawi to hold the top case on the bike failed.  They gave me a new one under warranty, but I didn't see any improvement in it, so I made my own.  As long as I was at it, I added a couple of helmet locks.  It's nice, when going on longer trips with the bags packed, to have a place to secure the helmets. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:16:23 AM by Cold Streak »

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
Re: My helmet lock solution
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
Can't download the pics....??
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
AWWWW MAN!!  I can't download/view either............Give us the pics!!!!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »
The plastic bracket supplied by Kawi to hold the top case on the bike failed.  They gave me a new one under warranty, but I didn't see any improvement in it, so I made my own.  As long as I was at it, I added a couple of helmet locks.  It's nice, when going on longer trips with the bags packed, to have a place to secure the helmets.

Both of your pics show 0 kb in size. I can't download/see them either.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
Sorry about that.  I'll fix it tomorrow.  Pic's are on my work computer.  Drat. 

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
Lot's of views but no replies so I guess I'll take it as a fail.  Oh well, it works for me.  Nice to be able to put both my and my girlfriends helmets on there securely and still have the bags available for the other stuff.  To be honest I've never had anyone mess with my stuff if I leave it sitting on the bike unlocked, but you never know when an azzhole will come around.

Offline TimmyG

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »
Looks strong

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »
Clean and accessible.  I like it.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 03:10:51 AM »
Nothing wrong with it.  Looks strong and functional.  What more can be asked of it?
T.S.R.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
This is my idea of a great solution for the C14's lack of a helmet lock.  What you see pictured below is call a "Barender".  They replace the stock weighted bar ends and provide a place to put your helmet when there isn't room in the bags.  They're stainless steel and of very high quality.  A barrel lock is used to secure them.  They don't come with the spacer, but that does not pose a problem to those of us who own a lathe, have a friend with a lathe or are willing to pay a machinist to make the spacer.  You can make your own as I did or have one/them made for you.  For those of you who are interested, the URL is: http://www.barender.com/

I have one for each bar end and find them the be the best solution for the lack of a C-14 helmet lock that I have ever seen.  Their weight is about the same as that of the stock bar end weights and provide equal vibration dampening.   
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 09:50:47 PM »
This is my idea of a great solution for the C14's lack of a helmet lock.  What you see pictured below is call a "Barender".  They replace the stock weighted bar ends and provide a place to put your helmet when there isn't room in the bags.  They're stainless steel and of very high quality.  A barrel lock is used to secure them.  They don't come with the spacer, but that does not pose a problem to those of us who own a lathe, have a friend with a lathe or are willing to pay a machinist to make the spacer.  You can make your own as I did or have one/them made for you.  For those of you who are interested, the URL is: http://www.barender.com/

I have one for each bar end and find them the be the best solution for the lack of a C-14 helmet lock that I have ever seen.  Their weight is about the same as that of the stock bar end weights and provide equal vibration dampening.

Interesting concept indeed, but having TM rules this option out...

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 01:30:35 AM »
Kindly enlighten me.  What does TM mean?  I'll assume that you mean Throttlemeister.  I had a set of Throttlemeisters installed when I discovered the Barender helmet locks and decided to go with a conventional throttle lock and use the Barenders.  I still have the Throttlemeisters, in as new condition, and am more than willing to part with them if anyone is interested.  Send me a PM and we'll figure out what they're worth.

When writing my previous post I failed to remember that the gap between the grips and the Barender locks as seen in the photos of my bike need not be there at all, thus obviating the necessity of spacers.  The gaps are present on my bike because I have installed hot grips and a throttle lock (see picture) that fits between the grip and the throttle housing.  To allow room for the throttle lock I had to use shorter, hollow end grips to avoid having the grip exceed the length of the plastic tube.  Because the bars are drilled at the factory to set the positions of the hardware mounted on them it would be a hassle to change their stock positions.  I didn't want to glue the left grip to the aluminum so I affixed a couple of welding rods to run in the grooves on the inside of the grip to keep it from turning.  The ends of the welding rods are each bent at 90ยบ to fit in shallow holes drilled in the bars and when thusly set do not allow the grip to turn.  To keep the grip from sliding up or down the bar I made a spacer between the grip and the turn signal housing to position the grip the same distance from the end of the bar as the throttle grip.  Then the spacer was made to fit snugly against the grip when the Barender bottoms it against the bar end.  The grip is then held firmly in place without glue and can be replaced or removed easily.  The throttle grip is affixed with epoxy and the plastic tube it's glued to can be replaced with a new one as they aren't costly.

Hot grips and just about all other grips can be obtained in varying lengths so they can be sized to reach the end of the bars leaving a minimal gap when the Barenders are installed   
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:30:23 AM by BudCallaghan »

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
Kindly enlighten me.  What does TM mean?  I'll assume that you mean Throttlemeister. 

Correct.

Offline Hamsters00

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
BudCallaghan - PM sent to you on the Throttlemeister.

Hamster
Hamster
C14
'00 - C10 traded up
'86 - C10 traded up

Offline BudCallaghan

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »
BudCallaghan - PM sent to you on the Throttlemeister.

Hamster

Hamster,

This picture was taken from Throttlemeister's website and accurately depicts what I have.  I used them for about a month and have everything that came in the package.  My profile contains my email address where you can send any further inquiries.  Thanks for your interest.

Bud

Offline Hamsters00

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
picture was taken from Throttlemeister's website and accurately depicts what I have.  I used them for about a month and have everything that came in the package.  My profile contains my email address where you can send any further inquiries.  Thanks for your interest.

Bud, i just sent you another pm.   Thanks!

Hamster
Hamster
C14
'00 - C10 traded up
'86 - C10 traded up