Author Topic: BEFORE you buy a Trunk: Please read BEFORE you buy....  (Read 2072 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
BEFORE you buy a Trunk: Please read BEFORE you buy....
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »
I really don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but I keep hearing from folks who aren't aware of the options/consequences of the various trunks.

Trunks come in a variety of makes, sizes, prices and shapes, BUT, they all fall into only three categories when it comes to mounting them to the bike, stock rack or an after-market rack.

(1) Only Givi monoKEY trunks can be attached directly to an after-market rack using either Givi or SW-Motech mounting kits. (I'll contradict myself by saying, JC-Whitney / Sears may sometimes fit the mounting kit).

(2) All other brand trunks will REQUIRE a universal mounting plate that usually comes with the trunk.  The universal mounting plate can be attached to the stock rack. This includes the Kawasaki trunk often sold with, or offered by, the dealers.

(3) The Corbin Large trunk & small smuggler are exceptions to the rule as they attach to the grab-rails or in place of the Corbin removable passenger seat.

There are advantages/disadvantages to all methods of attachment. The monoKEY fits snugly and securely with minimal "bobble" but, unless the rack is adjustable, it's in a fixed location and may not fit every size passenger.

All other brands using a universal mounting plate offer some degree of adjustability in positioning the plate/trunk on the rack, but at the price of another layer (OR two) of plastic between the rack & trunk.

I hope this information helps people before they but a trunk and are then disapointed in their mounting options.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Re: BEFORE you buy a Trunk: Please read BEFORE you buy....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:17:09 AM »
And to add to it, you can use a pelican case! 

Set it on top of the stock rack, and have your lady (or guy... for those who care about political correctness) sit on the bike.  Adjust it to where it will not be in her way, and she can lean on it should she so desire.  Mark where the front of the stock rack is

Take the stock rack off, flip the box over, and use it as a template. Make sure it lines up with your mark, and is perfectly square and centered on the box. 

Drill some holes for the bolts to go through (you want it to be a tight fit so it seals)

Throw away that stupid piece of plastic that came  with the bike, and put Phils rack on

Put longer than stock bolts through some fender washers, and bolt that sucker onto the factory mounts. 

Have a beer or 4 to reward yourself for 15 minutes of easy work.   
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD