Author Topic: finally did it, car tire on a C14  (Read 44334 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: finally did it, car tire on a C14
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
A few things to ponder.......

1. I will never ride bitch with you!!!
2. Maybe a motorcycle tire would help my Subaru corner even better?
3. I don't go cheap on tires or brakes "on any vehicle".
4. What is KAPASS?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:33 PM »
If I see the motorcycle tire on your car I'll be even more impressed.

Indeed, PR3's all around on one of those stupid little smart cars...  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »

Indeed, PR3's all around on one of those stupid little smart cars...  ;D
No way, everyone knows Angels are the best choice, has anyone ever heard of a "Guardian PR2/3? ;D

Offline PH14

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2012, 02:44:06 PM »
No way, everyone knows Angels are the best choice, has anyone ever heard of a "Guardian PR2/3? ;D

:chugbeer: :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
Yeah, and if you like them now wait 'till you try them so that the fat one is on the back of the bike.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
Yeah, and if you like them now wait 'till you try them so that the fat one is on the back of the bike.

Brian
You talkin 'bout me or the tire?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
I was talking about those Angels- the skinny one should go up front, and the fat one in the back. 

:o  ;)

Brian

You talkin 'bout me or the tire?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2012, 03:58:28 PM »
Everyone knows my wife is an angel, you calling her FAT? ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
 ;D

May do we need a dose of Haroldo around here or what? Even the car tire on a motorcycle threads are running down.

Brian

Son of Pappy

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
;D

May do we need a dose of Haroldo around here or what? Even the car tire on a motorcycle threads are running down.

Brian
I do wonder if he used synthetic lube when he mounted up the tire 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »

PHAT...  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »

PHAT...  ;)
I don't think she would understand, if I called her fat or phat I'd get punched no matter what I offered as an explanation :-X  She is still looking for a fix for monkey butt 8)

Offline roland

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
Wow, This thread is kicking some major ideas around about my IQ.. :yikes:
I would like to thank two members of the forum that were really understanding B.D.F. AND BALKMC. :grouphug:
You guys didnt completely agree but understand where I am coming from...
Now for everones entertainment, I have copied and will paste now the ten reasons for running the darkside. From the darkside forum.... Please read and understand where I am coming from.  :hail:
Just read and enjoy. And remember I was the first to darkside the c14.  :loco: :chugbeer:

Comments from VTwin Bobby of the Riding the Darkside: 

"Why Use A Car Tire????

1. Our tires are NOT flat! The have the same contour of a worn motorcycle tire. The only reason you change the motorcycle tire is NOT because it doesn't handle any more, it's because it's out of rubber in the middle. Our Darksides just start and stay that way. When we wear a car tire out, the whole tire is gone. Not so with the motorcycle tire. You still have good sidewalls left....about 50% of the tire is unused. We use the whole tire whether riding straight or when doing twisties, we have about 40% of the contact patch is still on the ground in the twisties. It's still larger than a motorcycle tire can produce. (Even a 3/4 worn car tire still has rain grooves left, NOT so with a motorcycle tire)

2. Just so you know, we don't run low air pressure and flex the sidewalls to make it work. We use the roll of the tire just like a motorcycle tire and never get on the sidewalls. This Mod is for a cruiser only because by the time we get leaned to get close to gettting off the tread and onto the sidewalls, we are dragging everthing on our bikes and couldn't lean any more if we wanted to. (I have done the tread pattern by running it thru water and then making tight turns...the car tire contact patch is always a twice that of the motorcycle tire.

3. If a vehicle that weight 3500 lbs. on the average can't destroy a car tire all the while stressing the side walls while the rim of the wheel stays on it's on plane and the tire stresses and flexes and distorts and doesn't fail while traveling on another plane...how much more damage could we do if we never stress our car tires and always under any condition we ride in, our tires stay directly in line with rim and the line of motion. Plus loaded we (motorcycles) can only at best put a 1/4 of load on it that a vehicle could put on it.

4. The statement that we only run hiways and interstates couldn't be further from the truth. I have dragged my pipes so much since going to the darkside, that they looked wrecked...hehehehe I have already tore all the peg indicators off my pegs from diving in so hard that instead of scraping the just snapped off. Do some research on here and you will see all kinds of twisty riding from Valk's to wing's to X's and they have ridden all over this country. Check out Daniel Meyers site and see where's he's ridden a car tire and he will never, ever go back to a motorcycle tire. You see at many post's and this is common..."I wouldn't go back to a motorcycle tire on the rear if they were free!" It's true. I want go back either, even if they were free.

5. Biggest myth is that motorcycle tires wear out because they have softer rubber....Myth Busted! They have harder rubber, that's why wet riding conditions they slip so much. I have a durometer and I have tested at least 30 motorcycle tires to car tires...and in every case my car tire was at least 15 to 20 points softer than any motorcycle tire I tested. That's why wet riding conditions and twisties the car tire kicks butt every time. Softer is more traction every time. My son races karts and we are always looking for softer compounds and ways to make more grip. Now, why does our car tires last twice to 4 times as many miles than a M/T is because ALL our C/T's tread is working together instead of one little contact patch of a M/T. I know this might sound ignorant...but the world's flat where I live and motorcycle tires are round. It's gonna wear 4 times faster.
***Here's the durometer link******* ( Click the below link!)
http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/durometer-test-on-205-and-dunniepics-added-t557.htm?highlight=durometer

6. I don't expect you to trust us...but look on here and PM some guys in your area and just watch or follow some one around who has a darkside. You will be impressed. Plus, if it didn't work then the Boss Hoss's would be out of business. Think about it. How much HP do they have and the C/T works for them...they could put a 300 M/T on back, but it doesn't hold up or could handle the HP even in twisties. You don't hear of them wrecking every time they get to a curve...hehehehe

7. This mod only came about because some of us where daily riders or traveled for a living and every 6,000 to 8,000 miles we had to put a new tire on with 50% of it still good and the prices keeps going up. We didn't do it for the money only...it's the principle and practical nature of the abuse put on a M/T. It doesn't work on high HP cruisers.

8. This mod isn't for every one. If you only ride 5,000 miles a year. ####! It isn't for you. If you are a daily commuter or traveler and you want a tire to handle any thing mother nature or a road condition (including twisties) can throw at you....then this is your way to go.

9. Collect all the data you can and NOT from guys who don't put their lives on the line and ride every day and put their money where they mouth is.....or better said. Don't take advice from guys who don't do what you are planning to do. The more data you got the better decision you can make. So, good luck with your decision and if we can help, WE WILL BE THERE FOR YOU.

10. Remember, this is a mod that you do willing. If we wanted to be safe on the road, we would buy a SUV. We already have picked the most dangerous hobby any one can think of for riding America's roads against cagers.....hehehehehe

Thanks for asking. This probably doesn't answer all you questions, but it will get you started toward the Darkside.

................bobby"

Offline roland

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2012, 06:16:13 PM »
oh, forgot to add Thanks to all the mods for not deleting my subject matter :hail:
Thank you.
Al in New Bern.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »
Roland, I sure do enjoy your passion!!  I think #2 is really telling.  #1?  He says it isnt flat, but?  If it isn't then why does it look like it?  Isn't that how it has such a large contact patch?  A motorcycle weighs what, %20 of a car?  Ever been in a car during a big rain and hydroplane?  Imagine having %80 less weight pressing the tire down into the water.  Which stands a better chance of surviving a moderate amount of hydroplaning?  I average annually 20-24 thousand miles on 2 wheels.  I would say I have ridden faster then I would guess %80-90 of the forum, my chicken strips are as small as most anyone I have ever seen, and somehow I still get 12-14000 miles from a set of tires.  From a riders perspective I could in no way suggest CTs as a safe alternative.  I teach BRCs for the MSF and I also teach an advanced Street Skills course so from that perspective I have the same view, but that in no way influenced my reasoning.  I wonder when a top tier racer will stumble on the fact that CTs offer a softer tire with longer life?  Just imagine, they could run BsTTW for the entire race with no fear of the grip falling off.  Something else to ponder is rolling mass, just how much more does a CT weigh vs a MC tire?  There are so many reasons why a CT is inferior to a MC tire, I have only scratched the surface.  Food for thought.
I sure hope that isnt the Bobby who scammed the old forum, he is on a v twin courtesy of donations made by members of this forum >:(
If cars tires are as great as this guy makes out you would see them on vespas and other low end MCs.  I for one had no intention of insulting you, rather I was trying to snap you out of what I consider a very dangerous practice.  I sure hope you understand my intentions.

On a more serious note, I asked my wife if my Carharts made me look phat, she quickly said no, my a$$ did :(

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »
On a more serious note, I asked my wife if my Carharts made me look phat, she quickly said no, my a$$ did :(

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
Vtwin Bobby is a whack-job!!!!!!! ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2012, 04:02:35 AM »
Again #2:This Mod is for a cruiser only because by the time we get leaned to get close to gettting off the tread and onto the sidewalls, we are dragging everthing on our bikes and couldn't lean any more if we wanted to.

Not for me but have at it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »
oh, forgot to add Thanks to all the mods for not deleting my subject matter :hail:
Thank you.
Al in New Bern.

You're welcome and why would we delete this?  Have you had it deleted somewhere else?  The entertainment value is priceless!

By the way, you ain't the first to bring this up here and probably won't be the last.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TRBN

Re: finally did it
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »