Author Topic: Another oil leak question SOLVED/FIXED  (Read 4952 times)

Offline kzz1king

Another oil leak question SOLVED/FIXED
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »
 The bevel drive gasket was leaking out the top. I patched the hole with Yamabond by building a little clay dam and filling the top with a few cc's of the YB. So far so good. Now I can concentrate on more important matters like moving all the farkles from one bike to another.

I bought an 01. The PO said it had a small leak so the price reflected that. I am hoping it is just a leak and not a more serous problem. When I bought it , it was overfull. A small bubble just appearing at the top of the sight glass. 200 miles later it was down to the proper level but it still leaks.

The oil collects in one of the rear bosses or recesses. There is a recess about 1 x 2 above where the driveshaft joins the motor. That fills up with oil at the rate of a teaspoon or so in 30 miles.

I cleaned the air box and it is not being blown in and then leaking from there.  It may be leaking from elsewhere in the crankcase vent system. Is there anyplace back there where the oil could come from? I am concerned it is serous blowby, hoping not!

Thanks for any and all help.
Wayne
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:39:18 PM by kzz1king »
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline bradleym

Re: Another oil leak question
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
It sounds like it might be the bevel gear housing gasket.  The 2001 had a paper gasket, and is prone to blowing out when the oil is over filled.  The new style is metal.  I'm in the middle of doing mine right now.  The housing is the one with the sight glass in it.  Here's a page that shows only the housing: http://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/7th-gear-unit.

Bradley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:16:22 AM by bradleym »

Offline KenE

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
I had a leak  in that area-  Try tightening the shaft drive rubber boot clamp.
If that solves it, then:
In the final drive coupling there  are 2 o rings on the final drive coupler that if tired/nicked can allow  a bit of oil to drizzle out into the shaft tunnel then out through a loose boot clamp, and it is hard to determine the origin. Shifter, etc are all right there.
HTH,
KenE

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »
Thanks for the input gentlemen. Ken, I noticed last night that the clamp was very loose.  I cleaned everything up and will try some foot spray tonight and try and pinpoint it. I will feel better once I determine what the problem is.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »
I have it all sprayed down with powder. The plan is to fire it up in the morning and let it idle and see what I can see. If nothing I will rev it some and will ride it a bit if I have too. Any other pointers on what to look for? As I said the oil is collecting in a recess on top of the bevel gear drive. Thanks.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:56:45 AM »
That's a really odd place to have oil collecting. I have seen that when the airbox elbo has disconnected from the pcv system. The only other time I've seen oil up high like that was when the oring on an alternator was broken. Let us know what you find. steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »
My worst fear Steve, as that it was coming from the airbox as that would indicate things were not well.

RESULTS: I let it idle and revved it off and on for about 7 minutes. Could find nothing. Took it out on the road and run a few miles. The oil collecting in the recess is coming up at the gasket. After looking at the pics on SFSF's site that the gear is right beneath it.  My assumption is that gear only turns when under power which is why it didnt leak on the stand. The powder trick is a great one. I can see a small bit gone right above the gasket as it was thrown out.

BIG question. Do I dare get lazy and try to seal it externally with some sort of adhesive or silicone?
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
I would try that first, it's easy and cheap and if it doesn't work you're not out any effort. Steve

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 12:06:04 PM »
Any recommendations as to what to use?  A glue? Silicone? I have some Yamabond that might work well.

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
RTV or yamabond could work. Be really sure to have the area spotlessly clean and dry. clean it with some brake-clean or acetone and that'll give you a decent bond. HTH, Steve

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »
I've heard you can try to force in some bar soap, oil will not break it down. I dunno if that would be Ivory or if you could just use any bar soap. Worth a try if some of the other things do not work. Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
 :rotflmao: :banghead: :battle: :rotflmao: :stirpot: :hitfan: :popcorn: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
The bar soap was an old pinhole gastank fixer upper.  I had a old jeep that had a rock ping the tank and it leaked a bit. I tried JBweld but it wouldnt cure with the leak.  I used a product called seal all and it stopped the leak but would peel off in a few days. So I sealed it with the SealAll and covered that with JB and I was good to go. Lasted until I junked it a few years later.

So MofB, is it the soap comment that tickles you or the fact that I am trying to avoid pulling the drive unit? ::)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 02:05:35 PM »

So MofB, is it the soap comment that tickles you or the fact that I am trying to avoid pulling the drive unit? ::)

It was the fact SteveJ (one of the Florida Steve's) came back with the soap thing...after Bubba Steve told you what works... it was just a bit funny coming from him, and knowing Bubba would throw sumpin' at him if he was within throwing range.... ;D  He may still, when SteveJ shows up at Bubba's garage next time....I bet Bubba will at least hand him a bar of soap......LifeBoy would work good....soap poisening....heheheheheheh

we're just being silly.... ;)

I wasn't making fun of you, trust me.  Carry on and follow Sunny Steve's direction, all will be good.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh, I see!  The deed is done,just have to wait for it to cure now. I am going to let it set a few days.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline kzz1king

Re: Another oil leak question SOLVED/FIXED
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
 The bevel drive gasket was leaking out the top. I patched the hole with Yamabond by building a little clay dam and filling the top with a few cc's of the YB. So far so good. Now I can concentrate on more important matters like moving all the farkles from one bike to another.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline scoobynut

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »
Wayne, John here (previous owner).  Good to hear -- it sounds like you've remedied the leak.  All's well that ends well!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
Yep, I got lucky John, both on finding the bike and fixing the leak. The worst part will be seeing the bike sit in the garage all winter waiting to be ridden!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline scoobynut

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »
I'm happy to hear it, Wayne -- I was truly hoping it would work out well for you.  Regarding the ominous approach of winter, well, I feel the same way.  Guess we'd better get some riding in while we still can.  Regards.