Author Topic: soliciting tips for bevel drive seals change  (Read 2209 times)

Offline jworth

• Arena
soliciting tips for bevel drive seals change
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
I'm gearing up to change the seals associated with the bevel drive.  I already have the set of seals that Murph sells.  So how about some good pointers? Are there any particular gotchas I should be aware of?  On what else might this  be a good time to do some routine maintenance? 

TIA
Jeremy

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: soliciting tips for bevel drive seals change
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
Best pointer I have is a question..... Do you have a Service Manual? If not get one; and either way use it! I did...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:27 AM »
use only the oem steel gasket. be sure to clean all surfaces properly, and a dab of rtv on the engine side at the case seam. Don't put anything on the gasket, it's factory coated. Everything else is pretty straightforward. HTH, steve

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
1:Watch out for the tiny pin that holds the front end of your drive shaft to the back end of the B.G.C.
It has a tendency to pop out when you remove the drive shaft (nothing holding it in)
2:If you don't have the bobbed rear fender, you will need your center stand on a 2x4 or better to get the rear tire out.
3: On re-assembly don't tighten the four bolts on your final drive till you have your axle "bolt" in place
4: SISF is too humble to say it but, Now is the best time to consider the 7th gear conversion...

Not too bad a job. Took me about 8-9 hours including healthy B.S. time (did er at a COG event) No funny tools required 'cept maybe if you count an inch-pound torque wrench.
Good Luck!
'02 C-10

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
I'm 1/2 way through this job.  Decided it was a good time for a lunch break.  I've decided I won't change the output shaft seals as I don't have the special tool and it's not leaking now.  That means 3 seals/orings won't get changed.  I have oil constantly weeping out of a passage along the bottom mating surface of the case.  I hope that doesn't mess up the seal.  It was interesting to find that the seal in my '04 is a fiber seal and the replacement is metal.  I figure if there was a change at some point surely by '04 they'd be putting them in.  I'm given to understand the metal seal is preferable.  I'll let you know how it turns out in case there is anyone with absolutely no life who might actually be interested.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
Got it all done and took it for a test drive.  So far so good.  The only real complicating factor was that I pinched the water pipe o-ring and split it. Luckily I was able to find a pretty close replacement at O'Reilly's.  It's holding, but I'll keep an eye on it.