Author Topic: Anyone around here do quality fairing repair work?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
Anyone around here do quality fairing repair work?
« on: May 04, 2022, 06:28:39 PM »
So my connie took a minor spill a few months ago, courtesy of some jackass trying to kill me. Thankfully the tipover bars did their job. The front S pieces that attach to the motor mounts bent in the process, and bent the bar backwards. It damaged the large vent hole in the process. Once I got it all off, it's a lot more damage than I had figured it was, but it needs to be repaired so it doesnt get worse. Anyone here on the forums do body work? I'm willing to pay, but I took it to my local Maaco to see if they could do the repair and they said 1300 bucks.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Anyone around here do quality fairing repair work?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 08:11:27 PM »
ABS Fairing Repair:
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Plastics_repair_with_ABS_cement

You can also make ABS cement with ABS scrap bits and acetone.

Repainting:
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Painting_cheaply_with_Rust-Oleum

I've used these techniques to reassemble and refinish a fairly broken up fairing.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline mercer

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 08:07:04 PM »
All ABS plastics are pretty easy to repair. You can even make/cast missing parts or fill gaps.

Search of net will give you good details as well as links above.

I use fiberglass mat fibers to reinforce back side of repair. Does not take much.

Be patient and practice on some junk plastic first. There is a learning curve. Mainly to just gain experience working with the stuff.

Good luck!

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 04:31:43 AM »
Sounds like you are talking about the mid fairing only?

If you have all the pieces, plastic welding with a soldering iron from the back side works well.

Mid fairings can be found on Ebay or from forum members pretty reasonably.

Same for any broken internal black ductwork pieces.

You might get lucky and find a mid fairing in your year's color.

External fairing parts fit all other C10's so any year will do if you are OK with painting to match.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 01:54:02 AM »
If you do decide to do plastic welding, make certain that you use plastic filler as well when flatting the external surface. The fairing flexes a lot more than steel car bodywork so the filler needs to be more flexible too. Fairing welding is easy enough to do after some practice.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK