Author Topic: Huge slapping sound left side  (Read 1599 times)

Offline carlnoki

Huge slapping sound left side
« on: December 25, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
bout a week or so ago, I started to hear a kind of metalic slapping sound when the motor on my 06 Connie was warming up.
bought it 2nd hand (3rd hand actually) this past Oct.  The gentleman I got it from also handed me a bag
with extra parts/ filter, plugs, ect. AND a COMPLETE maintenance history (receipts, logs, ect) of the bike since
it was first ever purchased. (GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ( folder is about a good 4 inches thick. )

Anyways, hearing the sound and have been reading on the bike and you tube stuff, I decided it must be the cam chain
tensioner. Me, liking to keep things as original as possible on vehicles I have ever owned, ordered and received a new factory
auto cam chain tensioner. Removed the old one (making sure the spring and pin did not go flying)
cleaned the mounting surface, installed the tensioner WITH new gasket and bolts, installed the spring, pin, copper washer and bolt
and torqued everything up. (the original one on the bike was totally frozen up solid)
I could hear the tensioner ratchet out when installing the new one. (good sign). motored the engine over
without firing it up, then started the motor. VIOLA, no more slapping metallic noise. IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

I know most seem to say use a mechanical tensioner, but I like keeping things Factory. I know I am annal
about things like that.

But, I love the bike. Put on the Murphys knee saver pegs Have to get used to LIFTING my feet up a bit
for shifting and braking now. Other than that, they work great. ( I know, not factory), but at my age 68, I need
all the help i can get these days. LOL

My Mrs. also said no more bikes. (frown). The Connie now resides next to my other pride and joys which I bought new back in the day. a 1979 BMW R900RT and a 1978 Honda CBX (Red of course).

Am looking forward to many more miles on the Connie (if the other 2 bikes do not get jealous  LOL)

Carl Cisneros

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Huge slapping sound left side
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 10:54:17 AM »
Congrats and welcome.  ;D
Camchain tensioners are a problem on these bikes.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline carlnoki

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »
I have seen that on you tube and on the forums. If it lasts 5K plus miles I will be happy.
I did order and manual one, so if it goes by the way of an Essex girl, then it will get the manual one installed.

Carl

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »
If you fitted the ratchet type tensioner, they work well and should be good for years. The earlier model (86-93) tensioners are garbage. I replaced the one in my 89 about 18 years ago and it's still going strong.
Some prefer to replace them with manual tensioners which also work well but can lead to overtensioning and premature chain stretching.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »
I have seen that on you tube and on the forums. If it lasts 5K plus miles I will be happy.
I did order and manual one, so if it goes by the way of an Essex girl, then it will get the manual one installed.

Carl

Can't say I've hear that phrase before.  Had to look it up...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline carlnoki

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 02:25:43 PM »
Jim

you would have had to live or be stationed in England for that one.  LOL

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 02:07:14 PM »
Born there, lived there, but left when young.  This would have been in the 60's.  There is a reason for the avatar...besides lopping off heads.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline carlnoki

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 02:42:48 PM »
cool Jim

where in VA are you?

Almost forgot, Boomer, I did install the ratcheting style tensioner. Works great

Carl

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 07:19:12 AM »
Near Fredericksburg..

Offline carlnoki

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 03:56:02 PM »
Jim

Cool
we are in Woodbridge off Rippon off rt1

Carl

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 06:40:24 AM »
Not that far at all as the bike rides...

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 08:47:36 AM »
Went with a manual tensioner myself. Yes, major improvement!
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10