Author Topic: Oops  (Read 3582 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Oops
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:49:08 AM »
Didn't know the old girl had it in her.  I've had my Connie for going on 4 years.  I've made some fast starts but never got the front wheel off the ground.  I guess she was a littler more motivated this morning, might have been the 32°F air.  Pulled the wheel in 1st and second gear.  Surprised me too.   ;D

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »
Hopefully you got her properly warmed up before wheelieing her. At that temp my bikes takes a little driving around the block till she is cleared her throat.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:07:39 PM »
Hopefully you got her properly warmed up before wheelieing her. At that temp my bikes takes a little driving around the block till she is cleared her throat.
Ya, I was almost at work, 17 miles.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
Have fun with the wheelies, but understand each one puts you closer to the dreaded "stripped drive hub".  The aluminum splines in the rear wheel hub can only take so much, and when they're gone, you may end up stuck somewhere.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17966.0

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »
It didn't happen unless there's a picture.

Fortunately we have one!

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
What's the technique? I get a solid hop between 1st & 2nd, and 2nd & 3rd, but haven't otherwise lifted the front. Haven't really tried tho.

Offline throb

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 06:28:16 AM »
Filling the saddlebags with concrete would be a good start!   ;)
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
Filling the saddlebags with concrete would be a good start!   ;)
And front tire with helium?  :)

As far as technique, I wasn't trying to wheelie.  I just wanted a very fast start.  I know I reved her up a bit but don't know how many RPMs when I dumped the clutch.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
I did it once coming off a hard stop when I minivan decided that I didn't need to do the speed limit.

Downshifted during emergency braking and then dumped the clutch and hit the gas once minibrain cleared my lane. 

Front wheel lift right off of the ground. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
I bump-started once with a dead battery and gave it full throttle by accident before letting out the clutch.  Scared the $I#* out of me when it caught.  I do wheelies on purpose on just about anything that will, but I was not ready for that.  It just about left me standing in the street.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington