Author Topic: KIPASS problem solved  (Read 17640 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: KIPASS problem solved
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
Don't laugh- my best friend (a master mechanic) tells me horror stories of people he has worked with doing exactly that kind of thing.... scary.

What kind of horror stories?  I use that stuff all the time...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »

So do I, I buy it buy it by the case...lol.
The environmentally friendly stuff of course...which isn't all that different from electrical contact cleaner from what I can tell.

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
just use extreme caution when using it on something you may later heat up really hot, like trying to clean/degrease something you plan to weld... even if it sits and airs out till dry, it is a hazard. I cleaned some parts I wanted to zap together with my mig, they were dry so I thought, but when I struck the first arc I got one single whiff, and stopped...knowing something was not good. I washed the parts in hot soapy water, and blew them dry prior to finishing the weld, and that was fine.
2 hours later both hands went claw like into excruciating muscle locked spasms, and I was feeling very uncomfortable... I decided to research this, and found i had just exposed myself to phosgene gas created by the reaction...that ain't funny, I had repeated issues with muscle spasms for 6 years after that 1 second whiff.

http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5089.pdf

the cautions about not smoking around the stuff ain't for flammability, but because if it's in the air, when you puff on a cig, you are drawing that chemical in, and directly inhaling the resultant toxin once it converts...
I believe this was why I had such bad effects from it, bad stuff Maynard...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline clogan

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
Good info, Bongo!
Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to give it a squirt from time to time.

:)

After further review...I think I'll leave it the heck alone.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 09:03:29 PM »

The people would bathe in it if they could.  Hosed it all over the place so much he couldn't breathe.  Doused anything and everything in it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 04:38:52 AM »
I can certainly attest to the smell and it does linger.  I just did the rear brakes on my Rav.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
http://protectall.com
Been using this for a few years without any issues, yet.
Now I don't know what base it consists of because there isn't a whole lot of info offered on its product info page.
Brian has me worried about waxy build up now  ;)

sailor_chic

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 07:21:10 AM »
Is this stuff any good for our ignition and locks? I have found it in liquid and aerosol form.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 08:19:29 AM »
I love that stuff! In locks, yep, it works great. I put a drop on the teeth of a key and slide it in and out of the lock (Boys!) to get the lube into the teeth of the tumbler.

Electrical switches no because it contains graphite which is conductive (graphite is a form of carbon and that element is conductive).

Brian

Is this stuff any good for our ignition and locks? I have found it in liquid and aerosol form.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

sailor_chic

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 06:49:46 AM »
Brian, So you wouldnt recommend using it in the ignition switch?

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »

I woudl never try to speak for Brian, he is THE man, but no...That key lubricant is more for padlocks, door locks, and thing siek that.  Once electricity gets involved, its best to avoid the metal containing lubricants.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Yes but only on the mechanical part of the actual ignition switch. What I do is put a streak of the lube on each side of the key's teeth and then (Easy Boys in ADVANCE!) slide it in and out of the ignition a half- dozen times. Then another streak (altogether, less than one drop) on each side and again into the ign. lock. You should feel it slide easier (Boys!) as the lube spreads out on the slides w/in the lock.

So again, on mechanical locks- yep, I think it works well to lube the lock. On the whole ignition assembly, or actually dripping the stuff into the lock- no, I would not do that. I believe this is a case of 'less is better'; my container of the stuff is metal and more than 30 years old... actually, it was my father's.

Oh, and when done, wipe the key off 'cause the graphite is jet black and will spread and stain everything it touches.

By the way, this works well on all locks of all types that I have tried it on. Just don't squirt the stuff into the lock though, I think that is where some people have trouble with the stuff.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 12:17:53 PM »
As per my other post, I actually like and use the stuff, even on ign. locks, but am careful to only use a small amount and not let the stuff 'get away' and spread around. The only place the lubricant is needed or wanted is on the small slides w/in the lockset itself, not all over the whole lock assembly. I think even one drop is way too much. And besides the possible electrical problems it might cause in the electronics, the stuff will stain and streak everything around for a long time. So a little applied to the key itself seems to work for me and never gets to anyplace where it could cause problems or make a mess.

Brian

I woudl never try to speak for Brian, he is THE man, but no...That key lubricant is more for padlocks, door locks, and thing siek that.  Once electricity gets involved, its best to avoid the metal containing lubricants.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Oh, and when done, wipe the key off 'cause the graphite is jet black and will spread and stain everything it touches.

I learned the hard way the first time I used graphite- it really seems to like sticking to my skin
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc