Author Topic: Fuel Consumption/Economy mode  (Read 5202 times)

AlbertaDoug

Fuel Consumption/Economy mode
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:54:27 AM »
Pryor to my trip I was getting 30.74 mi/gal combined city and highway. Actually using the ECO mode( versus just the economical riding indicator) on the trip brought it to 42.42 mi/gal (90%highway). Average speed 3500rpm in top gear  ;) . With plenty of runs between 5000rpm and 8500rpm.   Considering  the bike full bags and I came in at 971lbs that's ok with me.

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Fuel Consumption/Economy mode
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:07:40 AM »
I always stay in ECO mode. I am locked in at 42.6 mpg. Always is. It peaks at about 43 mpg in the summer. It will slowly work it's way down to 40 mpg in the winter. About 90% highway.
Joel from Maine.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:41:58 PM »
I remember when I was getting 42mpg. Now I get 34-36mpg farting around. Would probably do 42ish on a long trip.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:07:50 PM »
Pryor to my trip I was getting 30.74 mi/gal combined city and highway. Actually using the ECO mode( versus just the economical riding indicator)

"FEAM"  (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode)

on the trip brought it to 42.42 mi/gal (90%highway).

I doubt that FEAM is responsible for a jump from 30 to 42 MPG.  It is more likely other factors.  Generally, people report that FEAM will improve usage only by about 10% (sometimes a bit more).  Anything else could be explained by lots of other factors- type of mileage, weight, exact type of fuel, filling practice, temperature, humidity, tire pressure, total weight, amount and direction of wind, seating position, windshield configuration and position, type of roads, how much and often you accelerate, average speeds, elevation, etc, etc...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:09:41 AM »
"FEAM"  (Fuel Economy Assistance Mode)

I doubt that FEAM is responsible for a jump from 30 to 42 MPG.  It is more likely other factors.  Generally, people report that FEAM will improve usage only by about 10% (sometimes a bit more).  Anything else could be explained by lots of other factors- type of mileage, weight, exact type of fuel, filling practice, temperature, humidity, tire pressure, total weight, amount and direction of wind, seating position, windshield configuration and position, type of roads, how much and often you accelerate, average speeds, elevation, etc, etc...

I think the average would have been higher if I would have reset it before my trip, considering it was at 13km/l the day I left. I'll have to do some reading to figure out how to do that for the next one.
One of the unfortunate factors is most of the fuel up here seems to have ethanol mixed with the gas. I try to stay away from the ethanol as often as I can. I do tend to twist the throttle during my riding near home.
Although I didn't expect great fuel milage with 1352cc's  ;D
With my 1250 I was doing well if I got 30mi/gal, but it did have a few mods(HoleShot Performance).

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:16:31 AM »
I get about 2-3 mpg better with FEAM on according to the computer. Goes from about 39 average to 42 average on a trip. Commuting I'm getting about 37 average and I mostly do it with FEAM on.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
I never trust the LCD display. Because its usually wrong.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline tomp

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
My 08's only eco mode is my right wrist.   Have found that staying between 65-75 on the highway and average city speeds, it averages 42.5-43.5MPG.  Ride the snot out of it, like yesterday, 80+++mph, I gtill averaged 39.3mpg.  As far as accuracy, I done several gallons/mileage figures and they have basically matched the computer readouts.

Not seeing big differences here, but have read on the forum some get 46-47 mpg in eco mode.  I'm happy with my mileage, but 30-40 more miles per tank would be nice.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
Yeah, speed hurts mileage as does anything like a big windshield. Even the difference between the windshield being up (Easy Boys!) or down will make a noticeable difference in mileage.

I also found my dash MPG readout to be very accurate until I installed a Power Commander. Even now it is not horrible but often off by 5% or a bit more. Makes perfect sense though as the PC is altering the amount of fuel the ECU is injecting and of course the ECU cannot compensate for that.

Brian

My 08's only eco mode is my right wrist.   Have found that staying between 65-75 on the highway and average city speeds, it averages 42.5-43.5MPG.  Ride the snot out of it, like yesterday, 80+++mph, I gtill averaged 39.3mpg.  As far as accuracy, I done several gallons/mileage figures and they have basically matched the computer readouts.

Not seeing big differences here, but have read on the forum some get 46-47 mpg in eco mode.  I'm happy with my mileage, but 30-40 more miles per tank would be nice.  tp
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Shoe

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »
My dash readout has never been accurate! Its off my at least 10%.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
I never trust the LCD display. Because its usually wrong.

The few times I've tested it by resetting the average on a full tank, ride a couple of tank full's keeping track of the total mileage and gas, its been pretty close. It's been awhile since I did that so I don't remember the exact results but I remember being impressed by the accuracy. If I remember it was within 1 or 2 mpg. AT 40 mpg, off by 2 is within 5%. Maybe I just have lower expectations.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
One of the unfortunate factors is most of the fuel up here seems to have ethanol mixed with the gas. I try to stay away from the ethanol as often as I can.

Unfortunately, we can't avoid it where I live.  ALL fuel is E10 :(
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
Unfortunately, we can't avoid it where I live.  ALL fuel is E10 :(

Get ready for E15. Just a matter of time.  :(

sailor_chic

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
I am quite impressed with the fuel economy on this bike. On my trip up to Hilton Head Island, I was on all back roads. Of course the speed limits vary with location, however I can say that I am good for 10+ the limit. In the 525 miles up, on back roads I have an average of 50.3, in ECO mode.
Today I came back home and road on the interstate the entire trip and held it at 80-83 mph. And the average MPG was 50.5.
Now I do realize that there is speedo error and this is most likely a high average. On one tank today, I rode 245 miles and when I filler him up, it took 5 gallons. Simple math tells me 49 mpg. In MY opinion, this display is pretty accurate.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
My gauge is very accurate.
My 2008 (40 summer and 38 winter) got better fuel economy than my 2010 and 2011 with eco mode off (37 or so). Both the 2010 and 2011 get exactly the same mpg with eco on (42+).
Joel from Maine.