Author Topic: TPMS SAVED MY BIKE, then Walmart to the rescue.  (Read 6366 times)

AlbertaDoug

TPMS SAVED MY BIKE, then Walmart to the rescue.
« on: August 25, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »
Traveling south on Deerfoot Trail following a R1 when the warning light started to flash, then the dash switched to TPS and showed rear tire low 27psi :yikes:. Was flat within 1 click. Luckily there was a gas station right there :hail:, of course they or I didn't have a plug kit :doh:. Walmart 2 blocks away did. So my therapist didn't have to spend the night outside alone, She's back home with her older brother in the garage :thumbs:
Good Call Jim.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:33:35 PM by AlbertaDoug »

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Walmart to the rescue.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:54:18 AM »
Traveling south on Deerfoot Trail following a R1 when the warning light started to flash, then the dash switched to TPS and showed rear tire low 27psi :yikes:. Was flat within 1 click. Luckily there was a gas station right there :hail:, of course they or I didn't have a plug kit :doh:. Walmart 2 blocks away did. So my therapist didn't have to spend the night outside alone, She's back home with her older brother in the garage :thumbs:

beautiful, and looking at the third picture, I can see that the plug kit had instructions in French. What else can you ask for?  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:45 AM »
 :doh:instructions, it had instructions, I just looked at the pictures.  ;). French wouldn't do me any good either I can bearly read eanglish.  :doh:

:chugbeer: :thumbs:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:26:37 AM »
But it appears that 'slime' is slime in any language.  ;D

Brian

beautiful, and looking at the third picture, I can see that the plug kit had instructions in French. What else can you ask for?  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:30:59 AM »
By my reckoning, the TPMS saved the day.  How about modifying the subject line with something about the tire pressure monitors or something a bit more descriptive?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:36:35 AM »
:doh:instructions, it had instructions, I just looked at the pictures.  ;). French wouldn't do me any good either I can bearly read eanglish.  :doh:

:chugbeer: :thumbs:

Hey Doug, do you remember hearing about those two French tradesmen that were almost chased out of Alberta a few years ago?

I don't speak French at all...except for very basic words...lol, but I can usually read enough of it to figure out menus, maps, and road signs. They do have some beautiful riding areas in Quebec.

As for the tire plug kit...don't leave home without it. They're pretty handy to have. I've had one of those newer kits with the rubber plugs for a few years now, but haven't tried it out yet.

Glad you got it sorted out, that's the main thing.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 06:43:18 AM »
I carry that exact kit from Wally World along with a Hausfeld Campbell inflator. Has saved me 3 times now.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:45:58 AM »
Mine is the Slime plug kit with the Slime pump. Have not used it on the bike yet but did plug a tire on my wife's car once. I cheated through and used the 'real' compressor- the 12 volt Slime pump would pump up a car tire but not likely all in one day. :-)

Brian

I carry that exact kit from Wally World along with a Hausfeld Campbell inflator. Has saved me 3 times now.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jonathan

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
Just curious, but would that be the Walmart in Deerfoot Meadows?

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
Just curious, but would that be the Walmart in Deerfoot Meadows?
Yes it was.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
Mine is the Slime plug kit with the Slime pump. Have not used it on the bike yet but did plug a tire on my wife's car once. I cheated through and used the 'real' compressor- the 12 volt Slime pump would pump up a car tire but not likely all in one day. :-)

Brian

Buying a 12 volt pump and mounting it in some Tupperware in one of the bags this week, along with the rest of the slime kit.
Replacing the OEM TIRES with some PR4 GTs tomorrow after work. 8400kms (5220ml) on these tyres.

Might actually keep the originals and get it patched, plenty of tread left on the sides for a track session or two. Any thoughts on this.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
By my reckoning, the TPMS saved the day.  How about modifying the subject line with something about the tire pressure monitors or something a bit more descriptive?

::) This is the second subject line Jim has disliked.
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »

Subject lines should describe the thread topic, otherwise we can't tell what the thread is about when looking through the summaries.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 01:55:33 AM »

he probably run out of beer  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: TPMS SAVED MY BIKE, then Walmart to the rescue.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »
Descriptive subject lines help members decide what they want to read.  It makes things a bit easier especially if you're scanning the whole page of threads if you are looking for something quickly and are less than enthused with the search function of this forum.  And before the haters start up about the search function...it does work but it's not like data entered into a database as members use different terms for the same thing and can't spell worth a  :censored: .  So a short descriptive title really does help.

Martin, thanks for the reminder.  I am getting low on beer.  I'll make a run today.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 05:14:40 AM »
I'm glad this happened close to home( not in the middle of butt :censored: no where), now I've added the plug kit and this pump to my list of must have's for any trip.
Little disappointed that I wasn't able to wear OEM tires out but such is the case. Still showing 5mm of tread (on the centres barely( ;) )a mm of ware on the sides) at 8651km guessing I would have easily made 10000km on these stones.
On the positive new TYRES woohoooo!
 :chugbeer: :finger_fing11:

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
 :D
Little premature but there on now. Hope to get a few more clicks from these then the original stones.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:09 AM »
:D
Little premature but there they're on now. Hope to get a few more clicks from these then the original stones.

Yep, those look very much like PR4GTs!  I have had them for a while now and like them.  Like you, I hope they will wear better (and perform better) over time than the OEM tires, which had very poor wear patterns for a third of their time on my bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 08:33:33 AM »
Doug:
Glad you fixed your tire with no problems. One question, though. In one of your pics, sign says road AND campground are both closed. I can understand a campground closure, but why the road? Seems too early for snow pack. Maybe a landslide? Fire danger? Rabid elk? Marauding moose?

Just curious. Seems a shame to close the road in such a beautiful area. Must have been pretty important reason.

I do hope I can ride up that way sometime, before I hang it up.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »
Doug:
Glad you fixed your tire with no problems. One question, though. In one of your pics, sign says road AND campground are both closed. I can understand a campground closure, but why the road? Seems too early for snow pack. Maybe a landslide? Fire danger? Rabid elk? Marauding moose?

Just curious. Seems a shame to close the road in such a beautiful area. Must have been pretty important reason.

I do hope I can ride up that way sometime, before I hang it up.

That pic is actually from last year, we had a bit of a flood up this way. The flood washed out a couple of bridges and tore the road apart in a few spots. Most of the repairs are complete now, the road (Alberta  #40) is open again. Yes it's a beautiful highway lots of picturesque areas.
Amazing the damage from that flood :yikes:. Elbow Falls was once one of Canada's most beautiful waterfall, now it looks like a big creek :'(
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Gallery+Kananaskis+Flood+Damage+From/8589683/story.html?__federated=1
I hope your able to as well.
 :chugbeer:
Doug.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:46:56 AM by AlbertaDoug »