Author Topic: Windshield backpressure  (Read 15980 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Windshield backpressure
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
I see that Kirby is taking those blue pills, no wonder he's so stiff.    (someone had to say it)

:rotflmao:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 09:46:04 PM »
On my '10, the dash vents that are supposed to address the back pressure don't seem to be enough. The only time I have
head buffeting is when there is a strong crosswind. So basically I have no buffeting problem, however when the windshield
(stock '10 with MRA spoiler) is all the way up it feels like someone behind me is trying to push my head forward and down, and in 20
minutes or so my neck muscles are screaming in protest. I'm going to try and make a CalSci type vent in mine and see if that helps.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 05:50:56 AM »
Ok, I know some of you guys have 10's on up, where's the pics of the vents?  What do I have to do, call a breakfast or lunch meeting in Fredericksburg and bring my own camera?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2011, 06:06:38 AM »
Ok, I know some of you guys have 10's on up, where's the pics of the vents?  What do I have to do, call a breakfast or lunch meeting in Fredericksburg and bring my own camera?

Come on guys, Jim has a sword and he's not afraid to use it!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »

Make it breakfast in Utopia and I'm there!!
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Per earlier comments cee bailey's is 100% aircraft quality, and the same material they use on the air force jet canopies they manufacture
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »
Wow, Jim is insistent, isn't he.  ::)

OK Jim, since SteveWFL is ignoring you, I'll help you out.  Ignore the dirty bike though, I got caught in one of those "surprise showers" (actual statement from the weatherman) three nights ago, and it was 36F when I rode in the next night.  It's been way to cold to clean it up since then.

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
Make it breakfast in Utopia and I'm there!!

You'll have to talk to your wife and/or girlfiend about that me thinks.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »

OK Jim, since SteveWFL is ignoring you, I'll help you out.  Ignore the dirty bike though, I got caught in one of those "surprise showers" (actual statement from the weatherman) three nights ago, and it was 36F when I rode in the next night.  It's been way to cold to clean it up since then.

Thanks. I don't think it looks dirty.  What I am getting at is how hard would it be to retrofit the dash plastic to add to an 08 or 09 bike.  I take it there aren't any vents in the front of the bike under the screen?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2011, 08:49:29 AM »
The new vents in the fairing covers are directly behind the slots that the windshield arms travel in. As I remember, no, there are no additional intakes on the front of the bike, just the windshield slots (which are substantial).

Brian

Thanks. I don't think it looks dirty.  What I am getting at is how hard would it be to retrofit the dash plastic to add to an 08 or 09 bike.  I take it there aren't any vents in the front of the bike under the screen?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
The new vents in the fairing covers are directly behind the slots that the windshield arms travel in. As I remember, no, there are no additional intakes on the front of the bike, just the windshield slots (which are substantial).

Brian

Yes, that is correct.  When looking into the slots vents from the back, you can see straight through, and out the windshield arm slots to the front.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:27:45 PM by C1xRider »
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »

Jim,  the part with the vents in it is one piece all the way down around the new glove box.  I don't think it would be as simple as just swapping plastic.

Another idea for modding the 08/09's would be to find a small dash vent from a car, cut the existing dash, and install the vent.  Then it should look a little better than a couple of large holes.

Although, the viewing angle to see those holes is only from a low position, so really, only really short people or little kids would notice them.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »

That just caught my attention and I scrolled back. Apologies, I never ignore Jim or anyone intentionally.  Great pics, I usually never miss a chance for a pic op either
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »
It would be cheaper to buy a Calsci, then.  Forgot you guys had that silly lockable box on the left side  ;) .  I could cut some vents but I would most likely wind up in the emergency room getting stitches.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »
That just caught my attention and I scrolled back. Apologies, I never ignore Jim or anyone intentionally.  Great pics, I usually never miss a chance for a pic op either

I know, Steve.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
I know, Steve.

Yes, we should ALL know that by now!   ;D

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 04:27:15 AM »
Someone on the old forum did cut two 1" holes in his dash. Then he glued som black mesh on the inside of the cover to fill the hole. If I remember correct, it did help.  :-\
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline julianm

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
I made a mod to the standard 2010 -screen by drilling 2 holes furthur down which allowed me to move the screen up by about 2 inches. When riding and raising the screen up , I found a definite push towards the screen caused by back pressure. This was solved by cutting 2 MRA varioscreen type holes in my screen using a slow speed drill for the corners and a metal blade on a jigsaw at slow speed to cut the slots. It does result in more noise though.
Attached  is a pic. of the MRA screen

Offline jonathan

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »
Someone on the old forum did cut two 1" holes in his dash. Then he glued som black mesh on the inside of the cover to fill the hole. If I remember correct, it did help.  :-\

You could also just drill a series of smaller holes and not worry about the mesh.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
On my '10, the dash vents that are supposed to address the back pressure don't seem to be enough. The only time I have
head buffeting is when there is a strong crosswind. So basically I have no buffeting problem, however when the windshield
(stock '10 with MRA spoiler) is all the way up it feels like someone behind me is trying to push my head forward and down, and in 20
minutes or so my neck muscles are screaming in protest. I'm going to try and make a CalSci type vent in mine and see if that helps.
Back pressure update
I made the cut in my stock '10 similar to the Calsci vent, and have tested it for a few months. It helps a little with the back pressure, but not enough. I debated ordering a MRA or a Calsci and yesterday I finally ordered the Calsci medium. According to the Calsci site info, it should be about 1 3/4 to 2 inches taller than my stock. If it's too tall I'll just cut it. If the new Calsci solves the problem then I'll continue to modify the stock 'shield to see if I can fix the problem with it. There seems to be considerably less material at the bottom of the Calsci, so maybe that will be the next cut on the stocker. It could be that the little flip at the top of the stock screen is what is causing the back pressure problem. If so then I guess it'll end up being cut down into a summer shorty, or perhaps become material for some home made hand wings. Time and money will tell. ::)
(Hmmm....it took me 14 months to update this, sorry.)
  :-[