Author Topic: Cheap stand for washing front wheel  (Read 11902 times)

Offline clogan

Re: Cheap stand for washing front wheel
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 06:22:17 AM »
From in front of bike, I just grab the bottom of the front wheel by the spokes, and pull toward me.
The wheel rotates about a quarter rotation. I wash that section, then pull again. Very easy. Never skinned my hand, or broken any nails. I suppose you could put a wooden block under the header, and shim it enough to get the front wheel far enough off the ground to free wheel. But I never wanted to go to that much trouble...didn't seem necessary.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 06:23:19 AM »
These are interesting... http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-cleaning-stand-98800.html... but I'd probably find a way to screw up using one.

It reads like it's a chock. I don't see it in the picture. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago and it works as advertised (used a coupon and got it for like $9). I don't know what the disaster waiting to happen might be?

The way that I use it is, I put my bike on the center stand first then I then lift the front wheel off the ground using my forearm under the headlight area and slip the roller/chock under the tire, making sure that the tire contacts both rollers. Now you can roll the front wheel to your heart's content while you clean it. It makes it easier to clean up the rotors too.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
ok, that makes sense.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 06:30:56 AM »
No, it has two large rollers so you can spin the wheel once you drive up into it.  Not a bad idea.  I kinda like it.  Just scared of such things myself, since with my luck, I would still somehow lose control.

No, no, no! This might be where G thought about a disaster.

I would NOT ride up onto this thing, no good will come of that. Besides, if you rode up on to it how would you get the bike onto the center stand? The side stand would never work with the roller/chock, the bike would be on it's side in no time.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 06:39:15 AM »
Max would have his little feet dangling for about three seconds before..... :(

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »
Max would have his little feet dangling for about three seconds before..... :(

Yeah, really.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 08:20:58 AM »
Ive been doing the previously mentioned put bike on center stand, grab spokes and pull up, but I've also used a couple 2x4's under the header to prop it up. Theres very little weight put on the header doing this so I'm not worried about damaging it.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:46 PM »
From in front of bike, I just grab the bottom of the front wheel by the spokes, and pull toward me.
The wheel rotates about a quarter rotation. I wash that section, then pull again. Very easy. Never skinned my hand, or broken any nails. I suppose you could put a wooden block under the header, and shim it enough to get the front wheel far enough off the ground to free wheel. But I never wanted to go to that much trouble...didn't seem necessary.

Well I'm delicate.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline marku8a

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »

I bought one of these a couple of years ago and it works as advertised (used a coupon and got it for like $9). I don't know what the disaster waiting to happen might be?

I just bought one. Original price is $35. On sale and a coupon, the out the door cost was $20. I have a 190/55 tire on the rear. Due to the larger diameter this is not so easy to slide under the front tire. It can be done with a bit of encouragement from my right foot.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »
On the side stand or center stand?

Offline marku8a

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »
On the side stand or center stand?

Center stand.
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
I use one of those small hydraulic jacks. Put the bike on the center stand and put the jack under the bottom of the fork and pump it up an inch or so. There is no real load on the jack and if the jack falls the bike just goes to rest on the front wheel - no blood, no foul.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:29 AM »
I have 2 35# dumbells in the garage.  When I need the front wheel off the ground I put the bike on the centerstand, and then put both weights in the topcase.  It'll almost pull the front wheel up with the 1st weight alone, so I'd imagine a pair of 25# weights would get the job done just as well.  I realize this is past the capacity of the case, rack, well pretty much everything back there, but then again it's not moving at all and it's a lot less painful than trying to get SWMBO to sit on the back seat for as long as I've got the front end in the air...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Pitbull stands MP!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

looked on the site, what ones are those ??
had a pair of trex with the tripple adapter, but have been unable to use them with this bike

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
Pitbull stands MP!  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

I would love those, but they ain't cheap either. Plus its hard to figure out which ones to buy. Do you happen to have a couple extra sets, maybe one in green?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »
looked on the site, what ones are those ??
had a pair of trex with the tripple adapter, but have been unable to use them with this bike

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=15597.0

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
I would love those, but they ain't cheap either. Plus its hard to figure out which ones to buy. Do you happen to have a couple extra sets, maybe one in green?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline MrPepsi

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
If you want to also be grammatically correct, they would "sit" on the seat, not "set" on it :)

I think that you "set" her on the seat and tell her to "sit" there and be quiet.

Or, better yet, you sit on the bike and tell her to put on a bikini and wash front wheel.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold