Author Topic: Fuel gauge stuck  (Read 559 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Fuel gauge stuck
« on: July 03, 2021, 06:55:36 AM »
I have noticed the bars acting balky for a while, not showing full after a fill up until a few miles down the road. After my last fillup 10 miles from home it appears stuck on empty. I do have Brians device installed. This is an 08 with 100,000 miles but the tank and fuel pump are from my 09 with only  55,000.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Fuel gauge stuck
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 09:01:35 AM »
Perhaps your sensor float is sticking (not freely moving) in the tank?  Your description seems consistent with that.  I would try running a half bottle of Techron through a full tank of gas.  If that doesn't work, you might have to take the tank and pump/float assembly out to see if something is wrong (float not moving freely, connectors loose or corroded).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
I was thinking the float arm was binding or maybe the float sprung a leak. I will try the Techron first.

Offline PH14

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »
I was thinking the float arm was binding or maybe the float sprung a leak. I will try the Techron first.

You may want to do some wheelies and go over some jumps. That may shake it loose.  :finger_fing11:

Or, as Maxtog suggested, Techron.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 01:40:48 PM »
You may want to do some wheelies and go over some jumps. That may shake it loose.  :finger_fing11:

I actually thought about suggesting that (or just shaking the bike back and forth hard), but thought perhaps it wouldn't be prudent :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 03:33:24 PM »
I just had my fork seals replaced, no wheelies for me!

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
I put half a bottle of injector cleaner and went adhead and cranked it sense I had the fob and hand on the knob.

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
I put half a bottle of injector cleaner and went adhead and cranked it sense I had the fob and hand on the knob.

Good to hear. Hopefully it will stay that way.