Author Topic: Connie EFI 2.0  (Read 7089 times)

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
Re: Connie EFI 2.0
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »
might need an injector cleaned. (one might be hanging up).

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

gpineau

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 04:50:19 PM »
I made an injector tester but I never learned how to clean one.  Do you know how?

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 08:13:35 PM »
last ones i cleaned out of a shop (used to work at a car dealer long time ago with the right stuff) was ultrasonically clean them in a tank. did this for my stepsons 850 volvo, actually worked.

I mean, if an injectors hung, it will show on one plug specifically. id pull the spark plugs. If its across all 4, its something else. like a bad or dirty 02 sensor.  .02
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

gpineau

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 09:42:59 PM »
well I tested the injectors and they were working before before I assembled everything.
I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I used to use for carbs. Not sure if it even works any more.

I am thinking more along the lines of corrupt memory in the ECU.  Looking in my data log there is some weird ****. Like spark advance 107 degrees!!! There is no value in the spark table bigger than 32 degrees.....To keep from having to start the tuning from scratch I built the firmware from the latest release.  Then I pulled the latest tune off of the other C10 and loaded it onto this new board. I was told by the friends on Speeduino forum that there is probably an incompatibility of memory locations between the two firmware revisions.  So... I am starting from scratch now and doing all the setup from the beginning, then I will import the fuel allocation, spark timing, and AFR tables one by one. That should eliminate any memory corruption problems.   (its also a lot of tedious work).

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »
i had a standalone ecu lose it stables before on a different bike. it can be frustrating at best, but yeah that would def explain it. !!

gpineau

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 12:58:40 PM »
Ok made some progress after wasting a week on a side project that really did not help much on this project. I started the motor on speed density using MAP vacuum for fuel loading.  There is not enough rang of vacuum on a motorcycle with throttle bodies so I switched over to Alpha-n for fuel loading (Throttle position sensor). Now it runs better and idles much smoother. I have some more tweaking to do before taking it out for a spin....I am including the latest video. A little embarrassing but don't laugh too loud.

https://youtu.be/sxK1A8m3REk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 05:06:39 AM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »
It is Aaaaa-live!

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
What happened to Man of Blues? I have 2 pages of comments but nothing from him?  Is he alright?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 07:41:36 AM »
Last time active was Nov 5th last year.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2021, 04:41:52 AM »
Last time active was Nov 5th last year.
I thought he was very involved with the COG forum right now but I know he is also fighting long-term sickness. :(
Can anyone check when he was last active on the COG forum?
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline kkja13

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2021, 07:48:34 AM »
The last post I could find for Man of Blues on the COG site was Nov 3.  Not sure how well the search works since they threw me off that site for not being a member back in Feb. 

There was a mention of chemo in a post from Sept.

gpineau

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 09:22:09 AM »
Chemo! That's bad news. I'm starting to worry. I hope we haven't lost him.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 07:46:20 AM »
I've been messaging and calling him for several months.
No replies at all.
if anyone knows how he is doing, let us know.
If anyone is in contact with him, {let us know} and tell him we're concerned about him.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
Ive been going to classes and working and had very little time to work on the bike but today I got to go for a ride. 
Before today it have been running poorly and nearly impossible to tune. I found two problems. The fuel filter was full of crud which after warm up nearly closed off when the bike was hot.  Then it is idling  rough and running too rich rich. I found some small  injectors on ebay and downsized from 420 cc/min  to 230cc/min. That smoothed idle right out. 

Took it for a tuning ride today. . Did really well. AFR was all over the place when I left but when I got home it was between 13.8 and 15 depending on which gear I was in and if accelerating or down shifting. Auto-tune is worth every penny...So far it screams through first and second gear and feels like it has a lot more power than it did when it was carbureted. Never got out of second gear the whole time. School was letting out so I had to bring it home before I got reported. Tomorrow is my day off so I will have more time to spend on tuning.   
Video Tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:45:49 PM by gpineau »

gpineau

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 04:41:03 PM »
I think I have a sticky intake valve, not sure but I can hear it spit back through one of the TBs when I slow down for a corner. I can hear it sometimes while idling.

I can't remember if I have ever adjusted the valves on this bike.  But stickling open is not a common problem with these bikes, is it? ???

gpineau

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »
A quick run around the block to prove to my wife i wasn't goofing off all day.
Its got a little dead spot in the throttle when you first go to WOT but when it gets past that point it has a lot of acceleration.
I had the wife take the video because my go-pro clone is not working. ( i ordered a new one) . Listen when I first try to accelerate. It bogs down for a second then takes off. https://youtu.be/Mu-Qv1WY_nE

gpineau

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
Summary of the project
https://youtu.be/iUppXPYqMNk

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »
Hard to tell the bog as don't know exactly when you twisted the loud handle.
But, it seems that your getting close.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Sticking valves not common, but some issues with carbon on the valves not letting them seat.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »
I'm impressed with your dedication, especially with the health issues.  This EFI stuff is rocket science to me so I reached out to Dynojet.co.uk and they replied nope can't help you.

gpineau

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2021, 07:41:32 PM »
 Dynojet is a tuner for bikes that are already EFI

I started by building my own and was in the process of writing the software when I discovered the guys in the UK that were miles ahead using the same hardware. So I abandoned my project and adopted theirs.

It is an open source (meaning free)  software/hardware solution to EFI.
Meaning you can take their software and modify it to suit youself or use it as is. Yu can take the hardware design and make you own boards or purchase one from several suppliers.

It is called speeduino and was started by a guy in the UK named Josh Stewart. I joined his online forum and slack group and just watched and learned for a couple months. When I thought I had a grasp of his product I ordered one and did my first build on a Honda Magna about 2 years ago. I did my second one on a Connie C10 last year  and I am now working on my second Connie with a few enhancements over the first. I have had a ton of fun. All the hard work pays off when your cranking it and you hear that first cough..cough..cough.. You know you are getting close.

If you want to look into it, the product is called speeduino . you can buy it from several vendors. the software is free and there is a forum similar to this with lots of knowledgeable people that can help you through your struggles. I am a fully baptized member of the forum.

Check them out.  The forum https://speeduino.com/forum/index.php
Slack  https://app.slack.com/client/T09MSCUFM/C282KTG6R
Speeduino wiki   https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/home