Author Topic: DirecTV and Dolby Digital issues  (Read 2107 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
DirecTV and Dolby Digital issues
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
Have any of you DirecTV users had any problems with the Dolby Digital surround on live sporting events (and a few primetime shows)?

In the last month or so, I've had an issue with not being able to get voice on these shows and only hear the occassional sub-woofer thump. Most of the time, the sound is fine on the show, but falls out on most of the commercials of sporting events. On major primetime shows, I'll get sound for the show, but not for the commercials or for the previews for the following week. During one of the recent golf tournaments, I didn't have sound on the event, but did on the commercials.

If I switch my tuner off of Dolby Digital and to one of the pseudo-surround settings, I get the voice back. It's very aggrevating.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: DirecTV and Dolby Digital issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
I always had issues with them in Va., the problem they have is the commercials might be pushed by local or alternate carriers, and they are not compatable with the format. Other issues require frequent re boots on the reciever, and even other issues stem from the plug in phone line. It was really annoying, especially when I was paying a premium for the "Sunday ticket" football broadcasts.... call and complain. It never helps, but after being on hold for 45 minutes to get some one to tell you to try all the fixes, you can drink enough that you just don't care anymore... we have cable in Ohio, and other than reboot issues, it gives us surround.. but somtimes it isn't synched to the broadcast, so it sounds like you are in an empty concert hall, with echos...mehhh

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: DirecTV and Dolby Digital issues
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
Audio not synched' with the Video? The bane of my digital existence! Drives me nuts and apparently I am the only one who notices it. Mine is not related to satellite TV though but the problem jumps across all / any digital formats I use.

The solution is to delay the audio which can usually be done in a digital TV. The problem with mine (Samsung) is that I have to call up a menu, then a sub- menu, then the time delay bar and shift it one way or the other and see if the synch. got better or worse. Takes a while to dial in, and the next thing I watch is out- of- synch. anyway. And in the middle of this annoying fix, I have to listen to 'the others' who complain and ask why I 'cannot just watch the show'. !! 'Cause it is like watching a dubbed version of a Japanese horror movie, that's why!

What I really need is a dial so that I can advance / retard the audio from the current point to where it is correct. They are kinda', sorta' available but prohibitively expensive and besides, I have enough things wired together to make a 'television'.

OK, off holiday rant now.

Brian

<snip>

but somtimes it isn't synched to the broadcast, so it sounds like you are in an empty concert hall, with echos...mehhh
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com