Author Topic: Potential future hitch in the works  (Read 10113 times)

Son of Pappy

Potential future hitch in the works
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
One of our instructors is a machinist/welder/rider.  We did some lookin this past weekend and he feels he can make a set.  His question is how many would purchase a set, provided they were reasonably priced?  He'll be using my bike for the R&R and like Ryan, we'll seek input from the forum as things progress.  If there is a fair sized demand we will move forward with the project once things slow down, which is about a month away.

3 questions I'd like answered
Want?
Desired price range?
Likelyhood you would order a set if you like the looks and price.

Not sure about a group buy, but that would be up to Roy and of course demand.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Potential future hitch in the works
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
Well, I'd be interested in a hitch.

A quick web search finds a couple available in the $245~$269 price range, so I guess you'd have to beat that to get any interest.

I'd prefer a receiver type hitch, though it doesn't have to be a "hidden" design, as my rear fender has been cut down.  I'd like to remove the ball when it isn't needed, though.  And the ability to put some other accessory there would be nice.  (Small luggage rack or something)  So if the design wasn't "hidden", then a standard 1.25" horizontal receiver would be my preference.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
Very interested. And if it has Son of pappy engraved somewhere, that will increase the value too. And if you become a reseller for trailers thats a plus too.

One last thing, a somewhat ease of taking it on and off would be NICE.  The cheap-O ones I've seen appear to be a PAIN to deal with, maybe I'm wrong.

I used to think "trailers" were mainly for the rainbow crowd till I talked with this feller' at the Dragon.

Now I want a pimp custom rig for the long hauls
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:48:33 PM »
and I thought you said you're retired heheh I can't wait to retire to such fun jobs and projects, thanks for being an inspiration.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
I am very interested in putting a hitch on my bike. Funny you post this thread I was just pricing trailers earlier today.

Price is not an issue, I will grab ZG's wallet when I see him next  :P

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
I am very interested in putting a hitch on my bike. Funny you post this thread I was just pricing trailers earlier today.

+1  I'll use PayWithMyPal too 8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
Now I want a pimp custom rig for the long hauls
I'm thinking a missile motif.

EDIT:  Didn't notice when I first looked, but that Mustang trailer really has some nice detail.  It even looks like the wheels are resting on a tiny car-carrying trailer.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »

:o    :battle:

I take time out of my day today to give the guy a b-day present this afternoon for his Connie and this is how I'm treated...  ;D ;)

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
Ok so trailers on bikes.  I think it would be a great idea to be able to haul some more stuff. Two up cross country on the bike makes packing tough.  I'm guessing the GTR has plenty of power for it too.  Is the general consensus to use a two wheel trailer with a twist joint in the arm.  Or is there any merit to the one wheel leaning designs?

I guess I might be in,  depending on total cost.  I have seen quotes for motorcycle trailers that go higher than my car hauler.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

:o    :battle:

I take time out of my day today to give the guy a b-day present this afternoon for his Connie and this is how I'm treated...  ;D ;)
It's not like you took time off from work is it? ::)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
It's not like you took time off from work is it? ::)

:rotflmao:    :-X   ;D

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »
Is the general consensus to use a two wheel trailer with a twist joint in the arm.  Or is there any merit to the one wheel leaning designs?
I know plenty of folks that don't bother with the pivot joint type trailers.  A lot of folks use the Harbor Freight trailers with a cargo box bolted to them.  (HF also makes one that comes with the box, and is narrower than the one that a lot of folks use.)   Cheap Frugal and they work well.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »
Does Jim Miller-Millerized- still make hitches, or did I think he used to?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 07:32:18 AM »
I know plenty of folks that don't bother with the pivot joint type trailers.  A lot of folks use the Harbor Freight trailers with a cargo box bolted to them.  (HF also makes one that comes with the box, and is narrower than the one that a lot of folks use.)   Cheap Frugal and they work well.

Will they rail the curves as easy as a pivot type? The Honda in the pic above had pivot and the rider told me he rails it in the turns and notices nothing from his lean angles, only slight differences are braking into the turns and accelerating out (under heavy load)

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
Does Jim Miller-Millerized- still make hitches, or did I think he used to?
No unfortunately after the 2010 National rally Jimmy washed his hands with the Connie and COG; very long story.  He did give me his prints for the hitch before he went MIA.  I have one of his hitches that I modified so that I can carry a small rack attached.  It works awesome for a cooler.  I was the official water boy for a handfull of people at the 2012 rally.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:27 AM »
Will they rail the curves as easy as a pivot type? The Honda in the pic above had pivot and the rider told me he rails it in the turns and notices nothing from his lean angles, only slight differences are braking into the turns and accelerating out (under heavy load)
I personally would not pull a trailer with a straight hitch.  I you lean into a corner and the the ball stops your lean it is going to get ugly real fast.  I use a swivel hitch on my C-10 and on my GL1500. I  almost drug pegs pulling the trailer in AR.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »
attaboy snarf, if you can't sweet talk'em drug'em.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
attaboy snarf, if you can't sweet talk'em drug'em.
Oh yeah...I have a pick up line that works 99% of the time.  "excuse me miss; does this rag smell like Chloroform?"
2002 Conc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »
Hitches/trailers are for Goldwings. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey