Author Topic: New Rotors from China  (Read 26388 times)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
Re: New Rotors from China
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:48 AM »
I made brackets and converted my 86 fronts to 320mm with Tokico 4 pots. Right now I am using Kevlar pads but will be trying some HH before too long.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »
2Fast, the 320mm rotors, are they semi-floaters or solid like the 83-93 OEMS?
If semi-floaters how did ya mount them.

Sorry Snarf, but nobody I know of is making the adapters for the early C10s any more.
ZRXMopar used to make them and a guy called Russell on the Aussie forum made some different ones, but to my knowledge they don't make these any more.

Mine look like this. The rotors are cheap steel ones and rusted badly.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
I will split  the set with you on a pair of Vulcan Nomad rotors
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline 2fast

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
2Fast, the 320mm rotors, are they semi-floaters or solid like the 83-93 OEMS?
If semi-floaters how did ya mount them.

Sorry Snarf, but nobody I know of is making the adapters for the early C10s any more.
ZRXMopar used to make them and a guy called Russell on the Aussie forum made some different ones, but to my knowledge they don't make these any more.

Boomer, the 320's I used are floaters. They are not rusting and work just fine so far. I got them from this seller, and he has em on sale at the moment.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-Disc-Rotor-For-Yamaha-YZF-R7-OW02-750-99-01?item=310261175803&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8168830675059376179#ht_1107wt_952They are actually made to fit a Yamaha, and the mounting holes need to be drilled out slightly. The adaptors I made are for the early models. I don't think ZRXMopar ever made them for early models, but I could be wrong. The look like this http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2878840720063175854VehkJS
Brian in Minnesota

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

enim57

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »
I am running Nissin 4 piston calipers on an '86 model with the Chinese discs, the discs are the standard 270mm diameter.
I did buy the rear disc but did not fit it as the OEM disc is still in tolerance and not warped.

As for Russell in Australia making the adapters for 4 piston calipers, that's me (see my sig line). I can still make the adapters but don't have any at the moment as there has not been interest in them for quite a while. I can make more but making batch quantities is not an option due to the lack of interest. The laser cutters have a minimum charge so I guess the price of a set would be about AU$150 including postage.

Regards, Russell

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
Just for the record, no rust on rotors, still working well. 

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
I am running Nissin 4 piston calipers on an '86 model with the Chinese discs, the discs are the standard 270mm diameter.
I did buy the rear disc but did not fit it as the OEM disc is still in tolerance and not warped.

As for Russell in Australia making the adapters for 4 piston calipers, that's me (see my sig line). I can still make the adapters but don't have any at the moment as there has not been interest in them for quite a while. I can make more but making batch quantities is not an option due to the lack of interest. The laser cutters have a minimum charge so I guess the price of a set would be about AU$150 including postage.

Regards, Russell

Thanks Russell, if I remember right your adapters are a lot tidier looking than those I have (the ZRXMopar ones).
Could you please post a pic of yours fitted?
Thanks for letting me know about the front rotors.
I guess I need to order a set. If I need to fit a different rear rotor, then I haven't lost much.

For those still running with the single piston OEM calipers on your 86-93, you have to experience these 4 piston Nissin calipers to understand. They aren't as good as the radial calipers on my C14 but they are 90% of the way there.
The OEM calipers are about 20%, less if they are old/dirty/worn.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Boomer, the 320's I used are floaters. They are not rusting and work just fine so far. I got them from this seller, and he has em on sale at the moment.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-Disc-Rotor-For-Yamaha-YZF-R7-OW02-750-99-01?item=310261175803&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8168830675059376179#ht_1107wt_952They are actually made to fit a Yamaha, and the mounting holes need to be drilled out slightly. The adaptors I made are for the early models. I don't think ZRXMopar ever made them for early models, but I could be wrong. The look like this http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2878840720063175854VehkJS
Thanks Brian,
Would you consider making another set of brackets?
Semi-floaters would be better than the fixed rotors.
There are still quite a few 86-93 owners out here.
So, if Russell can provide small numbers of brackets for the OEM rotors and you could provide small numbers for the semi-floaters, we could all learn what decent brakes feel like.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline 2fast

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
I have a fellow working on them right now. Not sure how fast they will be done, but I should have a few sets available. They require a Tokico 4 pot caliper set with a little bit of milling on the mating surface, and the 320's from China or elsewhere.  Pretty easy swap after the stuff is all in a pile.
Brian in Minnesota

enim57

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
Hi Boomer,
Pictures posted as requested. See also last post of  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=657.0
Your comments are correct about what a difference the 4 piston calipers make. These calipers make much more braking power than larger discs alone. From memory compared to standard they have 33% more pad area and 136% more piston area.

Regards, Russell

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2012, 06:21:53 AM »
Thanks Brian and Russell,
I will probably go with Russells as I already have the Nissin Calipers.
Either way I am looking at $200 worth of Chinese rotors and the brackets but with yours Brian I would need calipers as well.
If I were super cheap I could carry on with Shauns brackets but they aren't the prettiest.

Russell, how much (with shipping to the UK), how do I pay, and how soon?  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

enim57

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »
Hi George (Boomer),
Thanks for your interest in the brackets.

I am waiting for a reply from the laser cutters and I will then be able to give you a price and lead time.

With payment I used to ask for an account transfer but the banks charge both of us a fortune to do this, more for you than me (I usually mention that I have great disdain for banks). So I now have a PayPal acount. After I post the price contact me via the private section and we can swap email and street addresses.

Regards, Russell

enim57

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
Hi George (Boomer),
Just got information from laser cutters.

Price for the set (2 brackets) including postage to UK and instructions: AU$136
Lead time: laser cutters & me 2 weeks (maybe less), post 3 - 10 days (in the past Europe & USA have taken about 7 days)

To reduce price I need quantity, If any others place orders along with yours price will reduce.

If you are still  interested please contact me in the private section.

Thanks & regards, Russell

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:12 AM »
Have just ordered a pair of brackets from Russell.
If anyone else want some of these to fit an 86 to 93 C10 with Nissin or Tokico 4 piston calipers, let him know as the more that order, the lower the cost.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline gruff54

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2012, 04:14:05 AM »
Just pm'd Russell that I'll take a set.
Mike

enim57

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2012, 05:48:22 AM »
OK, looks like I have orders for 2 sets, that makes the price now AU$125 per set mailed to UK or USA.
If anyone else is interested let me know so I can work out a revised price. I will need to know by Monday (in Australia) so payment can be made before I order from laser cutters, it's not that I am mistrusting but I'm a pensioner. Lead time is still the same as stated earlier.

Thanks & regards, Russell

PS Boomer & gruff54,
Thanks for orders. I will contact you after final numbers are known.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
If anyone else is interested let me know

pm sent
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

enim57

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
Ok, I have orders for 3 sets and the price is now AU$118 per set delivered UK or USA.

If any more are required let me know soon as I will be finalising this and ordering the cut blanks tomorrow.

Regards, Russell

Offline Mike Rowe

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2012, 09:19:58 PM »
Hi, late to the conversation  and new to bikes.. I have a new to me 1989 c10 A4 and am looking at new rotors. I don't know much about this so am looking for help.. If I order the chinese rotors what else do I need if I get the 4 pot calipers from Russell? I like the sounds of better stopping...

thanks Mike
Mike Rowe
1989 Concours C1000 A4

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 05:25:54 AM »
Hi Mike,

With an early C10 you have 2 choices.

1. Standard sized rotors (280mm) with Russells brackets and either Nissin or Tokico 4 piston calipers. Mine has Nissins from a CBR900RR (2001).
2. Yamaha sized 320mm semi-floating rotors with 2Fasts brackets and the Tokico 4 piston calipers.

The new rotors will improve the braking slightly.
The 4 piston calipers make a MASSIVE difference.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK