Author Topic: About to pull the trigger  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Tall Moon

About to pull the trigger
« on: July 17, 2021, 11:21:30 AM »
Switched jobs and now have a 50 mile commute.  My last Kawasaki was a 1984 900R.  I'm looking at two similar 2008 C14 right now, wondering what I should know.  Both have 22,000 or so. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: About to pull the trigger
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 05:07:07 PM »
Additionally, ABS unit failure on these older bikes is a potential issue if the fluid hasn't been changed/flushed periodically - like every 2 years as recommended.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 08:20:10 PM »
Additionally, ABS unit failure on these older bikes is a potential issue if the fluid hasn't been changed/flushed periodically - like every 2 years as recommended.

Most likely there is no ABS on these 2008 models.

Offline Tall Moon

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 08:59:56 AM »
Thanks, both are non ABS models.  The cracked frame due to over torqued motor mounts on some has me worried.  Any photos on where to look?  One has some European aftermarket front brake discs because it had a vibration during braking.  This didn't fix the problem but the next owner figured out that there was an easy fix by cleaning something with wd40.  An aftermarket pipe on one and aftermarket seats on both of them.  Both are under $6000 which seems decent. 

Offline jwh20

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »
Thanks, both are non ABS models.  The cracked frame due to over torqued motor mounts on some has me worried.  Any photos on where to look?  One has some European aftermarket front brake discs because it had a vibration during braking.  This didn't fix the problem but the next owner figured out that there was an easy fix by cleaning something with wd40.  An aftermarket pipe on one and aftermarket seats on both of them.  Both are under $6000 which seems decent.

The ABS option on the 08s was a fairly expensive upgrade and not too many made it into the wild.  I've not heard of the cracked frame issue but if either of these have that you'll want to steer clear as that's a big problem that likely has no fix.

The "vibrating" front brakes is a relatively common problem but is due, in my opinion, to some roughened areas on the rotors caused by some sort of corrosion between the rotors and the pads.  Seems to be caused by parking the bike with wet and hot brakes.  My 2012 had this when I first got it but burnishing the rotors with a 3M paint remover disk solved it.  I wouldn't put WD-40 on any part of the brakes!

$6K for an 08 seems really high to me.  I'd keep shopping if I were you.  KBB says trade in is $3790 and dealer price is $5500.  If this is a private party sale you should be looking to pay something between those two figures.

https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/kawasaki/zg1400b-concours-14/2008/?pricetype=retail&vehicleclass=motorcycles

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »
Here's an illustration of a ZX14 frame where the centre stand is attached, from the Kaw service bulletin.

Here's a pic of the repaired frame from a ZG14 owned by Michelle in the thread below.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23720.0

It's a very rare failure which is not easy to detect or see - unless the centre stand gets wonky, and then it's proply broke like the OP in the thread above.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:48:51 PM by Freddy »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 02:26:10 AM »
Welcome Tall Moon,

I've never heard of a single cracked frame on a C14, other than those that have crashed hard of course.

The fix for "warped" rotors is to clean out the bobbins with spray brake cleaner until they can be rotated.
This only affected the Kawasaki OEM rotors. I had to do that 3 times on my OEM rotors before I replaced them at 42k miles.
Since then I've had Chinese Arashi rotors and EBC or SBS HH pads on mine for 33k miles and zero issues with those.
The bobbins on the EBC rotors don't turn anyways as they are square and I've not heard of anyone having such issues with any other rotors.
If someone is putting WD40 anywhere near their brake rotors they have a death wish.  :o

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Freddy

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 02:34:19 AM »
I've never heard of a single cracked frame on a C14, other than those that have crashed hard of course.  says Boomer.

Ya have now, but it is rare.  There's been only a few reports that I've seem over the years.  As mentioned in that thread I linked to, the over torqued rear engine mount was/is the cause.  It spreads the frame apart at that point.

Note that the specified torque in the series 1 FSM is wrong.  It was reduced when this failure showed up on ZX14 bikes.  The series 2 FSM has the revised/lower torque.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:36:37 PM by Freddy »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 02:59:02 AM »
Thanks Freddy. :)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Tall Moon

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »
Well one is still available, not the one I was leaning towards.   Looking at some FJR1300 bikes as well. 

Offline timdow

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »
I just came off an FJR to the C14 Connie.  Both are fine bikes.  If I were shopping for another bike (hopefully not soon), I would look at both and choose either based on low-mile, price, etc.

Well one is still available, not the one I was leaning towards.   Looking at some FJR1300 bikes as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 03:24:06 PM »
I just came off an FJR to the C14 Connie.  Both are fine bikes.  If I were shopping for another bike (hopefully not soon), I would look at both and choose either based on low-mile, price, etc.

They are both nice, and really about the only two left in the affordable sport touring market.   Used, you can also throw in the now old/discontinued (in 2013) Honda ST1300, but that is quite lackluster compared to the Concours and FJR.  BWM has the RT (only 2 cyl) or K, but they are supposedly quite a bit less reliable and certainly way more expensive to buy and maintain (new or used).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc