Author Topic: May have nearly stripped my battery box bolt  (Read 9380 times)

Offline MrPepsi

May have nearly stripped my battery box bolt
« on: July 19, 2011, 09:47:17 AM »
So checking out my battery the other day, and putting the door back on, I had the bolt crooked I think. Tried to finger tighten it, then realized the err of my ways, backed it out and tried to correct it. No go. I didn't want to do any more damage so I sinched it down at what I think was the correct angle, but I didn't want to force it all the way. Its only what, a half inch of threads in the nut that is welded to the frame. Can I even tap that out again? What to do.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
Re: May have nearly stripped my battery box bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
The dealership did this to me.  I was not happy, but I was able to run a thread chaser through it and it's been fine since then.  The threads don't look pretty, but I haven't had any problem threading the bolt in there. 
I feel like a new person!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01:17 AM »
You used the same bolt after that?
Any idea what size thread chaser you used?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
I want to say that I found another bolt, but I really can't remember.  As far as the chaser I'd have to be at home to check on the size.  I'll take a look when I get there.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »
I would appreciate answers to both and I'll keep an eye out for your reply.
Thanks bunches.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »
Sears sells a kit to restore threads.  Might not be a bad investment.  I've heard using taps and dies aren't the best in renewing threads.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942275000P?sid=comm_sears_productpg

No doubt there are other kits out there as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »
That's the exact one I have, but seeing as how they're all one big happy family now  mine says Mac on it and I probably paid more because of that.  I highly recommend having this kit--especially when working with fasteners that are harder than the material they're fastening to. 

Offline MrPepsi

Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
It is really not possible to fully restore mangled (technical term) threads. A cutting tap will simply cut new threads in whatever material is left and that leaves a very weak threaded hole. A forming tap (the 'thread restorers') will re-form the threads to a degree but some material will no doubt be lost again resulting in weak threads.

The better way to go is to have the hole resized and sleeved. You could do this yourself but given the expense of the tools (drill, tap and the actual sleeves) and considering there is a learning curve to use these sleeves, I would suggest finding someone who would do it for you. Larger motorcycle shops often do this as a service. Once a sleeve is in place, it will be stronger than it was originally and as the new threads will be either steel or stainless steel, odds are that you will not have any trouble cross- threading a screw again, at least not in that hole. The service should not be overly expensive. Make sure whoever does it cleans up any chips that end up in the frame though as that is part of the induction system and behind the air filter- any chips introduced in the frame will end up in the engine shortly.

Brian

So checking out my battery the other day, and putting the door back on, I had the bolt crooked I think. Tried to finger tighten it, then realized the err of my ways, backed it out and tried to correct it. No go. I didn't want to do any more damage so I sinched it down at what I think was the correct angle, but I didn't want to force it all the way. Its only what, a half inch of threads in the nut that is welded to the frame. Can I even tap that out again? What to do.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
Brian, is there anything you don't know?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 12:52:43 PM »
It is really not possible to fully restore mangled (technical term) threads. A cutting tap will simply cut new threads in whatever material is left and that leaves a very weak threaded hole. A forming tap (the 'thread restorers') will re-form the threads to a degree but some material will no doubt be lost again resulting in weak threads.

The better way to go is to have the hole resized and sleeved. You could do this yourself but given the expense of the tools (drill, tap and the actual sleeves) and considering there is a learning curve to use these sleeves, I would suggest finding someone who would do it for you. Larger motorcycle shops often do this as a service. Once a sleeve is in place, it will be stronger than it was originally and as the new threads will be either steel or stainless steel, odds are that you will not have any trouble cross- threading a screw again, at least not in that hole. The service should not be overly expensive. Make sure whoever does it cleans up any chips that end up in the frame though as that is part of the induction system and behind the air filter- any chips introduced in the frame will end up in the engine shortly.

Brian

I totally agree but that's a lot of work.  I'd try the thread chaser first.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
While Brian's advice is probably the best, I would go with the thread chaser too.  It doesn't sound like you bunged it (another technical term) too badly.  Mine was pretty bad and I haven't had any problems with it.  The bolt threaded it without complaint and tightened up.  I've pulled it out many times and haven't been worried about threading it back in.

I believe Brian is referring to a Heli-Coil type fix.  These things are great (but just the kit can be expensive), and it allows you to have a steel sleeve in the hole rather than just cutting  threads back into an aluminum tang with a steel fastener. 

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
Yes I have used those in the past, but I'm not sure that's needed just yet.
I would like to use the thread chaser first.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Yeah, as others said, I was recommending a Heli-coil or similar thread repair. They are permanent and even better than brand new threads in aluminum. Reforming the original thread may work but the threads won't be back to 100%. Of course there is nothing wrong with trying that first, especially if you use a torque wrench to make sure the bolt will come up to fill torque.

You can make a 'quasi' thread chaser out of the proper size bolt by grinding a gash down the length of the threads with a bench grinder or an angle grinder. Then dull the leading edge of the gash by using a file to take off the sharp edges of the gash. Be very careful to start the bolt in straight because you are going to be moving whatever is left of the threads; you absolutely do not want to force this bolt into the hole crooked. Coating the bolt with heavy oil or even better, grease will help the process and help to catch any broken threads. I still would recommend taking the tank off the bike, removing the throttle body covers and cleaning inside the frame when you are done.

Best of luck.

Brian

Yes I have used those in the past, but I'm not sure that's needed just yet.
I would like to use the thread chaser first.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
Thank you, Dietrich!   ;)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
I still would recommend taking the tank off the bike, removing the throttle body covers and cleaning inside the frame when you are done.

Well crap, now you're just talking crazy talk.
Take the tank off this beast, yeah right.
That's what my favorite female owned moto shop is for. ;D
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »
If you are going to bring it to a shop.... and you are going to have them lift the tank and open the frame to clean in there after re-working that threaded hole.... why not just give them another $20 and have them fix the threaded hole correctly and forever with a thread insert?

I mean at some point we all end up working harder to get around something that just doing it.  ;)

Brian

Well crap, now you're just talking crazy talk.
Take the tank off this beast, yeah right.
That's what my favorite female owned moto shop is for. ;D

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
Totally, I will at some point have it repaired properly, however to just attempt to clean up the threads a bit, I plan to do that myself, but if you think I need to take off the tank after I do that, I'll have the cold beer waiting for you.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
I totally agree but that's a lot of work.  I'd try the thread chaser first.

Yeah, I mean, it is a battery door... it is not some important safety-related bolt.  The damn door has a ton of other bolts holding it on anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
My battery door only has this one bolt.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"