Author Topic: Plastic taps !!!!  (Read 4612 times)

Offline apocalypse

Plastic taps !!!!
« on: July 18, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I am looking forr these plastic caps !!!
Any ideas to buy from the net !!!

thanks in advance !!!

Offline RBX QB

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Plastic taps !!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »
I've got two lost in the nether regions of the fairing. Their yours if you can find them.  :)

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
I've got two lost in the nether regions of the fairing. Their yours if you can find them.  :)

Only 2?

The trick on those 2 behind the windscreen is the plastic insert that is INSIDE the fairing at that location (snaps from INSIDE the fairing)... I've only lost one of those, and now have a couple extras on hand just in case. Just be careful when you put those push rivets back into place that you don't pop out those inner "trim ring" looking ones that stay with the dash panel.

But, there's not much force on those, so if you do lose one, it's not the end of the world. I ran without one of those rivets for a while without any ill effects...
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
I found some that have 'pulls' on them so that I can take them out at any shield position.  I'd give you a part number but I'm sans bike at the moment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
There are tabs behind them onto which you can slip clip-nuts and then secure everything with 5 or 6 mm screws. I find it quicker to remove the windscreen to get to everything.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Fretka

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
I noticed my local Home Depot, Lowes etc had a pull out tray in the hardware section with a good selection of these evil things. Prolly save some money too.
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
I found some that have 'pulls' on them so that I can take them out at any shield position.  I'd give you a part number but I'm sans bike at the moment.

:o
where is she? now you'll be the first who lost the bike while keeping the FOB...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »
I noticed my local Home Depot, Lowes etc had a pull out tray in the hardware section with a good selection of these evil things. Prolly save some money too.

+1 the Automotive section has the tabs... that's were I got mine.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:08 AM »
I made a tool out of coat hanger wire to get these out with the windshield still on. About 6" long, one end just has a 90 degree bend about 1/4" long for pushing the center in and the other end I just flatten with a hammer, make a small 1/8" jog to get under the lip and pop it out.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:35:22 PM »
They're push rivets. Check this out...

Actually, those may not be push rivets on his bike. I have only plastic caps in that location on my 2011. I know they were supposed to be push rivets, since everyone else has them, but I figured the guy who set the bike up did not replace them with the rivets or they ran out of them at the factory and stuck whatever was on the floor in there. I've been meaning to get a couple of the rivets though.  The caps don't hold the panels tight up there, but there is no vibration, so I've not bothered.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 05:24:56 AM »
:o
where is she? now you'll be the first who lost the bike while keeping the FOB...

That would be something wouldn't it?  I've lost the bike, but miraculously I still have the fob.  The bike is in the garage waiting for me to get back to add yet more farkles to it.  It never ends.  The biggest money pit (in a good way) I've got.

It's actually too hot to ride (on purpose) here.  I've just loaded a new app on my Kindle Fire that tells you whether or not to ride based on the local weather.  You input the upper/lower limits on what weather you would ride in and it figures out whether you should or not.  I've really got it more for the novelty, but it's interesting.  It shows you either a cage or MC as to whether you should ride or not.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »
That would be something wouldn't it?  I've lost the bike, but miraculously I still have the fob.  The bike is in the garage waiting for me to get back to add yet more farkles to it.  It never ends.  The biggest money pit (in a good way) I've got.

Not married? No kids? Not a homeowner?  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »
I have many money pits.  The ones you describe as well.  This forum is horrible.  I see things.  I buy them.  It's worse than the boat I had many years ago.  The other money pits are necessary.  The bike isn't, yet I still buy.  Doing my bit for the economy.