Author Topic: Individual air filters  (Read 670 times)

Offline Furbo

• Arena
Individual air filters
« on: March 06, 2021, 08:40:01 AM »
Ok,

MoB, SISF, other gurus, convince me yet again why individual Uni/K&N filters are bad.

Gotta remove crabs as the jacked up Ethanol gas has gummed my pilots up and again, I get that sinking feeling that the entire C-10 was shrink wrapped around the airbox.  :o

Gloriously, I took y'alls advice and installed drain tubes a decade ago - great advice that.

05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Individual air filters
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
I know people say do not use the pod filters. Is it because of airflow problems?

I don't like pods because they don't seem to provide any protection from rain water getting in during a stormy ride.

Offline mercer

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 07:36:20 AM »
I use Marvel mystery oil, Lucas fuel treatment as well as TW3 two stroke oil added to my gas. I have not had clogged jets or a stuck float needle in the years since! Small price to pay to avoid pulling carbs.

I mix the concoction above and dispense it sparingly on every fill. I also place some in catch mechanism of gas cap at same time.

I used fuel stabiliser in winter. This is considered to be useless by some testers however with ethanol gas. I skipped it this year.

Hope info helps....

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:42:17 AM »
its because cv carbs need massive re-tuning to work right with individual filters. Can it be done. absolutely. Yes, i've done it on other bikes including a GS1100, 650c nighthawk, 2nd gen CB750 etc. But if you are leery about pulling carbs every year or 3, its probably not for you.   Mercer gives good advice. I skip stabilizers though. just run the bike every few weeks till the fan cycles once. .02
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...