Author Topic: How Much Should This Cost ?  (Read 5054 times)

Offline royal

How Much Should This Cost ?
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:49:50 AM »

Hi All,

I have a 2010 Concours.  I called my dealer to give me a price for 2 PR2 tires, 7500 mile service and inspection.  He called me back with an estimate of $835.00.  Sounded kind of high to me and I came from owning BMWs (I thought their service costs were high).  Anyway, I obviously like to support my local dealer and if it costs me a few bucks more, I don't mind.  At the same time, I don't like getting ripped off.  So, is $835.00 reasonable or not ?

Thanks,

Royal
The Road Goes On Forever....

Offline PH14

Re: How Much Should This Cost ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
What all are they doing? Are they replacing the air filter and plugs?

Offline royal

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »

Yes, filter and plugs are included.  Also included is checking the header bolts and engine mounts for correct torque.

Royal
The Road Goes On Forever....

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »
He musta known you owned a Beemer :D  Since there aint no valves involved, and even then, I would say he is high.  I pay about $400 out the door for valves, plugs, and service.  I cant see tires being another$ 435.  I wonder if the dealer is confused or desperate?  I sold my RT for the excessive services associated with a bike that was actually used!  I'd suggest finding another dealer and getting a quote from them, may be worth the extra distance, if for nothing else, piece of mind.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
For that price I would buy some oil and a filter, a set of tires and a tire changer and still come out on top. lol You dont need plugs at 7500 miles and checking the header nuts is not that bad of a job.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
Note: As I am new to my 2008 and have only used the Dealer for Parts and off bike tire mounting, my knowledge is very limited. So consider my comments just my option no facts are listed here.....

I could see 2 PR2 + mounted + balanced + recycle fee + tax with the wheels on the bike costing near $400.

With the wheels off the bike I could see $350.

I have not done the plugs, but thought you have to pull so much off the bike (Fairing, Tank, etc), to get to the plugs the added cost for doing the valve inspection would be significantly cheaper... (Or maybe you can change the plugs without removing that much)

Once you have the rear tire off adding the spline moly should be cheaper (many suggest lubing the splines at every tire change), ALSO a coolant change with the fairing off SHOULD be much cheaper. (Also easy to check the header exhaust nuts with fairing off)

I am a firm believer that on any of my new bike / car / truck ..... change all fluids and lube everything as soon as the first service to ensure all the junk is flushed and all the sliding points have grease/moly. I also change to synthetic engine oil / gear oil. But I tend to keep most vehicles till they wear out.

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »
I have a 2010 Concours.  I called my dealer to give me a price for 2 PR2 tires, 7500 mile service and inspection.  He called me back with an estimate of $835.00.  Sounded kind of high to me and I came from owning BMWs (I thought their service costs were high).  Anyway, I obviously like to support my local dealer and if it costs me a few bucks more, I don't mind.  At the same time, I don't like getting ripped off.  So, is $835.00 reasonable or not ?

Ok, everyone seems to be being very polite today. So, YES YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF. NO, THIS IS NOT REASONABLE.  First of all, you don't need new plugs on this bike at 7500 miles. So, given that the tires may run you in the $400 range installed, what the hell is he charging you for the other $435.00??? Jeez-o-pete, he's gonna check your fluids and tighten some nuts. An hours worth of work MAX, and that includes his coffee break. Good work at that price point if you can get it, I guess. I would love to see his breakdown of this "service". Make sure the lube is included......
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
Ok, everyone seems to be being very polite today. So, YES YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF. NO, THIS IS NOT REASONABLE.  First of all, you don't need new plugs on this bike at 7500 miles. So, given that the tires may run you in the $400 range installed, what the hell is he charging you for the other $435.00??? Jeez-o-pete, he's gonna check your fluids and tighten some nuts. An hours worth of work MAX, and that includes his coffee break. Good work at that price point if you can get it, I guess. I would love to see his breakdown of this "service". Make sure the lube is included......

Pretty much what he said. You don't need plugs and any fluids he's going to check you can do yourself, even referring to the butchered syntax of the owner's manual.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »
A new set of tires if you bring the bike in to the dealer can run $400 up. Figure $110 for the front and about $150 for the rear = $260 + tax and another $100 to $125.00 to mount + balance and your at $400.00. At 7500 miles I would not replace the plugs, I just turned 7800 on my 09 and I did an oil & filter change at home. I had the front TP sensor replaced at the dealer today and told him I would see him at 15,000 for the 15,000 service.
Dealers are in it for  money, On the Gold Wing there are many who buy a new Wing and then post that they are taking it in for it's 600 miles service. The first service on a Gold Wing is at 4,000 miles not 600, but if the dealer can get you in thats more money in their pocket. Most people do a 500 or 600 miles oil cahnge and final drive fluid at home for about $40.00.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
Is he changing out the blinker fluid?   ;D

Make sure that he reapplies ID-TEN-T grease on your drive splines too...

Seriously though, other than mounting the tires, you should be doing this maintenance yourself, I would. The plugs shouldn't need to be changed at 7500 miles...

Offline Rawman

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
Make sure the lube is included......
Make sure YOUR lube is included for when they bend you over........

At 7500 miles they are gonna change oil and filter, change rear diff oil, change air filter and supposedly check nuts and bolts (they never do). 
At 18,000 miles of semi-hard riding, mine still did not need plugs.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
Make sure YOUR lube is included for when they bend you over........

Evidently the special sarcasm font I used isn't working.  ;)
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
ID-10-T  form

Classic Navy Newby Joke!!!!
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
That is funny, I just called mine in as well. They told me it would be 150 - 175 that is without tires.....I plan on doing the tires myself.

Also does anyone have a guide for the 7,500 mile tune-up? I figure if everyone else is doing themselves I will do the same.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
Hi All,

I have a 2010 Concours. I called my dealer to give me a price for 2 PR2 tires, 7500 mile service and inspection.  He called me back with an estimate of $835.00.  Sounded kind of high to me and I came from owning BMWs (I thought their service costs were high).  Anyway, I obviously like to support my local dealer and if it costs me a few bucks more, I don't mind.  At the same time, I don't like getting ripped off.  So, is $835.00 reasonable or not ?

Thanks,

Royal

Avoid stealerships !!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine