Author Topic: Pic of a worthless Magnetic Oil Drain Plug on a Honda Rebel with 3,000 miles..  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
I never saw the point of magnetic plugs.
They catch only the steel pieces and most of those would be picked up by the filter anyways.
Any bigger pieces will get swept away by oil flow anyways.
One of the reasons that wet sump motors last longer is that crud can settle to the bottom of the sump, out of harms way, and stay there.

When I first removed the sump from Sanji's motor there was about 3mm of metallic sludge at the bottom and this was after running Wynns Engine Flush in the oil for the last 50 miles.

I cleaned it out with solvents and some 10,000 miles later when I did gearbox rebuild #2 the sump was still clean but the 3rd time it had about a 1mm film.

Otto's motor has 160,000 miles and has never had anything other than Wynns every 4th or 5th oil change since I bought him @ 82,000 miles.
I change oil and filter every 6,000 miles and use unbranded semi-synth 10W40.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
I put 1 inch round cobalt magnets on the oil filter, the bottom of the magnetic oil drain plug, and the bottom of the rear end magnetic oil drain plug....the cobalt magnets are super powerful and you have to handle them very carefully or they snap together with such ferocity...it often pinches the skin and causes bleeding....

I guarantee you there is nothing inside my oil pans, or rear end housing of a metallic nature floating around!
Just to give me that warm fuzzy feeling........
Ninjawarrior

Offline ninjawarrior1400

Opinions are like toilet paper.....some use it to wipe with.....some don't wipe at all....the choice is yours....!
Ninjawarrior

Offline Conrad

Opinions are like toilet paper.....some use it to wipe with.....some don't wipe at all....the choice is yours....!

I tried wiping with an opinion once, I made a hellofa mess. I'll stick with the toilet paper thanks. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
I tried wiping with an opinion once, I made a hellofa mess. I'll stick with the toilet paper thanks.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
The real question is why are you changing oil on a Honda Rebel?  I hope that is your loaner bike when you C14 is in Service at the dealership....   ;D
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline ninjawarrior1400

This pic was merely to demonstrate how a magnetic plug can work for you...nothing more does not matter if it is on a Honda Rebel or a lawnmower....magnets work the same way to remove small metal particles...

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline Bradley14

I use the magnetic bolt in my driveshaft and change fluid everytime with engine oil-the driveshaft mag plus always some metalic particles on it-the engine oil does not. 
Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline McJunkie

I was wondering how she got the magnet thingy to stick to a plastic bottle.

Offline So Cal Joe

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

$42.75 is kind of high for a magnet!!! O.K. now how many if any, have had a failure due to metal  in the oil?
I have run way over 100,000 miles on a Gold Wing and many of my friends have run close to and over 200,000 miles on them with out a filter mag or a magnetic drain plug and never a problem. Do your first oil change early and then change the oil and filter on a regular interval and you will be fine.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline SimonSaysDie

I just liked watching her shake the bottle.   ;D

Offline Conrad

I was wondering how she got the magnet thingy to stick to a plastic bottle.

What bottle?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
What bottle?

What magnetic thingy?...

:o