Author Topic: Pic of a worthless Magnetic Oil Drain Plug on a Honda Rebel with 3,000 miles..  (Read 10660 times)

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
For those members who have to think about using a magnetic oil drain plug, or ask their wives or girlfriends if they can spend $8.95 to buy one..........look at this pic!

Do you feel lucky punk......well do ya?

Ninja
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:12:31 PM by ninjawarrior1400 »
Ninjawarrior

Offline RickC14

Someone should learn how to use the clutch.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Well, I've checked mine and thank goodness I don't see any filings on it like in your picture.  In fact, I didn't see anything on it but oil, but I didn't have my glasses on at the time. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Here's a pic of my mag plug after the second oil change. The first oil change was done at 580 miles and I installed the mag plug at that time. The second change was done at ~ 3600 miles.

That's pretty much a metallic mush stuck to the mag.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
That's what you get for washing your bike....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

That's what you get for washing your bike....

:rotflmao:

That and a clean bike baby!

No warped rotors either...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline usttobee50

• She rides a Harley,and I thought I wanted a C-14
For those members who have to think about using a magnetic oil drain plug.....look at this pic!

Enuf said!

Ninja

You guys should try a "FilterMag",goes on the outside of your oil filter, and traps any metal on the inside of your filter, away from the oil flow. When you change filters the gunk is thrown away with the filter. You can find these on e-bay for a discounted price. The size that fits our bikes is :....SS250. Go to this site for info.  ;D  8)
http://www.shopfiltermag.com/
Ride Safe....Usttobee50
2005 Mean Streak, Pearl Magma Red
2011 C-14, Atomic Silver

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
You guys should try a "FilterMag",goes on the outside of your oil filter, and traps any metal on the inside of your filter, away from the oil flow. When you change filters the gunk is thrown away with the filter. You can find these on e-bay for a discounted price. The size that fits our bikes is :....SS250. Go to this site for info.  ;D  8)

I think I saw a video of the filtermag girl.....

Offline martin_14

• know who you are

I find it interesting. Have you personally used it? In your bike? with what results?
If FredH is around... what are your thoughts?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
FredH is not around...

Offline Conrad

"away from the oil flow"? doesn't the oil flow through the filter?

Offline Conrad

Offline usttobee50

"away from the oil flow"? doesn't the oil flow through the filter?

...What I should have said is, the FilterMag holds the any metal attracted by the magnet on the wall of the filter, keeping it out of the direct flow of the oil going through the filter media. I have yet to cut open an old filter to see just how much crude is caught on the filter walls, but it has to be a lot more than would be caught on the small tip of a magnetic plug. The magnet is very strong, as a matter of fact, it is difficult to pull off the filter when replacing with a new one. The pic on their site shows the surface area of metal trapped by the FilterMag. I like the fact that there's no magnet inside of my engine that could break loose and cause big problems, very simple and effective. I use one on my Chevy pickup, my C-14, and my Mean Streak. I will open the filter on my next oil change and will post pics. Now, least any of you think I have any interest in the product other than sharing what I think is a great product with my fellow riders, think not! I just think it is a much better solution than a small magnet on the end of  a drain plug which is inside your engine. As I said earlier, these can be purchased on E-bay or Amazon at a much lower price than quoted on the dealers  site.  8)
Ride Safe....Usttobee50
2011 C-14, Atomic Silver

Offline comet

Another option is to stick an old computer harddrive magnet to the outside of your filter...

Offline usttobee50

Another option is to stick an old computer harddrive magnet to the outside of your filter...

Comet....I did just that for a while, while it does work, it doesn't have near the magnetic surface area of the FilterMag....Just sayin... ;D  8)
Ride Safe....Usttobee50
2011 C-14, Atomic Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
I think I saw a video of the filtermag girl.....

:P

Offline Rawman

I just remember some things bouncing...... :yikes:
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline booger

On a new bike I change oil, filter and install a magnetic plug as soon as I drive it home from the dealer.  I then change at oil and filter at 300 and 500 miles.

You would be amazed a the metal shavings and particles you recover!!  Worst I had was on a new KLR 650........thought the metal particles would never stop

Offline ZG

• Arena
I just remember some things bouncing...... :yikes:

Me too...   ;D