Author Topic: Battery main cutoff  (Read 5071 times)

Offline twozsforme

Battery main cutoff
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »
Has anybody ever installed a hidden battery cutoff switch on their connie?  I am moving overseas to japan and I wanted a little antitheft protection for my bike.

Taff

Re: Battery main cutoff
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »
Has anybody ever installed a hidden battery cutoff switch on their connie?  I am moving overseas to japan and I wanted a little antitheft protection for my bike.

You can always remove the battery, fit an alarm or add a GPS tracking device.

Just some ideas.

Jon.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
If you have the KiPASS with you and not on the bike you shouldn't have a problem, Heck sometimes they won't start even with the KiPASS (Sorry, I couldn't resist)
You can get a lock that attaches to the front caliper, just remember to remove it before you ride off.
 :deadhorse:

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
I don't know if it would be needed, but a switch interrupting current to the fuel pump shouldn't be too difficult. Lifting the fuel tank will uncover wiring to the fuel pump located in the bottom of the tank.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
Will this stop them from loading your bike in a truck?  :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »
No one will be starting the bike without the fob and riding it off anyways. How will a mains cutoff help?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »

Nope theres not much I can do about that.  :-\  I was planning on getting an alarm as well as a disc lock.  The thing I worry about is the scanners that can enable key fob ignitions.  Its common in car theft and has been a real problem as of late.  I was in Japan about six years ago and while I was over there motorcycle theft was a big problem.  My reasoning was if there is no power to the ignition you cant scan it and start it.  Just a thought.  Thanks for the replies.

Bob

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »
It's easier to park next to the ZX6 or Harley. They will probably always take them first!  :D

Nope theres not much I can do about that.  :-\  I was planning on getting an alarm as well as a disc lock.  The thing I worry about is the scanners that can enable key fob ignitions.  Its common in car theft and has been a real problem as of late.  I was in Japan about six years ago and while I was over there motorcycle theft was a big problem.  My reasoning was if there is no power to the ignition you cant scan it and start it.  Just a thought.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »
The biggest deterrent would be locking your bike to a tree or lamp post with a cable lock or chain.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
I don't think Connies are high on the hit list.

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
I don't think Connies are high on the hit list.

I hope not.  Big bikes are not as common over there as they are in the states.  For that reason big bikes are targeted.  From what I was told when I was there was that if your bike was stolen it was out of the country within 24 hours.

Bob

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
The biggest deterrent would be locking your bike to a tree or lamp post with a cable lock or chain.

Yeah that worked good for the guy in the NYC video. They cut the cable or chain and loaded it in a van in seconds! If it's in sight and they want it, it's gone.

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
I would'nt mind something similiar to my kz1300 it has a separate keyed switch to turn all power off and on. Also does'nt have a clock and stuff though

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »

If it has the stock exhaust it will take 10 men to lift it...  :o

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 02:27:40 PM »

If it has the stock exhaust it will take 10 men to lift it...  :o

I wonder how much that header weighs compared to an Area-P?

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
I would'nt mind something similiar to my kz1300 it has a separate keyed switch to turn all power off and on. Also does'nt have a clock and stuff though

OH MY G_D that second ignition switch is a royal pain. Along with:

- the camchain tensioner that's prone to failure (piston, meet valve)
- the resistor in the ignition coil circuit that makes the resistance for the coils right but kills the spark
- the ridiculous fuel cutoff solenoid
- the marginal oil supply (rectified on later models)
- the airbox lid that broke on almost every KZ1300 ever made
- the 145-watt alternator. No, that is not a misprint; barely 12 amps! (bumped up to an anemic 240 watts on later models)
- the ignition system that changed every year but one, with NO parts interchanging
- the horrible 2-barrel carbs

The fixes:

- tensioner from a ZX11
- Accel coils (or Nology, or the coil pack from a 6-cylinder GM)
- trashcan; vacuum petcock from some other bike
- oil pan from a mid-80 or up KZ1300 (with the pickup)
- fabricate
- the alternator off a mid-80 or later KZ1300
- spare parts from Flea-Bay
- deal with it

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting...a very difficult bike to love.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 02:46:29 PM »
OFFTOPIC

True but it is all easily offset by that magnificent engine.... when it runs and / or when it runs right.

A KZ1300 is what you get when the motorcycle gods command: build me a motorcycle and don't spare the iron. No key is though that you have to use the iron in useful areas, not just to 'weight up' the bike like the lead a jockey carries.

And seeing as we've drifted this far offtopic, have you seen the KZ that that English guy converted into a V-12? Fantastic machine with two KZ 1300 cylinder blocks and heads attached to another engine's crankcase. He had to lengthen the bike 4" if I remember correctly to fit the new engine in place. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/v12_custom_kawasaki_2300cc/index.html

Brian

OH MY G_D that second ignition switch is a royal pain. Along with:

<snipped minor list of problems that prevent bike from running and / or destroy engine>

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting...a very difficult bike to love.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com