Author Topic: Lousy Shifting  (Read 9295 times)

Offline jddetroit

Re: Lousy Shifting
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 05:32:53 AM »
Well, after flushing and bleeding, it seems to have done the trick.  Like Buttah!
I suppose somehow, air got into the system, or there was enough of that black rubber-like crap floating around in there, to maybe partially plug a port.  dunno.  Do know that she's working better than she has in a long time.  I'd forgotten how smooth she was supposed to be!

-JD
Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son.  I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man.  As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
-Frank Costanza

Offline Restless

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
I actually have something similar happening to me but not very often.  It happens more when it's hot outside and I've been holding the clutch lever in for a bit and then let go.  If I let go of the lever too slowly it acts like the clutch is slipping and it makes a growling type noise.  Strange...  Fluid has been changed on a yearly basis and the oil is Mobil 1 MC oil.

+1 I hate to even get in on this one since I don't think that the C14 is having tranny issues on a wide spread basis but...since new, mine has had the same "groan" sound when I let the clutch out too slow. not too often and I think it's more me than the bike but it's definately there. Bike is just under a year old 2010 with just over 7000 miles. Other than the kawi oil it came with, it's always seen Mobil 1 4T 10-40.

As for the OP's post, FWIW, mine shifted rough for the first 2500 or so and now shifts pretty smooth without the "notchiness".

Let us know the outcome.  :popcorn:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
Well, after flushing and bleeding, it seems to have done the trick.  Like Buttah!
I suppose somehow, air got into the system, or there was enough of that black rubber-like crap floating around in there, to maybe partially plug a port.  dunno.  Do know that she's working better than she has in a long time.  I'd forgotten how smooth she was supposed to be!

-JD

Good, glad it's better for you.  BTW, didn't you used to have a zombie looking avatar awhile back?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tundra dweller

• XLR8
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 06:49:30 AM »
In answer to RiderRich, my 08 has no problems and shifts very nicely.  I have changed the clutch fluid once but it was just normal maintenance.  Be careful reinstalling the gasket on top of the reservoir.  It's easy to get it mis-aligned, then you get clutch fluid spraying on you as you go down the road.  DAMHIK

+1 on the gasket!  :o It helps to put the gasket on the plastic cover before installing.
My shift lever needed a slight adjustment to lengthen the throw from the factory to get smooth shifting.
"When my time has come I prefer to be in the Saddle rather than the Recliner"

Offline jddetroit

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 07:00:14 AM »
Good, glad it's better for you.  BTW, didn't you used to have a zombie looking avatar awhile back?

HuH?  Whatcha mean? ;)
Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son.  I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man.  As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
-Frank Costanza

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:25 AM »
Excellent!  It's strange but after all these years I associate people's forum names with specific avatars.  Yours is one that has stuck with me as has Poke's.  There are many others as well.  I see the name and the picture pops up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 07:03:59 AM »

-JD
If the fluid had not been changed since 2008 it may have absorbed enough moisture to make it hydualically ineffective. Moisture lowers the boiling point.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline atilla457

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
Guys,

I have a 2009 model bought in 2011.  Does the bike leave factory with the break/clutch fluids or does the dealer put them in?  If mother kawi puts them in,, I should change them?

I feel my clutch is not engaging fully because going at 10~15 miles, if I shift from 2nd to 1st I feel a small jerk even if I haven't released the clutch lever at all.  I don't think my other bikes did that. (though on a center stand, rear tire doesn't turn if I pull the clutch all the way in).

Maybe I should replace fluids that are due in 2yrs.
Thanks,
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »
When I bought mine, the dealer told me all they had to do when they pulled the bike out of the crate was install the windshield, and put one saddle bag on, and run down a pre-deliver check list.

They only charged me $68 to drive across town to get the crate from another dealer, and setup up the bike.  He said anything more and he felt he would be taking advantage of me.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
Excellent!  It's strange but after all these years I associate people's forum names with specific avatars.  Yours is one that has stuck with me as has Poke's.  There are many others as well.  I see the name and the picture pops up.

Hmm, I guess this means I should get off my lazy butt and get a crazy avatar, so you'll never forget me, eh Jim?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
Quite so, but let's hope it's in a good way....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »
Fixed it for ya', at least in some cases.  ;D ;D

I am kidding here- my dealer was excellent and there were no problems with my bike from new. Other than the scratch on the front fender that it got when someone dropped a Gold Wing (Hondapotamus, 'Old Wing') on it but I blame that on Honda anyway. And the dealer ordered a new front fender before they even put the bike on the showroom floor.

Brian

When I bought mine, the dealer told me all they had to do when they pulled the bike out of the crate was install the windshield, and put one saddle bag on, cross thread a bolt or two and run down a pre-deliver check list.

They only charged me $68 to drive across town to get the crate from another dealer, and setup up the bike.  He said anything more and he felt he would be taking advantage of me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 08:11:11 PM »
Fixed it for ya', at least in some cases.  ;D ;D

I am kidding here- my dealer was excellent and there were no problems with my bike from new. Other than the scratch on the front fender that it got when someone dropped a Gold Wing (Hondapotamus, 'Old Wing') on it but I blame that on Honda anyway. And the dealer ordered a new front fender before they even put the bike on the showroom floor.

Brian

Didn't need fixing for me, maybe for others.  So far, no cross threaded or stripped out issues that I know of anyway.