Author Topic: my PR3 experience  (Read 4624 times)

Offline c14blair

my PR3 experience
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
i've been gone awhile, and it looks like the site has split? i had to rejoin. if i get a chance, i will browse around and see if i can find out what happened.

well, i'm back and after 7500 miles on my '08 decided to replace the stock front tire. i may have taken the tire a little far cuz the last week has been a little spooky on the freeway. my front wheel was all over the place. dumbass. i just ride the bike to and from work, so don't really know anything about performance type riding, but it appears to be a pretty good tire. at the suggestion of people on this and the other site, i decided to go with the PR3. I was gonna replace both f/r, but the shop said i still had plenty of tread on r, so why spend the money now? now i read that the back tires are on now backorder, so maybe i should have gone for both?

I replaced the front with a 120/70. when i inquired about replacing the rear with another PR3 190/50, i was told there wasn't a tire of that size in my load range. i would have to go with a smaller tire in my load range, or get the 190/50 in a lower load range. any idea what this guy is talking about? i never ride 2 up, so i am wondering if it is ok to go with the lower load range. i really don't want to go with a smaller tire.

Offline Murph

Re: my PR3 experience
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »

We have em'

Murph
COG 2769
Industry Member

Offline c14blair

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
Murph,

is that the 190/50 in the higher or lower load range? can you pls explaing the load range issue?

thx

blair

Offline TRBN

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
Murph,

is that the 190/50 in the higher or lower load range? can you pls explaing the load range issue?

thx

blair

The only load rating I see on the Michelin site for the PR3 190/50ZR17 is 73W.  73 load index seems to be the correct load rating for the C14.  ( the 190/55ZR17 has a load rating of 75)

Aaron

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »
yea but that 190/55 turns in quicker and handles so much better on any make/model bike that takes a 190 rear
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:45:06 AM »
And so you learn that your shop guy is NOT the font of all knowledge.  ;)

OEM BT-021s are 73W as is the PR3.
Tell your shop guy to do as he is told and fit the PR3s.  :D
If it doesn't rain often where you are a PR2 rear is fine too.

I may be trying the 190/55 when I replace my rear PR3 soon. Currently at 8,000 miles and getting near the wear bars.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:13:09 AM »
yea but that 190/55 turns in quicker and handles so much better on any make/model bike that takes a 190 rear

does center ware increase with the change in tire size ??
debated this but the bt-023 doesn't come in a 55??

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:16 PM »
does center ware increase with the change in tire size ??
debated this but the bt-023 doesn't come in a 55??

question 1: I haven't noticed any increased wear

question 2: inferior brands take a while to catch up
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bob

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:45:51 AM »

question 2: inferior brands take a while to catch up

Why because your a pro Michelin guy who says one thing, yet does the other!!!!!!   ::)

Can you prove they are inferiour, or is this just an opinion?  ;D

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:47 AM »
I have a 023 on the rear of my 09, it is a 180/55, they were out of 190/50 when I got it. Works great and handles better.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:11:48 AM »
Why because your a pro Michelin guy who says one thing, yet does the other!!!!!!   ::)

Can you prove they are inferiour, or is this just an opinion?  ;D

No, I'm a consumer and watched how long it took others (Angels) to play catch up, and many brands still don't have 55's (although by now most do).  Again Michelin brings out the cutting edge performance among the "first" once again and the others followed, maybe inferior was a wrong descriptor. I meant no ill will using that word I promise

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:25 AM »
I just had to replace my old worn out battleaxes.  The front was shot and the rear had a plug in it that didn't seat right and so was a little leaky.  Put on a pair of PR3's on and I'm about 150 miles into them.  Weather has only been hot and hotter so far and so they are pretty much sticking like glue to the road, but since I commute I expect to see rain soon enough and will be able to chime in once I end up in it.  The rear was a 170/50ZR17, and for my dealer, the price was a wash between ordering them online and paying extra for mounting or paying a little more for the tire and having cheaper mounting.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:52:18 AM »
rain is what they claimed to have improved over the PR2's.  I find that hard to beleive, my PR2's would have sufficed as rain tires on a track day they stuck so well.

I just went on a 7000 mile ride and put the PR3's through h*ll under many conditions, rain included. Also extremely hot (desert), extremely cold (arctic area of Rocky MTNs), sand (desert, beaches, Moab, Utah off-roading), Hot city streets (Phoenix), frigid Cold Pavement (Rockies).

I can't beleive these tires for a street tire.

Bob

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
No, I'm a consumer and watched how long it took others (Angels) to play catch up, and many brands still don't have 55's (although by now most do).  Again Michelin brings out the cutting edge performance among the "first" once again and the others followed, maybe inferior was a wrong descriptor. I meant no ill will using that word I promise

Catch up, why? Because they didn't make the tire in the size that Steve feels is right? And to say cutting edge performance is a joke. The Angels still have better grip than either the PR2 or the PR3! Your way too pro Michelin to make fair assesssments on anything tire related. So it clouds your judgement!  ;D

Bob

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 11:11:06 AM »
rain is what they claimed to have improved over the PR2's.  I find that hard to beleive, my PR2's would have sufficed as rain tires on a track day they stuck so well.

I just went on a 7000 mile ride and put the PR3's through h*ll under many conditions, rain included. Also extremely hot (desert), extremely cold (arctic area of Rocky MTNs), sand (desert, beaches, Moab, Utah off-roading), Hot city streets (Phoenix), frigid Cold Pavement (Rockies).

I can't beleive these tires for a street tire.

I hope they improved more than just rain ability over the PR2.  Because the PR2's were one of the worst tires that I've ever run. And quite a few other found their unpredictability and lack of grip to be lacking as well.  I have PR3's on my bike and they are a marked improvement over those junk PR2's. But I wonder if they will last?   ;D

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
Hey Bob
How's the wet weather handling on the PR3's now that you've had a chance to break em in?  Still as impressive as when they were new?