Author Topic: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread  (Read 40061 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Shinko 890 JOurney review thread
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 06:43:33 AM »
Just F.Y.I.
Motorcycle Super Store has "Set's" available.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/ViewCart.aspx
Your link just brought me to my own shopping cart, which is empty at the moment.   :P

But...  Motorcycle Superstore Shinko 890 Front Tire and Motorcycle Superstore Shinko 890 Rear Tire.
$244.98 for a set. 

Now the quandary...  Do I get a set of Shinkos, or put up the extra $45.02 for the Avons from Murph?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »
Your link just brought me to my own shopping cart, which is empty at the moment.   :P

But...  Motorcycle Superstore Shinko 890 Front Tire and Motorcycle Superstore Shinko 890 Rear Tire.
$244.98 for a set. 

Now the quandary...  Do I get a set of Shinkos, or put up the extra $45.02 for the Avons from Murph?

Ooops.  My bad. ;D

Their in my "Cart" for $237.98 shipped.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
I do like Avons better, all except for the mileage, which I am testing out now. Stats show it SHOULD last longer than the Avons (I got 5K of hard riding), but the tradoffs? Its a roll of the dice.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
Ooops.  My bad. ;D

Their in my "Cart" for $237.98 shipped.
How did you get them for $7 cheaper than me?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Tele130

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
How did you get them for $7 cheaper than me?

I don't know. Maybe they like me better............lmao.

Doug Colton

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
An update:
As of yesterday, I now have 3045 miles on the Journey. I just got back from my run down to see my son in Hampton, Va. I did The Outer Banks with all that sand, the tunnels that are the norm for the roads around there, and the twisties on 33 in W. Va. and 5 and 6 in Va.
And the verdict is:
 A+ in every catagory, from glass smooth pavement, to rough, from sandy / dirty concrete, and even some lite snow covered on Skyline Drive @ 4600 ft. I never had a single worry going into a corner or slowing her down.
I think this one is a true winner, and I'll get pics tomorrow, wear is barely visable right now, and the edges are holding up very well also.
Hope this helps, ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
An update:
As of yesterday, I now have 3045 miles on the Journey. I just got back from my run down to see my son in Hampton, Va. I did The Outer Banks with all that sand, the tunnels that are the norm for the roads around there, and the twisties on 33 in W. Va. and 5 and 6 in Va.
And the verdict is:
 A+ in every catagory, from glass smooth pavement, to rough, from sandy / dirty concrete, and even some lite snow covered on Skyline Drive @ 4600 ft. I never had a single worry going into a corner or slowing her down.
I think this one is a true winner, and I'll get pics tomorrow, wear is barely visable right now, and the edges are holding up very well also.
Hope this helps, ride safe all,
Greg
I had pretty much made up my mind to save the $45 and give the Shinkos a try.  I have a 777 rear that I am quite happy with at the moment.  I only wish they had a compatible size of the 777 for the front.  But I'll get the 890s and ride them out to the National.

Although a Shinko 777 rear and 011 front might be a good budget combination.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:07 AM »
  Thanks Greg!
  Sounds like you had a good trip.. Yep, US33 is a treat!  I might have gone w/ the 890, but George Young posted about the Azaro clearance sale & I was able to get one at $93 to the door....So this should last me 'till Oct/Nov at least.... Now if someone would give feedback on that new Michelin Commander II....

and as Jon has posted, I too have used the 777 & been happy w/ that as well.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Just ordered a set of the 890s from Chaparral Motorsports for $225.26.  Although the front is currently listed as "Pending arrival from manufacturer - Usually ships in 2-3 business days."  But Motorcycle Superstore had both tires listed "Pending arrival".

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
My update: it looks as if my swing arm bearings are in bad shape, so that is what is making my rear  tire feel funny. Still top notch here, drug the center stand this last weekend.

Offline jaydee1445

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 06:30:50 AM »
based on reviews here I just ordered a set from motorcyclesuperstore $244.98 shipped.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 08:08:42 AM »
If anyone going to the rally is sporting a set. Please write a detailed review and post it up.  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Doug Colton

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »
Pulled the trigger on a set of SE890's from Motorcycle Maniac (couldn't find them anywhere else), $237.07 shipped. I have spent WAY too much time looking for tires, comparing tires, dreaming about tires,..... trying to find tires that fit and match..... When I put the other Connie back together Its probably gonna get 17 inch wheels.
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Never mind, front tire is back ordered 2-3 weeks.... #*&!!!!
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
Okay, lets try again. Chaparral has them (SE890 Journey in wing sizes) both in stock, $221.76 shipped. I SWEAR I looked at their website and they didn't have one or both of them in stock..... As soon as I get my custom molded, high tech (read plastic) ankle brace in about 2 weeks, I'll be able to ride again. Gotta get busy and get the ole girl ready...
Woody
2014 V-Max

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Update: my swingarm bearings and races were shot, and two of the needle bearings in the shock were not doing anything good, so I think I have found the "fall in" issue. Will update in a couple of weeks when I get everything back together.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
If anyone going to the rally is sporting a set. Please write a detailed review and post it up.  :thumbs: :chugbeer:
Doug I had Shinko 005 on the front with the Journey on the rear.  AWESOME......................................
I should add they are pigwing sized; but they are not like the GT's.  I loved the Gt's but these tires were great in AR.  The turn in takes so much less than the GT's (no truck/heavy steering). I rode some rain soaked roads on Mon and never felt like the tire was going to slip out on me.  Dry pavement was fantastic. I used just about every inch of usable tire while I was down there. I know the roads were chip seal but these tires never made me doubt if I was going to be able to grip the corners. I spooned them on before I left and now have a touch over 2K on them.  They seem to be wearing very well.  The rear does have a small amount of squaring but then again I did pull a trailer behind the Connie.  Over-all I give the 890 two thumbs up  :thumbs: :thumbs:
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
Can't make the rally this yr., but if i could, you would see very little wear signs on my 890's. I am up over 6k on them, and other then being a little dirty, they are wearing just great. I got caught in a pretty hard rain the other day, and it stuck the road like glue. I am so please with these that i just might buy one in the fall just to ready for next season.
Everyone enjoy the rally, and as always, ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 05:43:27 AM »
Can't make the rally this yr., but if i could, you would see very little wear signs on my 890's. I am up over 6k on them, and other then being a little dirty, they are wearing just great. I got caught in a pretty hard rain the other day, and it stuck the road like glue. I am so please with these that i just might buy one in the fall just to ready for next season.
Everyone enjoy the rally, and as always, ride safe all.
Greg
+1 If I happen to find them on sale I will definitely be getting a "spare" set for when the time comes.  I loved the GT's, but I do believe these are a better handling tire.  They handle much sportier.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 06:59:13 AM »
+1 If I happen to find them on sale I will definitely be getting a "spare" set for when the time comes.  I loved the GT's, but I do believe these are a better handling tire.  They handle much sportier.

Thanks for the info Chris.  I've run Shinko's in the past on my ZRX and loved'm.  I had a feeling that they (Shinko) were going to hit a home run with these.

I just checked and it's true!
"Chaparral has them (SE890 Journey in wing sizes) both in stock".

BTW-I didn't know the "005" came in an 18".............intrestering combo Chris. ;)

Doug Colton