Author Topic: Wind deflectors (or how do I get more air in?)  (Read 3651 times)

Offline gpzrocker

Wind deflectors (or how do I get more air in?)
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
I really want to get more airflow in during the summer months w/o having to modify my rifle shield setup. Right now I just pull the plexiglass off when it gets hot, and that works, but I am really interested in some Wind Wings or some such gadgets.

What do you use, or would use? Frugal to serious works, and I like to tinker.

Offline F-106

Re: Wind deflectors (or how do I get more air in?)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
I know how you feel. it gets 100-110 deg here in the summer. Baker AIr Wings makes a few sets for the C-10. I have talked to a few guys that had them and they do work for bringing air up into the chest area. Other than that I think you may be a bit limited.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
A number of folks here did some DIY wings.

Here is one example that I had a link for.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2279915870089716678aDrIBw

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
I like that, and being a sheet metal fab guy, I can do that. I did notice one person used some surround sound speaker mounts: the ones you can rotate a lot.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
I've got the Bakers about halfway up my fairings on my 2000. I turn them out for summer (a bit) and in for winter  to enlarge the fairing "air bubble" and that works pretty good. But if you get hot air, it's still hot. If you set them JUST right, they'll suck the heat off the headers up to you. Pretty good when it's 40 degrees around town, not so good when it's 105 degrees around town. But, all taken, I like 'em.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:19:21 PM »
I'm the one who has the pic timsatx mentioned.  I didn't come up with it - another Cogger did, don't remember who.

I've mimicked the pattern, making the wings the same size and with the same bends as the Baker's - had a pair on a Voyager XII to compare to.

You get a ton of air at your midsection when they are open to direct air in.  They make the difference on tolerating 80's and 90's (and higher) temps for me. 

Before air wings, on both the C10 and Voyager, it was unbearable at the higher temps.  I can't imagine the guys in the southern states and 100+ without some type of option to move that air around in the cockpit.

They also help keep you warmer when closed in the cold weather - which we have our fair share of in Michigan.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:18 AM »
.  I can't imagine the guys in the southern states and 100+ without some type of option to move that air around in the cockpit.

I resemble that remark. Last year I just removed the plexiglass on the Rifle and I was good, just looking for options. Thanks for the help guys, have a few options riding around in the noggin now.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
Baker Built on the sides do a great job directing air in or closing air off in the cooler weather.
And they are color matched.
My $.02.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 06:44:36 AM »
Here's some wings I built from smoked plexi.  I use them in the winter mostly (with the fairing extenders on now).  They are about 4"x13" with stainless and aluminum hardware.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:51 AM »
Yeah man, that is the other ones I have seen. Looks good too. :thumbs:

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
This was my previous setup, had to change once the highway pegs went on.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:15:31 AM »
That is what I am talking about, thanks guys!