Author Topic: Ohh No A Rear Tire Thread  (Read 22420 times)

Offline Tele130

Re: Ohh No A Rear Tire Thread
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
For those that run the 130 front 160 rears, Continental has their Conti-Motions available in those sizes.
Had a set on my Bandit and liked them...though I didnt get a chance to wear them out before I got the Connie....I might give those a shot. 
Like the idea of a larger rear, but not so much on the front, though I know lots on here do it.  Cant say Id even notice the handling, it handles like a ZX6 compared to my old VTX1800, its almost flickable compared to that!

Who has them?  Once the Conti "Road Attacks" were avalible for my ZRX that's all she ever wore.  If the Conti-Motions are anywhere close to the Road Attacks, that could be very intresting.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
Dennis Kirk, but I havent looked yet for anyone else.
I think its a new size, they didnt have many when I got them for my Bandit as it was a new tire at that time.
Hopefully they will work well, as Im in pretty bad need of at least a rear!
Ill look some more later today and see what I can come up with....
Say what?

Offline Tele130

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
Dennis Kirk, but I havent looked yet for anyone else.
I think its a new size, they didnt have many when I got them for my Bandit as it was a new tire at that time.
Hopefully they will work well, as Im in pretty bad need of at least a rear!
Ill look some more later today and see what I can come up with....

Are you riding a C-14?

Doug Colton

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 01:17:54 PM »

Are you riding a C-14?
Only in my dreams....lol.

No, seriously, I have a C10. 
I know Conti doesnt list them on their site, but lots of places are selling them in the 130 70 18 and 160 80 16....
Say what?

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »
Only in my dreams....lol.

No, seriously, I have a C10. 
I know Conti doesnt list them on their site, but lots of places are selling them in the 130 70 18 and 160 80 16....

Where are you finding a Conti-Motion in a 160/80/16? 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
Say what?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
As he said earlier, but w/o a link, silly boy: can't make other people go through all those pages:

https://www.denniskirk.com/continental/rear-conti-motion-160-80hr-16-blackwall-tire.p544114.prd/544114.sku

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
And then I see the review from one of my kin:

2700 miles and rear tire shows is totally shot. I just took a 7000 mile trip across country on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's.Mostly highway and 75-85 MPH.Came home and rode another 3000 miles, 50 % on 2 lane Western NC mountain roads. At only 6000 miles per set on the Michelins the Continentals cost 50% more to use.I do NOT recommend.

Saved me A BUNCH of research.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
And then I see the review from one of my kin:

2700 miles and rear tire shows is totally shot. I just took a 7000 mile trip across country on a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's.Mostly highway and 75-85 MPH.Came home and rode another 3000 miles, 50 % on 2 lane Western NC mountain roads. At only 6000 miles per set on the Michelins the Continentals cost 50% more to use.I do NOT recommend.

Saved me A BUNCH of research.

Yeah, saw that too.  But Ive seen others, mostly the FJR crowd, getting good mileage out of them.
Guess it really doesnt matter, as they are radials and in those sizes would be too big for our little wheels....lol. 

It stinks not having good choices!  I hate forking over a ton of money for a rear, only to have to do it again in a year, or less. 
I love the Avons stick, but well, Im a cheapskate, mostly because I have to be, and want the most bang for my buck.  Oh well....
Say what?

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
I have a spare rear wheel.  One of these years I'll have it made into a 17" wheel and solve the rear tire choice problem.
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
My problem is Avon's road hazard warranty. I like it too much. I guess I am going to go back. And just looked, i am on the wear bars on the sides of the rear too. i really used this tire.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
My problem is Avon's road hazard warranty. I like it too much. I guess I am going to go back. And just looked, i am on the wear bars on the sides of the rear too. i really used this tire.

Guess Ill have to look into that.

I guess I cant complain about the Azaro too much, I didnt put it on, it was on the bike when I got it.  It will need replaced before the Summer is over for sure, but maybe the PO did burnouts or something.....its awful square in the middle....
Say what?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2012, 06:12:38 PM »
Yeah, saw that too.  But Ive seen others, mostly the FJR crowd, getting good mileage out of them.
Guess it really doesnt matter, as they are radials and in those sizes would be too big for our little wheels....lol. 

It stinks not having good choices!  I hate forking over a ton of money for a rear, only to have to do it again in a year, or less. 
I love the Avons stick, but well, Im a cheapskate, mostly because I have to be, and want the most bang for my buck.  Oh well....
According to an email reply from Western Powersports(U.S. distributor for Shinko), the Journey 890 in the 160/80/16 size is designed for fitment to rims that are 3.5 to 4" wide.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Tele130

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 07:02:42 PM »
According to an email reply from Western Powersports(U.S. distributor for Shinko), the Journey 890 in the 160/80/16 size is designed for fitment to rims that are 3.5 to 4" wide.

And our stock Connie's size is.............?  Why am I not going to like this answer? ;D

Doug Colton

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
Well......
The Bikebandit tech services did the research via Shinko. And the C10 should have no problems fitting up.
I sure hope so, because mine is going on tomorrow, I'll let you know what comes of it.
RSA,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »
Please do, and post a pic!
Say what?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »
its awful square in the middle....

I see that A bunch here in the mountains. Scary stuff. Honestly I feel if you don't carve every day you go out, you don't need this rear tire. Mine squared off probably 100 miles before the sides went and it was miserable. I have seen the same thing on an Avon bias, ah what is that guys name?

I don't know what to do about a lack of turns in your area. Honestly for the price I would probably look @ Goldwing stuff. That Journey looks very promising!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
Murph now has the Avon Roadriders (AM-26) in stock. (belted)
Has anyone used them? Tread Pattern looks like the Azaro.
If they handle anything like the Azaro, they may be my set..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »
I see that A bunch here in the mountains. Scary stuff. Honestly I feel if you don't carve every day you go out, you don't need this rear tire. Mine squared off probably 100 miles before the sides went and it was miserable. I have seen the same thing on an Avon bias, ah what is that guys name?

I don't know what to do about a lack of turns in your area. Honestly for the price I would probably look @ Goldwing stuff. That Journey looks very promising!

Yeah, I was thinking that coupled with a good front, like the Avon Storm II Ultra I currently have, might be the ticket....if it is in fact designed to fit on our wheels.
Say what?

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
The new Journey is on, and it fits perfectly, so no worries on that side of the coin.
And this one that i got was perfectly balanced, absolutly nothing was need on the rim.
Here are a few pics off the wheel.
RSA.
Greg
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:19:00 PM by Pfloydgad »
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?