Author Topic: Ohh No A Rear Tire Thread  (Read 22421 times)

Offline Tele130

Re: Ohh No A Rear Tire Thread
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
Motorcycle Superstore has the new Shinko SE890 Journey  160-80 x 16 for $130.99 shipped.
Not to bad, think I'll pull the trigger.
My new $.02 , hope it helps.
Ride safe all,
Greg

Cool.  Let us know what you think of them Greg. :thumbs:  I'm really hoping these are the next best things to the GT's.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
I have the Shinko version previous to the SE890...9300 miles...so far...160/80R16...40psi...big chicken strips...what can I say?  I intend to replace this tire with an SE890.
'02 C-10

Offline Tele130

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
I have the Shinko version previous to the SE890...9300 miles...so far...160/80R16...40psi...big chicken strips...what can I say?  I intend to replace this tire with an SE890.

What's your impression of that tire?

Doug Colton

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
What's your impression of that tire?

I like it enough to replace it with the newer version...when the time comes...I like the taller profile...slightly lower RPM at any given speed for slab touring...it has never scared me in the mountains, either...also does a good job in the rain...I like the way radials ride...and, I think the mileage will safely reach 12-14k.  With the understanding that I am not a road racer, but someone who just likes to ride...often two up and loaded...it satisfies every demand I have in tires.  It is now paired with a Shinko 011 Verge (120/70ZR18) on the front...which will be changed out for a PR3 (110/80ZR18) when the time comes...I just think the PR3 will suit my riding style a little better.

Hope this helps!
'02 C-10

Offline Tele130

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:01 AM »
I like it enough to replace it with the newer version...when the time comes...I like the taller profile...slightly lower RPM at any given speed for slab touring...it has never scared me in the mountains, either...also does a good job in the rain...I like the way radials ride...and, I think the mileage will safely reach 12-14k.  With the understanding that I am not a road racer, but someone who just likes to ride...often two up and loaded...it satisfies every demand I have in tires.  It is now paired with a Shinko 011 Verge (120/70ZR18) on the front...which will be changed out for a PR3 (110/80ZR18) when the time comes...I just think the PR3 will suit my riding style a little better.

Hope this helps!

:thumbs:  Thanks.  I've run Shinko's on my ZRX1100 down in Northern Georgia.  I had more confidence in them than I did the DunFlop 208's I had on before them.

Are the PR3's a radial?  I'm not  :stirpot: am I?  I plan on running a matching set of the SE's when the time comes.

Doug Colton

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
Yes...PR3 is a radial...
'02 C-10

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
Yes...PR3 is a radial...

Off topic:

You will probably like the PR3. Nice smooth riding tire that does what it's s'posed to. Turns in nice, with out the flitty dancing stuff of the Avon Storm. Mine has 13,200 miles on it, it's about done. It has some braking force cupping on it as 1000 miles was pulling a trailer, two up, through the fun that is the Fla Keys. (on the brakes quite a bit, and firmly. The cupping has not seemed to affect the handling, it's still really good, even worn out. I've never said that about any other tire.  I have another that is going on at the Fla Wrench Session on the tenth.

The cheapest that I found it was 120.99 to your door from Dennis Kirk. Things may have changed, but a lot of places were not carrying this size.

On topic: I have about 3k miles on a Venom that will probably get replaced by the 890 Shinko. I've been running Shinkos on my KLR and really like how they work, especially in the twisties, with a D.O.T. knobby. And they work well off road.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
I pulled my trigger on the Journey 160/80x16 , but I got it from Bikebandit. Their price is $119.30 and just $8.25 for shipping. They are in stock and shipping next day.
So we will see how this does, I'll keep you posted.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »
I pulled my trigger on the Journey 160/80x16 , but I got it from Bikebandit. Their price is $119.30 and just $8.25 for shipping. They are in stock and shipping next day.
So we will see how this does, I'll keep you posted.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Cool. Interested in that tire for the next go around.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
After a hard run through the diamondback and devils whip, I am going to look into the Shinkos. My Avons both lasted about 5K. Yuck.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »
After a hard run through the diamondback and devils whip, I am going to look into the Shinkos. My Avons both lasted about 5K. Yuck.

After many years on sport bikes and getting maybe 3-4k on sticky tires, 5k miles is great!   :) 

I've been getting 5-6k on the Azaro rear and 10k on the storm front.  Nice combination and sticks until the pegs scrape and more.  It's nice to know a tire is not the limiting factor on a bike. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
My rear Avon is squaring off badly....I need to replace it soon.

Is Avon not making a dual compound tire for us?  There was a thread saying they were in testing, but I stopped getting updates, and there hasnt been any new info on it.
I guess if they dont, I might go with CRocker....SE890 on the rear and PR3 on the front.

My front Storm II Ultra is kind of odd feeling....steering is tight, going to replace the wheel bearings and see if that helps, but it feels like its squirming around at times. 
Say what?

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »
After many years on sport bikes and getting maybe 3-4k on sticky tires, 5k miles is great!   :) 

I've been getting 5-6k on the Azaro rear and 10k on the storm front.  Nice combination and sticks until the pegs scrape and more.  It's nice to know a tire is not the limiting factor on a bike.

Gotcha. remember back in musthavebeen 1985 all the way up to when I go the Connie: 2009? I'd scrape pegs on everything I rode, and rode bias tires. It is easier to do with radials, and I like the feel of radials very much, and figure that Shinko figures they have something to prove. You know I still had chicken strips with peg scraping on my Avons?

Not busting on the Avons, they were great: just now see the mileage concern. And really not happy with the sudden head shake going up to Little Switzerland: to their credit, it was near 5K when it started, along with the wobble in the decel. 

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 06:56:59 AM »
Gotcha. remember back in musthavebeen 1985 all the way up to when I go the Connie: 2009? I'd scrape pegs on everything I rode, and rode bias tires. It is easier to do with radials, and I like the feel of radials very much, and figure that Shinko figures they have something to prove. You know I still had chicken strips with peg scraping on my Avons?

Not busting on the Avons, they were great: just now see the mileage concern. And really not happy with the sudden head shake going up to Little Switzerland: to their credit, it was near 5K when it started, along with the wobble in the decel.

I've found the Avon Storm front really likes a lot more tire pressure than I'm used to.  I run 4-41 psi up front and this pretty much solves the "head shake".  The Storm is also good at pointing out that you have loose stearing stem and worn front wheel bearings.  I replaced both and this really tightened things up, up front.  Yes, I'd like more mileages out of a sticky tire but it's difficult for both attributes to live in the same tire.  My choice is to stick over mileage, others may chose differently.  The Avons are also wonderfully "soft" as they really improve the ride, in my opinion.  I just hope I can keep getting them for the 16" rear.  I've got a spare set in the garage ready to go. 
COG #548

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
I ran 42 psi and just went out and looked: yep, wear bars on front. Didn't know it had one, but there it was! And as long as Harleys still use the 16" rear, I bet Avon will make them. And wheel bearings were 5K ago. I'll let ya know how the Shinkos do, although friends that run them in an 80/20 configuration (dual purpose tires) outrun me on a daily basis.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
I ran 42 psi and just went out and looked: yep, wear bars on front. Didn't know it had one, but there it was! And as long as Harleys still use the 16" rear, I bet Avon will make them. And wheel bearings were 5K ago. I'll let ya know how the Shinkos do, although friends that run them in an 80/20 configuration (dual purpose tires) outrun me on a daily basis.

Love the pic feathering those sticky tires! 
COG #548

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »
I should get you a pic of me doing the same on bias tired CX500, but film had not been invented then.

Being I am 15 minutes from where they shoot this, I'll get one with the Shinkos once I break them in.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 07:09:08 AM »
NEWS UPDATE: While ya'll were talkin' about tires, I've been talkin' with Murph.

Looks like Murph will soon be Adding "Avon" tires (for the C-10) to his inventory.
Plan is to stock;  Storm II and Avaro-ST AV-46 (Radials)
                         Roadrider AV-26 (Front and Rear) (Belted)

Ride safe, Ted

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
NEWS UPDATE: While ya'll were talkin' about tires, I've been talkin' with Murph.

Looks like Murph will soon be Adding "Avon" tires (for the C-10) to his inventory.
Plan is to stock;  Storm II and Avaro-ST AV-46 (Radials)
                         Roadrider AV-26 (Front and Rear) (Belted)

Ride safe, Ted

FANTASTIC!!   More reason to buy stuff from Murph!!  I hope this means for the 16" rear wheel. 
COG #548

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:16 AM »
For those that run the 130 front 160 rears, Continental has their Conti-Motions available in those sizes.
Had a set on my Bandit and liked them...though I didnt get a chance to wear them out before I got the Connie....I might give those a shot. 
Like the idea of a larger rear, but not so much on the front, though I know lots on here do it.  Cant say Id even notice the handling, it handles like a ZX6 compared to my old VTX1800, its almost flickable compared to that! 

Say what?