Author Topic: Better lighting at a low cost? Possible?  (Read 21555 times)

Offline Tele130

Re: Better lighting at a low cost? Possible?
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2011, 07:12:20 AM »
OK,.....................So????????  The 4300K HID set-up might throw more light down range (further, that's what I'm hoping to do here) than the 6000K set-up?  Color being the main factor?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 07:15:20 AM »
Morning Tony.  Long time.

Doug Colton

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2011, 08:33:14 AM »
Well I guess I'm going to dare to be different,  ;)  I'm going to give these guys a shot. http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-ultimate-running-light-pods.html.  I also have those little bullet lights on order to.  I've only found one comment about one light failing online and the customer service took care of them with no issue.   And Tele130, like others here I too have the VVME kit. works great.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »
Tele130, the whiter the light the better.
The lights that are more blue do not give good contrast.
Much easier to see objects when you use the white.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Tele130

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »
I ordered the VVME H.I.D 4300K , H4 system Sunday morning.  :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
That's what I have on mine. Took a while to get here and tracking info pretty much sucked as it has to change carriers in route.   Be ready for the light to be really white even with the 4300.  Coming from halogen, it's a big difference.  It'll seem a little bit blue to you.  At least that's my observations.  It sure lights up street signs, too.  I don't know why as the low beam cut off is rather sharp.  I think it has something to do with the specific wavelengths given off by the light and the wavelengths best reflected by the signs. Just guessing.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
I ordered the VVME H.I.D 4300K , H4 system Sunday morning.  :thumbs:

And I received it Friday morning. Not bad from China. I installed the system today and found it pretty straight forward. Finding a location to mount the ballist was a bit if a pain along with trimming and fitting the rubber boot that covers the rear of the housing. I had all day so I took my time. About 3 hours. Og course it's raining tonight so I'll have to wait till tomorrow night or Saturday.

For the other members here that are using the VVME H.I.D. System. Does your light take a few (30-45) seconds to be "Fully lit"?

Doug Colton

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »
Mine seem to be at fully lit after about 3 to 4 seconds
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Tele130

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

Was just out in the garage to play with it a bit.  Yea, I guess it's more like 5-8 sec.   :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
Here's something weird.  I have the kit on my bike and it fires of fairly quickly, works as advertised.  I recently got a kit to do my Jeep XJ.  The bulbs look identical, but it came with the slimline ballasts.  I have 2 observations.  The first is that they take significantly longer to reach full brightness.  I suspect that this is because these are the 35w version and I have the 55w version on the bike.  The really weird thing is that once turned on, they don't turn off until I turn of the Jeep.  The power is to an unswitched source so that's even stranger.  It's really not a problem so long as they are in fact turning off when I turn the key off, but it's weird.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2011, 06:47:25 AM »
Sounds like that the system I have.  It is the 35w 4300k package.  Wish I could have taken it out last night for a test ride.......................stupid rain. ;D

Doug Colton

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
A question to all who have converted to the HID kits.
With two separate bulbs, one for low beam and one for high beam.  So it seems to me like every time you switch from low beam to high beam, or vice versa, means you are "turning on" the bulb again.  Wouldn't each of those transitions bring another "start up" delay?
I mean, if I am running along on low beam, and I think I see a deer on the shoulder up ahead, I want my high beams to be ON when I hit the button.  If I have to wait 3-8 seconds for it to warm up, that really defeats the purpose.  Please help me understand how this works.
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »
Can't tell ya about it for the C-14. On the C-10, using the H4 type bulb, when you hit the high beam switch it changes the reflector around the bulb. Works as fast as hitting the switch.

Doug Colton

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
Please help me understand how this works.
The  bulb stays on all the time for High beam and low beam. All it does is move out of a shield for  high beam
it is called an  Bi Xenon
bi-xenon
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline jalthar

• Buddies Buzz
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2011, 05:25:26 AM »

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
Okay, you guys have talked me into it.  I just ordered VVME bi-xenon H4 in 4300K, plus the 7x24_DIY 1800lm LED driving lights..  I'll probably have to add a dimmer to the LED's for low beam use, but it's still gonna be GREAT!  (I hope).  My night vision isn't what it was when I was a lad of 52. 
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
Okay, you guys have talked me into it.  I just ordered VVME bi-xenon H4 in 4300K, plus the 7x24_DIY 1800lm LED driving lights..  I'll probably have to add a dimmer to the LED's for low beam use, but it's still gonna be GREAT!  (I hope).  My night vision isn't what it was when I was a lad of 52.

;D. You'll like the HID set-up. It's a huge improvement.   Post the LEDs when you get'em. I've been thinking about getting a pair for DYL.  :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline rick3foxes

• Apex, NC
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
I just added the VVME 35-watt slim ballast 4300K light.

Yes, it's amazing to see - might take a little getting used to with the narrow horizontal-band beam instead of the OEM wide/high flood high beam.

The 4300K is a lot whiter than the web page indicates in the color selection.
I love using 20W less power, which means my Denali D2's will bring it back up to the same total usage.  ;D

I did decide to sacrifice my right fairing pocket for the controller/ballast/module after looking around under the fairing for places to attach it all.

Rick.
Rick.
COG#: 9843
IBA#: 34853
"... miles to go before I sleep."