Author Topic: C10 Canyon Cage Build Thread!  (Read 50984 times)

Offline gregman_1

Re: C10 Canyon Cage Build Thread!
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »
The guards should be off to our powder coaters any day now. Once they're there, we should get them back within 3-7 days depending on how busy they are. I'll let you guys know as soon as we get them back and begin shipping them out.

What's the news?  Been 15 days since this post...no email, no card charge...
2005 Concours-"The Other Woman"
Stock except Canyon Cages and heated grips

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2014, 03:04:31 PM »
I completely understand if it's taking longer due to technical issues (it happens), but you guys should let your customers know what's going on.  You guys said first week of June, and it's now July with absolutely zero correspondence from you guys except to say they were 3-7 days out from shipping 20 days ago.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Well, my credit card just got charged a day or two ago.  So I guess these are shipping.  Would be nice to have some contact, though.  I like tracking my packages.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »
Well, my credit card just got charged a day or two ago.  So I guess these are shipping.  Would be nice to have some contact, though.  I like tracking my packages.

Mine got charged today. Be nice if it got here by the weekend.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
I got a voicemail today that they had included the wrong spacers in my package, so they were sending the correct ones out.  Not that I would have noticed yet, since the first package hasn't shown up yet.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »
I got a voicemail today that they had included the wrong spacers in my package, so they were sending the correct ones out.  Not that I would have noticed yet, since the first package hasn't shown up yet.

Same here, got the call yesterday.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
I got a notification from UPS that I should get a delivery on Friday!

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
Big box sitting on the porch when I got home from Florida today.  Work looks quality, gonna get them installed over the next couple of days.  Despite the complete lack of communication, I'm looking forward to getting these things on.

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
OK guys, not good.

First off, the saddlebag guards hit the top of my stock exhaust.  No amount of finagling or jostling could make this not happen.

Fortunately, this isn't a huge deal for me, my bike is not a show queen, it's a 50,000 mile daily rider.

Which brings us to the Big Deal.  Got to installing the right side Canyon Cage, and the upper bracket just doesn't fit.  There is an oil feed line to the head nearby, and there is not enough room between this feed line and the motor mount for the bracket.  No amount of twisting or turning will get it to go in.

I'm awfully disappointed.  I understand there are variances bike to bike, stuff happens (I spent ten years running motorcycle parts and service departments), but between this, the complete lack of communication except the part where they took my money, and the additional spacers that came in the mail with absolutely no literature (except a packing list) and no Email or phone call to tell me where these go, I'm pretty pissed off that I spent $400 on these and took my bike apart on a Wednesday night to install them.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2014, 05:00:39 AM »
Which brings us to the Big Deal.  Got to installing the right side Canyon Cage, and the upper bracket just doesn't fit.  There is an oil feed line to the head nearby, and there is not enough room between this feed line and the motor mount for the bracket.  No amount of twisting or turning will get it to go in.
I was planning to yank off my Murph's bars tomorrow and install the Canyon Cages in anticipation of a ride on Saturday.  Now I think I'll wait until next week and just leave well enough alone.  Hope my bike varies enough to report a better result. 

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:04 AM »
EDIT-I did hear back from Ryan (finally), let's hope we can get this sorted out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:17:45 AM by gregman_1 »

Offline gregman_1

« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
Has anybody actually managed to successfully mount these to a Concours yet?  Problem after problem here.  Both saddlebag guards contact the stock exhaust, the left guard had to be modified to even fit on the bike, and the left guard contacts the saddlebag latch making it impossible to mount the saddlebag (which defeats the purpose of saddlebag guards).  Not to mention the upper canyon cage mounts, which don't fit due to the oil feed lines nearby, to which MCE replied, "Take a bench grinder to the mount until it fits."

I can understand one problem or two, but the fact is these just plain don't fit.  The only parts I've managed to mount that didn't require modification are the lower canyon cage mounts.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
Has anybody actually managed to successfully mount these to a Concours yet?  Problem after problem here.  Both saddlebag guards contact the stock exhaust, the left guard had to be modified to even fit on the bike, and the left guard contacts the saddlebag latch making it impossible to mount the saddlebag (which defeats the purpose of saddlebag guards).  Not to mention the upper canyon cage mounts, which don't fit due to the oil feed lines nearby, to which MCE replied, "Take a bench grinder to the mount until it fits."

I can understand one problem or two, but the fact is these just plain don't fit.  The only parts I've managed to mount that didn't require modification are the lower canyon cage mounts.
I haven't had time to work on the bike.  Gotta make some time this week.

to which MCE replied, "Take a bench grinder to the mount until it fits."
In my opinion, that is NOT an acceptable response. 

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
to which MCE replied, "Take a bench grinder to the mount until it fits."

I don't find this acceptable either, not for what I paid for them.

I've been waiting for some more people to comment on how their install went before trying to install them myself.

I may try to install them this weekend and if they won't mount without modifications I'll be looking at returning them.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
Hey everyone. I apologize for not posting for quite some time. As some of you guys know, we're a family business here at MCE. We've had a few family tragedies recently which kept me (as well as a few other employees) out of the office for some time which is why communication was a bit lacking during the C10 build. However, we are all back at the office finally and hopefully fate will leave us be for a while. With that said, these circumstances should have very little effect on the production of these guards which have now been completed and shipped out to the participants of the Group Buy.

I know there were some posts regarding fitment issues but as of now, we've only heard of one individual having an issue which we're dealing directly with the customer to resolve. Based on what I've seen and heard, I'm confident that this was an isolated issue specific to this single guard or the bike itself (which we're still currently looking into). I just wanted to let you guys know that we're committed to providing a quality product to satisfied customers. If any issues arise for any of you during installation, please email or call me and I'll do absolutely everything I can to make sure the issue is handled promptly.

Happy riding and I hope those of you who participated in the Group Buy are happy with your cages!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline John_Atkinson

« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »
so what is the general concensus on these? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's purchased these....
John Atkinson
'91 Connie "Zeke"
217,000 km and counting...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:03 PM »
so what is the general concensus on these? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's purchased these....
Well, so far, they look really nice.  Too bad they're still sitting in a box next to my desk.  I hope to get around to installing them before putting the bike away for the winter.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »

John, this is not as I know it the general consensus but just my experience.  Take from it what you will.

The following is a letter I wrote to Ryan at MCE about MY experience.

On 9/13/2014 4:32 PM, Joseph Callahan III wrote:

Ryan,

I’m writing to you to make you aware of some issues I had / have after installing the Canyon Cages and rear guards I purchased from MCE.

The rear guard’s went on with no interference problems to the exhaust cans or bags.  I was however extremely disappointed when I came to the part of the instructions that told me I needed to cut up the back side of my side panels in order to put them back on the bike.

Maybe I missed it but I don’t remember there being any mention of needing to do any alterations, to any of the body work on the bike at all, in either of the build threads on the forums.

As it sits now the side cover is sitting right against the mounting bracket for the guard, and the bottom edge of the side cover at the back still needs to move in at least 1/8” for the edge to align with the body work behind it.  This alignment will only happen if I grind or file back the mounting bracket on the guard where it meets the side cover.  I can’t  remove anymore plastic on the side cover as the point on the bottom back where it hits the bracket has been filed down to just the thickness of the plastic from the outside edge.

I can’t do anything more to my side cover to get it to align at the back and not be sitting right on the mounting bracket.

I don’t see anything fixing it, short of grinding or filing back the point on the bracket where it hits the side cover by at least 1/8”, and then re-painting that area.  Any thoughts?

The front brackets for the cages also went on with no interference problems other than the head of the supplied 10mm bolt on the right side being larger than the stock bolt. (17mm supplied vs 14mm stock) This on my bike made it impossible to get a box wrench or socket on it to tighten it and needed to be done with an open end wrench.

I was also disappointed to read in the directions for the upper mounts that there may be an excessive gap in the mount, that would need to be taken up by flat washers, with indication that none were supplied.  Sure will suck for the people who don’t happen to have them lying around.  As it was, mine needed a thick one and an average one on the right side, and two average ones on the left.  Four total.

After putting all the plastics back on the bike and mounting the Canyon Cages, I noticed that the angle of the cage on the right side looked different than the left.  The left cage looked to be very square with the body work of the bike, but the right side looked to be angled out at the bottom.  There is at least ¼” difference in the space from the bodywork to the cage at the bottom of the cage from the right side to the left side.

I'm attaching some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.  You can see in the picture of the front guards where they are side by side that there is a difference of at least a 1/4" in length from the outside of the guard to the point where it attaches to the mount.  In the picture, the guard on the left is the right guard and the right one is the left.

You will also see in the pictures that I had to file the bottom of the side covers, all the way back to the back side of the outside edge of the front side.

Let me know if there is anything that you think could be done to make this a more positive experience for me.

Thank You
Joe Callahan
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:51:19 AM by turbojoe78 »

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »
More Pic's

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2014, 06:24:00 AM »
Ryan's reply:

Joseph,

I'm very sorry to hear you've had such issues with the guards thus far. We're certainly committed to doing whatever we can to rectify the issue, though. Instead of going through all of this via email, it may be easier if you call us directly and speak with our tech, Armando. He can certainly answer any questions you have regarding the guards themselves or installation. He's here during normal business hours from Monday - Thursday from 7am - 5pm.

When you have some time to talk, give us a call and ask for Armando. Like I said, we'll do whatever we can to make you happy with the product.

Ryan Nichols
MCE

I did call Armando a couple of days later and he explained to me, that in regard to what I thought I saw with the front guards being at different angles from the body, that when they were building them their main concern was that the front and back guards would hit at the same time when the bike went over.

When I mentioned to him what I thought was a problem with the side covers hitting the mounting brackets for the rear guards, after cutting as much plastic as possible from the back side of the cover, and the bottom edge of the back of the side cover still not aligned with the body work behind it he said as long as the cover was staying in where it was placed it should be ok.

When I suggested that to get the back, bottom edge of the side cover to align with the bodywork behind it I would have to either cut more of the side cover away, going right into the front face of the cover or grind some of the mounting bracket away he said I should not cut more of the cover away because it would not look good and that I should also not grind any of the mounting bracket away as this could weaken it.

He said that the cover hitting the bracket where they meet would not be a problem, and that as long as it stayed in place it would be fine.

He said that when they were building them they had 3 different bikes there and they were finding differences between the bikes when they tested them for fit.

To there credit ... the guards do look very nice, and very sturdy.

Will I take them off my bike because of the small things that bother me?  No.

Most people may not even notice the things I see, and I may not have even noticed these things on someone else's bike.
(I admit, I'm very anal about most everything I do, I like to make things perfect, or as close as I can get to it.)

This is just my experience, your results may vary.