Author Topic: Madstad windshields, Gerbing controllers... any experience?  (Read 15215 times)

Offline julianop

Madstad windshields, Gerbing controllers... any experience?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
My 2006 C10 has a Rifle windshield which is nice enough, until it gets cold (below 40F). Then I feel like Frankenstein's monster with a bolt through my neck after I've ridden my 360 mile, weekly commute. I have an Outdoor Research balaclava (a nice buy, by the way, I heartily recommend it) which, unlike most balaclavas, is actually padded at the rear where the vortex hits me, but that isn't enough for the long hauls.

It's definitely time for a better windshield and some heated gear.

I discovered Madstad Engineering the other day... http://www.madstad.com ... has anyone tried their pressure balancing windshield and/or robo brackets?

I should also ask what y'all think about Gerbing heated gear? I'm thinking of installing the twin controller and a pair of panel outlets on the left top fairing just north of my left knee.

Thanks..
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline udoggie

Re: Madstad windshields, Gerbing controllers... any experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:31:23 PM »
I should also ask what y'all think about Gerbing heated gear? I'm thinking of installing the twin controller and a pair of panel outlets on the left top fairing just north of my left knee.

I love my Gerbing gear.  They're amazing, and totally change cool/cold weather riding.

That's what I did, as far as mounting.  Here's a pic.  You can see the controller knobs up to the right of the glove box, and the jacks are down near the left knee.  (I've got a 2012 C14)

(You can also see the panel-mount battery tender jack that I mounted just forward of the glove box on the left.)

-Jeff

Aloha, OR.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
I love my Gerbing gear.  They're amazing, and totally change cool/cold weather riding.

+1.  The only regret in buying will be that you waited this long to get it.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline julianop

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
Just the responses I was hoping for. Thanks guys !
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »
I have a Madstad bracket on my Vstrom and love it. I don't think he makes one specifically for a C10, but I would think one could be adapted to work.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
I have the older style Madstad brackets on my Wee-Strom, I didn't know about the "Robo brackets" until I saw that video.  A lot of the 'Strom riders use them.  I made a new windshield out of my old Connie 'shield and mounted it on the Madstad brackets and it took about three adjustments to find the sweet spot, and I haven't moved it since.  I thought it might take different settings for different speeds, etc., but that hasn't proven to be the case.  I might have been able to make my own but it would have taken an awful lot of experimenting to find the correct angle.  I think it was worth the cost and it leaves me the ability to adjust it at any time if something changes that makes it necessary.  A lot depends on the shape of your windshield and your height, arms length (distance form the 'shield), helmet type, etc., as to how much turbulence you feel.  Pic below of my Wee-Strom with the home-made 'shield on it.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline julianop

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
Thanks 2fast, Nostro. I'm in touch with Madstad and it looks like he might be interested in doing something for me. I'd need to find a stock helmet for a base, though. Mine has a Rifle, which isn't good enough for the long miles I like to ride.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 01:21:42 AM »
Thanks 2fast, Nostro. I'm in touch with Madstad and it looks like he might be interested in doing something for me. I'd need to find a stock helmet for a base, though. Mine has a Rifle, which isn't good enough for the long miles I like to ride.

That's weird, I have a Rifle on my Connie and I get ZERO wind/turbulence behind it. Others have reported they don't like the turbulence behind a Rifle, but man, mine is just perfect for me. One thing I do notice is that it is smoother and quieter when I keep my helmet visor open, which I do 99% of the time.  Helmet is  Shoei RF1000.  I think mine may be smoother because I trimmed the upper corners for appearance but I'm pretty sure it helped to smooth out the burble at the corners.

pic below:
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline F-106

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »
I think before you get rid of the rifle setup you might want to try a taller rifle shield. I know mine had a 14" when I bought the bike and I had the same problem you talked about in your post. Went to the 17" and problem went away. Just food for thought.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline julianop

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:14:01 AM »
Nosmo, The turbulence in my face from the Rifle is OK - I could and do ride with my face shield open at least partially down to 30 F in town at up to 55 MPH. The problem is the vortex air that wraps around and hits me at the back of the neck, which is pure misery on long journeys below 40F. I have to pad up my neck with balaclava and scarf so much that I reduce my head movement.

You may be right about the trimming, but I'm loath to try it without a fallback. I don't dare make it worse.

F-106, I can comfortably see over my current shield. In fact I think it's perfect, because if I slouch or tuck down I'm looking through it. If I had a taller shield I'd be forever looking through it, which I wouldn't like.

If the technical description of the Madstat system is correct, the beneficial behavior is created by having a significant airflow directed up and parallel to the back side of the shield, which balances the air pressure behind the shield, thereby preventing - or at least reducing - the in-rush of air behind the rider. With some aviation experience under my belt that makes total sense to me.

What I may try, before I blow significant cash, is to create something of a ram scoop to direct more air through the duct at the base of the rifle. If that shows promise I will splurge for a Madstat and report findings.

Thanks for your opinions, lads.

Julian.
Elk River, MN.