Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 888519 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1680 on: November 29, 2015, 06:52:52 AM »
That's the one I have.  Seems to be doing well.  I like all the terminals and they don't seem to get loose like the original ones do.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #1681 on: November 29, 2015, 11:16:01 AM »
"waxed"... I only use synthetic polish/sealant :)   But people insist on calling it "waxing"!!!

Max, inquiring minds want to know how many miles now, and do you still store your beloved C14 outside?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1682 on: November 29, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
Max, inquiring minds want to know how many miles now,

I think about 18K now

and do you still store your beloved C14 outside?

It is stored inside a CycleShell.  But the tarp material is now starting to fail and allow water through.  I hoped it would have lasted longer considering I regularly treat it with Aerospace 505.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #1683 on: November 29, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »
Rode to work and back today.  Need to allow the grip warmers a bit of extra time to get up to temp.  Over half way before they could be felt thru my gloves.  Good weather protection though.  Funny, but the 11 feels like the 08, but then again it doesn't.  Can't tell what it is, but it's there, none the less.  Also believe I am more conscious if the engine's RPM, with the TBR exhaust over the super quiet of the bazooka stock one. 

The 11 doesn't seem to accelerate the same as the 08.  I do believe STEVE's  flash will definitely be added this Spring. 

To those who know things, does winter formula gas  cause some of this "lack of power" I am experiencing?  To be clear, when I "hit it", the bike pulls like crazy at the upper RPM range, so that feels the same as the 08 did, but could the TBR cause some of the Low RPM flatness I am feeling?  I did add the db killer before today's commute, but was unable to tell much difference w/wo the killer with the type riding of the commute, except it is decently quieter.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1684 on: November 29, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »
Rode to work and back today.  Need to allow the grip warmers a bit of extra time to get up to temp.  Over half way before they could be felt thru my gloves.

Before I put grip puppies over the grips, they would get warmer much faster.  Now they take about 5 min before I feel anything.  But it is a small price to pay for the additional comfort afforded by the extra padding.  One tip- turn the grips on MAXIMUM setting until you feel the heat, then you can cut it back.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #1685 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:48 PM »
Before I put grip puppies over the grips, they would get warmer much faster.  Now they take about 5 min before I feel anything.  But it is a small price to pay for the additional comfort afforded by the extra padding.  One tip- turn the grips on MAXIMUM setting until you feel the heat, then you can cut it back.
Thanks. Similar time frame for me.  I do have the puppies on the bike, and it does take a while for the heat to penetrate through them.  I'm used to BMW's, that can scald one's hands in no time, even thru the puppies and gloves. 

sailor_chic

« Reply #1686 on: November 29, 2015, 05:04:04 PM »
Tom, I just rode Steve's bike yesterday. All I can say is that you WANT the flash!!

Offline tomp

« Reply #1687 on: November 29, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »
Tom, I just rode Steve's bike yesterday. All I can say is that you WANT the flash!!
Thanks. I appreciate your info.  tomp

sailor_chic

« Reply #1688 on: November 29, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
Thanks. Similar time frame for me.  I do have the puppies on the bike, and it does take a while for the heat to penetrate through them.  I'm used to BMW's, that can scald one's hands in no time, even thru the puppies and gloves.

Connies grip heaters certainly wont heat like that. They are rather weak with gloves and puppies.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1689 on: November 29, 2015, 05:38:57 PM »
Connies grip heaters certainly wont heat like that. They are rather weak with gloves and puppies.

Actually, given time, on maximum, they can get quite hot.  Much hotter than I have ever needed.  Of course, to me, freaking-ass-cold is in the mid 30's.  I know there are people out there who ride below that, but I can't seem to manage with the gear I have.  At some point, it just isn't worth it to me anymore... and low 40's is around that point.

Interestingly, I have winter gloves that I almost never use.  With them on, I don't need the heated grips at all.  What the heated grips allow me to do is to use my year-round gloves even when it is cold.  And that is nice because the winter gloves are thick and annoying!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:49:35 PM by maxtog »

Offline tomp

« Reply #1690 on: November 29, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
Found that out today, being our first below 50's day.  Rode the R-R after work just to see the difference, and there was a big one, for sure.  Being a nekked roadster, the cold wind is much more evident on it, but it is such a blast to ride, whether warm or cold days.

Thanks Max, I may try a different pair of gloves tomorrow, one's not thinsulated like today's....tp

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #1691 on: November 29, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Rode to work and back today.  Need to allow the grip warmers a bit of extra time to get up to temp.  Over half way before they could be felt thru my gloves.  Good weather protection though.  Funny, but the 11 feels like the 08, but then again it doesn't.  Can't tell what it is, but it's there, none the less.  Also believe I am more conscious if the engine's RPM, with the TBR exhaust over the super quiet of the bazooka stock one. 

The 11 doesn't seem to accelerate the same as the 08.  I do believe STEVE's  flash will definitely be added this Spring. 

To those who know things, does winter formula gas  cause some of this "lack of power" I am experiencing?  To be clear, when I "hit it", the bike pulls like crazy at the upper RPM range, so that feels the same as the 08 did, but could the TBR cause some of the Low RPM flatness I am feeling?  I did add the db killer before today's commute, but was unable to tell much difference w/wo the killer with the type riding of the commute, except it is decently quieter.  tp

When I installed my V&H CS-1, I noticed a bit less seat torque below 4K. From tuning small block Chevy's back in the day, I learned that most engines need some back pressure at low revs for good torque- higher up in the revs, most engines including C14's love that wide open exhaust. Sounds like SISF can fix all of our low rev problems, though. I would never think of putting that bazooka back on.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #1692 on: November 30, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
Installed a Battery Tender Jr. Battery voltage was down to 12.2 after only a month of sitting in my heated garage. Decided to clean the terminals, retighten, and add a bit of fluid film while the battery was out. Only pain in the ass was the little nut inside the positive terminal. Got tired of it walking out of position, so I used a bit of di-electric grease to hold it in place for reassembly. ;D
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #1693 on: December 01, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
I found a solution for retaining those little nuts in the battery terminals.
Might help someone.

I cut a piece of clear plastic hose, flatten it, and place it under the nuts.
The piece of hose acts as a spring to hold the nut in place.
When the terminal is installed, the bolt screws down against it or thru it.
Works out great.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:03:10 AM by connie_rider »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1694 on: December 01, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
I found a solution for retaining those little nuts in the batter terminals.
Might help someone.

Works out great.

Ride safe, Ted

Great idea!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #1695 on: December 01, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »

I have experienced the same thing, the 8-9 seemed better down low than the 10-up which are pretty crummy feely below 5000 rpm. I've looked over the base maps and haven't found any significant differences, but something is different, I believe maybe a trim map somewhere I haven't seen.

Also, I have experience with the 2 bros slipon, it doesn't kill low rpm torque, the comments about back pressure don't apply here because of the VVT system and lack of cam overlap under 5k, but I can tell you the DB killer is a HP killer for sure, basically it dumbs the engine down to stock muffler flow / power. HTH, Steve

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1696 on: December 01, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »
   I have experienced the same thing, the 8-9 seemed better down low than the 10-up which are pretty crummy feely below 5000 rpm. I've looked over the base maps and haven't found any significant differences, but something is different, I believe maybe a trim map somewhere I haven't seen.

Also, I have experience with the 2 bros slipon, it doesn't kill low rpm torque, the comments about back pressure don't apply here because of the VVT system and lack of cam overlap under 5k, but I can tell you the DB killer is a HP killer for sure, basically it dumbs the engine down to stock muffler flow / power. HTH, Steve

The superiority of the 1st gens shine though again.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #1697 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Might help someone.

Works out great.

Ride safe, Ted

Great idea Ted! I will be set for next time.
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #1698 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »
Yesterday, got the 600 mile dealer check out of the way at 629 miles.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #1699 on: December 01, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
Might help someone.

Works out great.

Ride safe, Ted

A piece of cardboard cut the right size works, too. Even tends to stay in place. Just an option for somebody with cardboard but no rubber hose  :chugbeer: