Author Topic: LOUDER HORN!  (Read 19289 times)

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
LOUDER HORN!
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »
I had TWO idiots pull out in front of me within 1 mile of the house. Retard #1 had ear phones on riding their bicycle. Retard #2 was just an idiot and turned in front of me because they could. THe factory horn is sad. Why do they put these piece of junk on bikes all these years. I had a FZR600 that I added a horn from a 78 Chevy Caprice and man did it get some attention.

What have you done?
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline Flying Kaw

• Arena
Re: LOUDER HORN!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
BMW 1150RT horns.  They require no special circuit or extreme volt/amps.  They are loud...like a car horn.
If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist you'll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an IDIOT.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
Usually by the time I can actually hit the horn, I am out of danger.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »

+1...

Never fails, I always seem to hit the starter button first...  :nuts:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »
I had TWO idiots pull out in front of me within 1 mile of the house. Retard #1 had ear phones on riding their bicycle. Retard #2 was just an idiot and turned in front of me because they could. THe factory horn is sad. Why do they put these piece of junk on bikes all these years.

I have no idea why they would put such a pathetic horn on the Concours.  On my ZRX, I added an air horn and mounted it on the faring (visible!)   Eventually, I will get around to adding a LOUD air horn on the Concours, too (but probably under the fairing
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »

Yeah, I have that problem too.  Then I would only honk out of purely being pissed off.  But occasionally, I can honk ahead and avoid a potential problem (well, that is when I had an air horn on me previous bike.  Ain't nobody gonna hear the tiny OEM beep on the Concours)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:13:03 PM »
I have no idea why they would put such a pathetic horn on the Concours.  On my ZRX, I added an air horn and mounted it on the faring (visible!)   Eventually, I will get around to adding a LOUD air horn on the Concours, too (but probably under the fairing

My ZRX didn't have a horn for awhile....When I switched to a round headlight, my under fairing bracket from Ted didn't work.  So I left it off.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »
I wonder if a goldwing horn would be plug and play?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 02:40:40 AM »
Stebel nautilus, loud as , well a loud horn  ;D  Just don't blow it in your garage without hearing protection  :-X
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 06:04:55 AM »
Stebel nautilus, loud as , well a loud horn  ;D  Just don't blow it in your garage without hearing protection  :-X

I have that horn, the only problem is that it's a pain in the ass to find a place to mount it.  As asked above, I think the Goldwing Horn might be my next choice.  I have a Goldwing and it's horn is damn near as loud as the air horn.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »
Guys,

I just purchased the Stebel Nautilus Horn for my bike.
Would any of You guys that have purchased this horn have any install / mounting suggestions?
If so please post.

thanks,
C14-Pilot
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »
I have that horn, the only problem is that it's a pain in the ass to find a place to mount it.

I mounted mine on the left side under the plastic, using a bolt located on the top of the frame.  Used the strap that comes with the horn and made a u shape on one end, loosened the bolt, slipped the strap under and re-tightened the bolt.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:44:03 AM »
Where are you guys purchasing the Stebel nautilus horn?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:36 AM »
I purchased mine at bikerhiway.com
It was 38.00 for the horn and 19.99 for pnp wiring harness.
Free ground shipping.

2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:06 AM »
Where are you guys purchasing the Stebel nautilus horn?

www.murphskits.com   ;)
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
Here's what Fred did.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/horns

I have a FIAMM freeway blaster low that I plan on installing one of these days, I'll be keeping the stocker as well.

meep meep
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jonathan

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:25:40 AM »
I wonder if a goldwing horn would be plug and play?

I think that any horn would be plug and play. Just bolt it on wherever it will fit and plug in to the existing horn wire. Horns shouldn't be activated long enough to require a wiring upgrade.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 09:28:59 AM »
I think that any horn would be plug and play. Just bolt it on wherever it will fit and plug in to the existing horn wire. Horns shouldn't be activated long enough to require a wiring upgrade.

NOT true! I don't know what the horn button is rated at but if you exceed the current rating you stand a good chance of melting the thing. It's way better to use a horn relay.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »

It IS a Japanese bike that is also sold in European and Asian countries where the horn is used on an almost continuous basis as an alert in traffic.  Here in the U.S. the horn has a different meaning, e.g. "You really f***d up you ***hole!"

Offline jonathan

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
NOT true! I don't know what the horn button is rated at but if you exceed the current rating you stand a good chance of melting the thing. It's way better to use a horn relay.

How long would you have to blow the upgraded horn for the contacts to overheat?