Author Topic: '88 Fender on '05 'brace' - Installed  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Stasch

'88 Fender on '05 'brace' - Installed
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »
Opinions on fender wanted on an '05 with 27,5xx miles that I'm made whole after a ~20 mph right low side into a soft muddy ditch.  It now has red '88 plastic and bags while retaining the newer style inner cockpit and guages.

I'm considering using the old style fender, using the newer fender fork 'brace' from the '05.  Below are some pics of it mocked up on the '05 / '88 next to my 2000 for comparison.  It has some scuffing on the top surface right between the forks, where the older style top mounted fork brace used to be.

What you would think about the bike and the older fender if you were considering purchasing the bike?

It will have a salvage title since ins. co. totalled it due to the OEM replacement costs for the entire fairing including inners, fuel tank (which had minor ripples / dents where inner fairings kissed it) and the saddlebags.

Older style body looks good, but is not showroom new with normal cosmetic stuff from an '88 bike with ~50,000 miles. 

All mechanical items remained from the 2005.  Bike drives, steers, brakes and runs great.  Everything is stock - WS, seat, pegs, bars, brakes, front end, etc. 

Maintenance items just done include:  oil / filter change, valve adjust, carb sync.  Its ready to go anywhere.  Dunlop Elite 3 oversize tires - not my favorite - but plenty of tread left.  Bike is ready to go anywhere.

What are your opinions on:

- a fair and realistic asking price.

- The older fender appearance including the minor scuffing between the forks.

- Would the sale value of the '05 / '88 increase by the cost of a newer style $159 fender?

- the bike in general.

More Pics Here:  MORE PICS !
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:28:16 PM by Stasch »
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline yoman

Re: Front Fender - Old vs. New - Opinions Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
It is what it is. Looks good, runs good, drives good. It comes with a salvage title so everybody knows what it is. sell it that way. My bike came with a salvage title and I love it.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Stasch

'88 Fender on '05 'brace' - Installed
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Decided to use the older fender.

Here's what it looks like completed:

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

Offline Leo

Re: '88 Fender on '05 'brace' - Installed
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:07:41 PM »
I always liked the more compact lines of the early fender better.  (even though all my bikes came with the later fender)  I think you choose well.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Stasch

Re: '88 Fender on '05 'brace' - Installed
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »
The more I look at it, the more I like how it goes with the newer style black fork tubes. 

Glad I did this rather than buying a new one.

All it took was drilling holes in the fork 'brace' from the newer style fender.