Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 889511 times)

Offline BruceR

• Arena
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2320 on: July 21, 2016, 07:19:57 PM »
???  It is perfectly safe to jump start a 12v bike from a 12v car.  I don't know why he would be horrified, or even concerned!
I've always just made sure the car was not running when I jumped a bike battery.  That's the safest way to do it and make sure you don't harm the motorcycle electrics. 

Offline tomp

« Reply #2321 on: July 21, 2016, 07:40:58 PM »
Agree about the car to bike jump, should be OK with engine off.  I got a charger from Wallyworld.  2A, 10A, and a 50A jumper mode.  I've brought bike batteries back with the 10A, applied for several hours, but never would use the 50A on a bike.  Works well on a car though. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline tomp

« Reply #2322 on: July 21, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
Didn't get to ride the 14 today, but did get it an adventurous cousin to share the garage.  2008 Ducati MTS1100S.  Ohlins, Brembos, CF everywhere, only 16K miles, one owner, Sargent seats, Zard exhaust, and brand new set of PR4's.  Of course it is Duc Red, and is stable at 10-15 MPH faster in curves/turns, on roads that I normally ride on the 14 and Ninja. (and that was just a test ride.)  Great priced play bike, for sure. tomp

sailor_chic

« Reply #2323 on: July 21, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »
How many bikes is this now Tom?

Offline tomp

« Reply #2324 on: July 21, 2016, 10:09:18 PM »
How many bikes is this now Tom?
In the garage, four.  C14, 1150RT, commuter 650 Ninja R, and the MTS play bike. Not that one can't seriously play on the 14, as you well know, the Duc weighs under 500 with hard bags and top case.  The Ohlins are unbelievable.  Only 95 BHP, but pulls like crazy in the turns/curves, super stable.  WTH, not a Harley in sight now. 

You still at work?  On or off shore???   tp

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #2325 on: July 22, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »
???  It is perfectly safe to jump start a 12v bike from a 12v car.  I don't know why he would be horrified, or even concerned!

I'm convinced he was attempting to generate revenue...  Maybe a battery sale, or at least a battery health check and charge fee..

2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #2326 on: July 22, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
got mine charged up enough to start with the 10a charge, only took 1 hour, then I switched it to 2 amps for a few hours.

The only thing that scares me about jumping the bike would be accidentally touching the red clamp to the bike frame (jumper cable clamps are huge) and/or frying some expensive electrical component.  I have done it before on 1980s bikes with no issue, but their batteries were more easily accessible.
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2327 on: July 22, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
(the dealer I spoke to later was HORRIFIED that I'd jumped it from a car - told me that was almost guaranteed to fry everything.  I took that with a grain of salt since I'd dome it 3 times before speaking to him...  I suppose it's possible...)

I wouldn't take any thing to that dealer for service ever again.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2328 on: July 22, 2016, 10:32:27 AM »
Passing along my experience with a lithium battery: Our local bike dealership was trying to diagnose an electrical problem on my BIL's bike, which has (had!) a lithium battery. They decided the battery needed charging so connected a regular ol' 10A charger to it, and the battery melted. I contacted the manufacturer, and they warned not to charge lithium batteries with standard chargers, and never jump start them: "A lithium battery can't handle the in-rush." In-rush of course refers to current, aka current, aka amps, so while making sure your battery and the charging source are both 12V is important, it's not the only thing.

I think battery manufacturers could add something to the battery to handle in-rush, but I dunno if any do (yet?). And I guess there would go some of the weight savings.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2329 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
I generally clamp a pair of ViseGrips to the battery terminal then connect the cables to them
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #2330 on: July 22, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
I wouldn't take any thing to that dealer for service ever again.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  I do as much as I (or any other mechanically inept punter) can without going there, but they're the only Kawi dealer in a 2 hr radius.  They actually get very little of my money - purchase almost everything online, and do routine maintenance at home.  There are a couple generic bike shops with decent mechanics in the area - at least that's what I'm told - I haven't needed to avail myself of their services yet...

But the dealer has tapped me for KDS work for fob and tpms..   Oh well, pay to play, I guess...    ::)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

sailor_chic

« Reply #2331 on: July 22, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »
 Nice collection Tom. Have a pic of the new one?
I'm on this damn boat right now and the Capt is suffering from PMS. Simply put, he's being a complete a$$.
Here's the silver lining, in two weeks I fly back out to Seattle to get my bike and ride back home. :)

Offline tomp

« Reply #2332 on: July 22, 2016, 10:15:27 PM »
Nice collection Tom. Have a pic of the new one?
I'm on this damn boat right now and the Capt is suffering from PMS. Simply put, he's being a complete a$$.
Here's the silver lining, in two weeks I fly back out to Seattle to get my bike and ride back home. :)
People will be people.  Ignore the captain and think of that silver lining.  I got a great deal on the new bike, and then today my insurance company told me it's going to be $100 a month to insure it.  Eight years old and worth $6K and they want almost 25% the value to cover it.  I'm still looking for the silver lining there.  Oh well, it is a Ducati, and has the best in brakes, wheels, suspension, seating, and tires, and it's RED...  The green Z1000 behind it used to be mine too.  It's what I traded for the C14 I now have, the first time I purchased it... 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2333 on: July 23, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
I got a great deal on the new bike, and then today my insurance company told me it's going to be $100 a month to insure it. 

You bought a vehicle BEFORE checking the insurance pricing?   I would never do that... there is a HUGE variation in pricing (and much of it is probably arbitrary and often unfair).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #2334 on: July 23, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »
You bought a vehicle BEFORE checking the insurance pricing?   I would never do that... there is a HUGE variation in pricing (and much of it is probably arbitrary and often unfair).
Yes I did, and should have realized that I wasn't going to get a decent rating on the Duc.  Had an 09 R1200R, and the insurance company rated it as a supersport, the same as an  S1000RR, R1, Panigale 1299, etc.  Sent pics and comparisons, which did no good, so I sold it.   Paying $400 a year for the '11 C14, but since the new bike has the letters D.U.C.A.T.I on it, the ins. co; believes they can get away with highway robbery.  It's almost $500 for liability only, which I took.  OK, rant over, but I emailed my agent last night and told her I would never buy another bike without her first...  tp

Offline tomp

« Reply #2335 on: July 23, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
Further details to the MTS saga.  Since none of the keys would open the bags, I was going to visit the dealer to check into it.  WTH, the bike won't start, battery seemed good, but starter wouldn't engage.  Over and over I tried.  Called the dealer and asked if we could cancel the sale.  He said no biggie, and they came and picked it up. Originally I went in there because they had an XR1200, that I wanted, so I bought it today instead.  No Ohlins, Brembos, L Twin, etc, but I had owned an XR in the past and this one felt more solid than the last one and guess I can live without the best stuff.  New Michelin tires installed.  Insurance premium is way less too.

Guess I found that second guessing myself might not always be the best thing to do.  Kinda, the enemy you know is better than the one you don't... tomp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2336 on: July 23, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »
pics of the xr ?

Offline tomp

« Reply #2337 on: July 23, 2016, 04:14:17 PM »
Here's a couple...

Not C14 by any means, but a torque monster, and great brakes, for a Harley.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:02:43 PM by tomp »

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2338 on: July 25, 2016, 07:44:33 AM »
Boo ya!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2339 on: July 25, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »
Black headers and two into one cf slipon?