Author Topic: scrapple?  (Read 8456 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
scrapple?
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
I know scrapple is a East coast food. Im hoping that I will be able to find it while in Vt.
For those of you that have never heard of it, consider yourself lucky
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: scrapple?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 08:03:52 PM »
Northern grits?
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
I know scrapple is a East coast food. Im hoping that I will be able to find it while in Vt.
For those of you that have never heard of it, consider yourself lucky

Probably won't find it in VT.  It's an Eastern PA thing.  Although you can usually find it in some grocery stores in southern NY and NJ.

I love it, but it only ranks third on my breakfast meat scale.  Taylor Pork Roll and bacon are numbers one and two.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
It's the stuff that they won't put in hot dogs.  ;D
Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",scrapple is typically made of hogoffal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline The Other Brian

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »
You'll very likely find it passing thru PA on the way to Vermont. 

Coon Rapids MN
2010 FJR 1300

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »
They've got this godawful stuff in Cincinnati called goetta.  Meat mixed with pin oatmeal or something and loaved.  Just terrible but the local restaurants all serve it.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
It's lips and ass but it tastes great!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
There's more than one reason I'm a vegetarian (he says as he cleans the puke off his keyboard). :doublepuke:
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Laserjock

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »
They sell it at Safeway here in CA; I had it when my father bought some a few years ago. He's from PA.

=Laserjock=

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:31:05 AM »
I never heard of it, I thought that it was some kinda game.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 05:36:31 AM »
I never heard of it, I thought that it was some kinda game.
LOL.  I had some on a dare years ago.  I luv the stuff. 
It's the stuff that they won't put in hot dogs.  ;D
Locally called "everything but the oink" or made with "everything but the squeal",scrapple is typically made of hogoffal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.
I still like it.  I told ya if ya dont know, ya dont wana know
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 05:38:15 AM »
Probably won't find it in VT.  It's an Eastern PA thing.  Although you can usually find it in some grocery stores in southern NY and NJ.

I love it, but it only ranks third on my breakfast meat scale.  Taylor Pork Roll and bacon are numbers one and two.
Thanks Jon.  I believe that is where I was when I tried it the first time (in Pa).
2002 Conc

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 06:07:32 AM »
We lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland in Salisbury right out of college in the mid 90's, my wife and I, we were introduced to Scrapple....she was doing her dietetics internship...neither could muster up enough nerve to eat it.  We would call it "Scrapple the other gray meat".  Best of luck.

Bob

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:06 AM »
It's more eastern Pa, MD, De and south. No self respecting yankee would every eat that $h!t! Why becuase it tastes like      $h!t!!!!!!   :D

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
It's the floor sweepings from the pork factory. I aint that poor or hungry

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 06:52:08 AM »
It's the floor sweepings from the pork factory. I aint that poor or hungry
It's more eastern Pa, MD, De and south. No self respecting yankee would every eat that $h!t! Why becuase it tastes like      $h!t!!!!!!   :D
So I take it neither of you care much for it ??? ???
I'm not sure that I would want to live on it, but it sure was good when I tried it.  I think it tastes along the lines of corned beef hash.  I am also the kinda guy that would try 95% of the "food" that Andrew Jimmerman (bazzar foods) eats :o :doublepuke:
2002 Conc

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:57 AM »
You can find it here in Georgia. I like it. I used to live in New Jersey across the river from Philly if that helps.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »

+1 on the Taylor Pork Roll. 2 or 3 slices fried, with mustard on bread .....
My wife's family is from Jersey so I have eaten scrapple a few times ......but one day I read the ingredients label and havent touched it since then.
It tastes good, but I just cant get passed the stuff I read on that label. CigarSki was pretty accurate with his description.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:15:16 PM by OCK913 »
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
Best description I've ever heard of it was from a Canadian who described it as "sort of a sausage meat loaf".  He loves it now, but hasn't found it in Canada.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
Best description I've ever heard of it was from a Canadian who described it as "sort of a sausage meat loaf".  He loves it now, but hasn't found it in Canada.
:rotflmao: yeah "sausage" pretty much covers the ingredients.
+1 on the Taylor Pork Roll. 2 or 3 slices fried, with mustard on bread .....
My wife's family is from Jersey so I have eaten scrapple a few times ......but one day I read the ingredients label and havent touched it since then.
It tastes god, but I just cant get passed the stuff I read on that label. CigarSki was pretty accurate with his description.
If you have ever worked or taken a tour of a processing plant there will be a lot of things you wouldnt want to eat.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss
2002 Conc