Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727894 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2980 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:22 AM »
Get out there and concours those conditions!

Seriously, I don't know how anybody can stand that. Here in FL right now at 10 am wind chill is 22 and even that is enough to ruin my day. Makes me wanna lay in bed all day and night with the electric blanket on, which is just not my thang; I like to do stuff!

I'll be content to stay indoors with the wood stove roaring!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2981 on: January 05, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
Thought I'd add a little something to make y'all feel warmer...

Here it was -32C yesterday morning, with the wind chill taking that down to about -41C.

F and C readings meet at -40, so no conversion necessary...

Jamie (in cold Canada)

Well, that's just Celsius. Been that cold in northern MN in good old F'n degrees! My work travel destination was -32F this morning (no silly windchill added) and between there and the northern border posted a -44*F official reading. Going on the third week of it, getting a bit tired of it now.
Not really enough snow to really use the sleds much other than around the property and maybe haul some wood. Never the less, it's just too cold to ride them.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2982 on: January 05, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
With temps that cold you can try this.  :thumbs:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=B3VHGTQQs-4
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2983 on: January 05, 2018, 06:33:47 PM »
That is just cool (pun intended). Really, pretty neat. We have what I think of as a 'full' winter here but it only goes sub- zero a couple of times per year and usually only single digits below zero at that. So we never get that -40 and lower stuff.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2984 on: January 05, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »

Yeah, pretty "cool", but certainly nothing new or untried by many a local youngster.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2985 on: January 25, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
And now for something completely different..... or 'Here is something you do not see everyday, Martha'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62ixJsa59g

The police think it may be a drug- deal gone bad. I, on the other hand, am completely sure it went badly.

There is a surprising lack of gun control shown there (a firm hand and a steady eye is always needed for proper gun control) but I do have to give some credit for creative and fast use of one's surroundings; the kid of the left getting out of the car and ducking behind the truck was fast, smooth and clever. The initial shooter, on the other hand, did  a poor job of altogether IMO; he started shooting before he was close enough, was shooting from a moving car (should have stopped) and missed at least two of his intended targets. In fact, no one was shot during that video.

And the car on the left ran a red light too- truly evil people!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rob9876

• Beginner Motorcycling
« Reply #2986 on: January 25, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
Whoa, lucky for them neither of them can shoot.  Hope nobody on that busy street was hurt.
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (sold)
Beginner Motorcycling

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2987 on: January 25, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
There was a little blurb about the video where I picked it up and I do not believe anyone was shot.

Still, pretty nasty to have an 'OK Corral' type of gunfight in the middle of a city, in the middle of an intersection, in the middle of the day. A friend once said 'You know, that projectile is still yours, no matter where it ends up. And if it ends up in someone's chest, someone will be looking for the original owner.....'. Wise words that I never forgot. I do not pretend to be smart enough to know the solution(s) to this problem but it really IS a problem and unfortunately, all too often the victims are those by standers, or those sitting on their porch, or those watching TV in their living rooms, etc. And it is an entirely man- made problem that we are in total control of, not like cancer of forest fires and similar. This is something we inflict on ourselves entirely. And it is getting worse.

OK,  rant over and I will try for something a little bit lighter next time.

Brian

Whoa, lucky for them neither of them can shoot.  Hope nobody on that busy street was hurt.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2988 on: January 25, 2018, 03:34:45 PM »
Just watched a TV show about Julius Streicher, and when hanged at Nuremberg, he did not die from snapping his neck but strangled to death. In fact, he was alive 15 minutes after the drop and the hangman went down and actually pulled on his legs to 'finish him'. The reporter Howard K. Smith was the only American reporter to witness the hangings and after Streicher, he found the hangman (who was NOT a professional hangman and merely a US serviceman) and asked what happened. The G.I. replied something to the effect "I strangled the son of a bitch!". So that would lend evidence that some of the 'mishaps' suffered during those hangings were not accidents or the results of incompetence. And Streicher was a particularly bad Nazi, so much so that the other Nazis there on trial could not stand him and he had been ejected out of the Nazi party some years earlier, during the war, due to his being obnoxious. Most of those hanged at Nuremberg did die of a broken neck, as hanging is supposed to cause, not strangling.

Brian

Cheerful subject for this time of year Brian!  ;)

I thought the thing regarding the hangings after Nuremberg was retribution because the Nazi's were infamous for using piano wire with the tip of the toes just touching.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2989 on: January 25, 2018, 04:18:18 PM »
Just watched a TV show about Julius Streicher, and when hanged at Nuremberg, he did not die from snapping his neck but strangled to death.

I'm OK with that.

In fact, he was alive 15 minutes after the drop and the hangman went down and actually pulled on his legs to 'finish him'.

... and that.

The reporter Howard K. Smith was the only American reporter to witness the hangings and after Streicher, he found the hangman (who was NOT a professional hangman and merely a US serviceman) and asked what happened. The G.I. replied something to the effect "I strangled the son of a bitch!".

... and that.

And Streicher was a particularly bad Nazi, ...

"Bad Nazi"? Ha! Oxymoron? Double negative? Whatever it is, doesn't seem right.

... so much so that the other Nazis there on trial could not stand him and he had been ejected out of the Nazi party some years earlier, during the war, due to his being obnoxious.

It's my understanding that most (or all) Nazis were obnoxious. Well, I suppose even the most obnoxious person has somebody they think is obnoxious.

Most of those hanged at Nuremberg did die of a broken neck, as hanging is supposed to cause, not strangling.

Tomato, tomahto.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2990 on: January 25, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »
Particularly bad Nazi. Sort of like how some people in prison (rapists, child molesters, etc.) get killed by other prisoners  because they are considered 'bad' by a group of people all proven to be 'bad'. So yeah, bad Nazi works. There were good Nazis too, at least two of which are honored with the title Righteous among the Nations by the Israelis, and at least one of which is buried in Israel (Oskar Schindler).

Brian

<snip>

"Bad Nazi"? Ha! Oxymoron? Double negative? Whatever it is, doesn't seem right.

<snip>

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2991 on: February 03, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
and what's wrong with this?    :P

Airline sparks outrage after scantily-clad models put on show

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/03/airline-sparks-outrage-after-scantily-clad-models-put-on-show.html

A low-budget Vietnamese airline was fined Tuesday by aviation officials after scantily-clad models put on a sexy show for the country’s under-23 soccer team.

Last Sunday, the team was returning from China after losing to Uzbekistan in the Asian Cup but was celebrated with an in-flight lingerie show on a Vietjet Air plane, Reuters reported.

Pictures of the players with the models went viral online, drawing widespread scrutiny from social media users.

“Who let these escaped chimpanzees on the plane welcome home the under-23 team?” somebody wrote on Facebook.

The Vietnamese airline has been in hot water before for making flight attendants wear sexy clothing during a flight, and for risqué advertising.

The airline’s president Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao, who is also the country's first female billionaire, apologized in a statement on the company’s Facebook page and wrote that the show was unplanned.

“This was an improvised performance by the logistics team that was not part of the company’s program,” Thao wrote.

video   https://www.facebook.com/likechovietnam2/videos/412932102494360/

However, Lai Thanh, one of the show’s models, told Reuters Vietjet representatives told her to “grab a photo with the players.”

The Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam fined the airline $1,761 and Vietjet’s “chief stewardess” $175 for the performance, Reuters reported.

“Despite the fact the Vietjet event didn’t jeopardize the safety of the flight, it could still have posed a safety risk,” the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam said in a statement.

The New York Post reported social media users asking if the show “perked up the guys.”

“If it did, then the work the girls put into getting all dolled up was worth it for them,” a person wrote.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2992 on: February 03, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
And whilst you were upset about scantily clad women...something of a more serious and insidious design was happening just north west of me....

https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/lego-scam-walmart-uncovered-stafford-police?utm_source=newsletter-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=police%20%26%20fire&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=article-topstories&utm_slot=1

That's right, Legos.  Is nothing in this world sacred anymore?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2993 on: February 03, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
And under the headline...Goose 1, Hunter 1..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hunter-knocked-unconscious-dead-goose-142252976.html

As a side note, I was nearly knocked off a bike by one of those beasts.....the goose, not the hunter.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2994 on: February 03, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »
And to top it all off....we're forecast about an inch of snow on Sunday.   :yikes:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2995 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:30 PM »
And to top it all off....we're forecast about an inch of snow on Sunday.   :yikes:

Thankfully, where I am, that will just be rain.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2996 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »
And whilst you were upset about scantily clad women...something of a more serious and insidious design was happening just north west of me....

https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/lego-scam-walmart-uncovered-stafford-police?utm_source=newsletter-daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=police%20%26%20fire&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=article-topstories&utm_slot=1

That's right, Legos.  Is nothing in this world sacred anymore?

Just to be clear, Jim. I seldom get upset over scantily clad women. Unless, of course, I don't get to see them often enough.    :P

As for the Lego scam, I smell a movie in the works!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2997 on: February 04, 2018, 06:39:52 AM »

Well, of course it's going to top it all off! Where else would the new snow go, under the old snow?    ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2998 on: February 04, 2018, 06:41:39 AM »
And under the headline...Goose 1, Hunter 1..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hunter-knocked-unconscious-dead-goose-142252976.html

As a side note, I was nearly knocked off a bike by one of those beasts.....the goose, not the hunter.

Some of the comments are amusing.

Bald Eagle14 hours ago
Was he playing “goose, goose, DUCK!!!?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2999 on: February 04, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
Some of the comments are amusing.

Bald Eagle14 hours ago
Was he playing “goose, goose, DUCK!!!?
The meat hating snowflakes came out to comment, too.