Author Topic: Out riding after 11 years!  (Read 3408 times)

Bob

Out riding after 11 years!
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:10 PM »
Well after 11 years of sleep. My C10 (now on the road) went out for her first real (legal) ride in over 11 years! She ran real rough at first compared to last year when I got her running. But once well warmed up and still idling rough, I ventured out for a real ride. (not just around the neighborhood.) I made it all the way around the corner when she died!   :o
 Then I realized that I never put much gas in after sealing it last year. So I flipped her on reserve, and she fired back up!    :-[    So I continued on. She was running pretty rough (especially in the low RPMs). She was quite warm and had been run a little bit, so once out on the main roads, I opened her up a little at a time. Of course I stopped and put fresh gas in her!
 Slowly she ran better and better. I would run the RPMs up and back it down, running in lower gears. But with in short order, she was purring along. Within 10-15 miles of riding, she was running quite good. Still just a little rough at idle to 2K. A little less rough at 2K-3K. And smooth as a babies butt above 3K. The longer I rode her, the better she seemed to get.
 It was dinner time so I headed for home. She was still idling a little rough, but not bad as I pulled her in the barn. But night and day better than when I pulled out. I figure a little more ride time, and some maintenance, she'll get better and better. I have new plugs sitting on the tool box from last year still!
 So it's time to start with changing out some old parts like hoses and plugs. Then I can get to work on cleaning up and fixing parts from her tip over years ago. But it seems pretty cosmetic. But I have upgrades for her already. The Targa windshield has to go! (A Cee Bailey is ready to replace it!) The 86 seat also seems pretty good. But it was a short ride again. But I always liked the older C10 seat over the newer anyway. But my Corbin is waiting to go on as well.
 It amazing how well this bike ran and rode once under way. It still rode like a newer bike. I guess 11,600 miles on an 86 is still kind of new though!   ::)   One thing I did notice though is the riding position is surprisingly aggressive. I feel very tucked in compared to the C14 and FJR. I don't remember my 03 being this aggressive! But anyway she felt good on the road. So good that I had no worries about her. She felt very stable and rode true and straight. I ran her up to 100 a few times. Even at that speed, she was very smooth running and riding.
 So my first (legal) and decent distance ride on her was very encouraging. I want to keep working on her now. But to find the time! But in all I can say that the old girl still impressed me. She was a little lacking in power compared to the bigger and newer sport tours. But she did and felt well, for a 25 year old bike!  :)

Offline roadrunner322

Re: Out riding after 11 years!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
I'd put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner such as Valvoline Complete Fuel System Cleaner in a tank and run it through.
Currently Own
1985 Kawasaki ZN700

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
Bob- I hope we will see the classic Conc Saturday.    Tom Taylor Cog #7173

Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Bob- I hope we will see the classic Conc Saturday.    Tom Taylor Cog #7173

As much as I would like to ride her. I wouldn't go that far yet, without some work on her. No, unfortunately, I didn't get back into this project soon enough. So I'll be on the FJR!  ::)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:44:43 PM »
Nice. How'd the tires look after 11 years and 100 mph?
2014 C-14 Red

Bob

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:57:54 PM »
Nice. How'd the tires look after 11 years and 100 mph?

Actually they look like brand new. I do question riding tires that old. But there is zero signs of age like dry rot. They have always been inside. And even so, they rode very nice. Crazy maybe, but they felt like new tires. Not the latest and greatest tires. But a very good feel to them! I still may wind up replacing them with Avon's anyway. I always like Avon's on my C10!

Offline medicevans

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
Very good!  Love it when an older bike makes a reappearance!  I would definitely pull the carbs and clean them well, replace the air box boots, flush all the fluids and get new tires on it and it will run as well as the day you put it up.

Offline syntor

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:12:24 AM »

I don't remember my 03 being this aggressive!

Great to get a good bike back on the road.

Your '03 wasn't that aggressive! The '86 has lower bars than all other years.   :)

Must be why it is the fastest!

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
 ;)
The lower bars on the '86 give you the "tucked in" feeling. I've ridden my brother-in-laws '03 and another '86 with later bars and they both feel like you're sitting more upright. A little easier on the back, but I like the '86 bars better.
You might try some Star Tron fuel system cleaner, although the carbs probably would benefit from a thorough cleaning. I just ran some though our bikes after sitting all winter and both seem to run better. Just a thought.
Another thought; I'll be 73 in August and the '86 bars tuck me in behind the shield just right (5'11"); some turbulance passing big trucks on the freeway so I move as far away in my lane as possible when passing.
HTH.
Take care and ride safe,
Bob Young