Author Topic: EBC Rear Rotor Premature Wear?  (Read 2306 times)

jirod

EBC Rear Rotor Premature Wear?
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »
Photos are from a rear EBC rotor after less than 100 miles of use on 2008 C14. No hard braking at all. New EBC HH pads mounted at the same time the rotors were changed; filed leading edge 45 degrees before installation. Calipers were rebuilt and in excellent condition. Fluid changed and lines bled. Wheel turned freely when cold and turned freely after brakes were used during the ride (I pulled over, center-stood the bike and turned the wheel by hand).  Front rotors and pads changed at the same time show the same symptoms, maybe not as pronounced.

Is this normal?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: EBC Rear Rotor Premature Wear?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
Looks pretty normal to me. The pads aren't even bedded in yet.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:50 AM »
I had the same issue close to 2 years ago on the FRONT.  I contacted EBC in England where they were made.  They acknowledged that it was due to non-hardened steel used for the rotor.  They sent me a new set of the hardened steel rotors at no cost.  They are the same part number in the same box which says 100% Made in England but when you open the box this is what you find:  "This steel is cast and rolled in Germany to EBC specification."

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »
filing the edges of the pads didn't help anything, just gave a place (a recess) for debris and stuff to collect and wedge under the pads on the leading edge....

bummer.

any time I "re-surfaced" a pad, I made sure the things were flat, and had crisp sharp edges, which scrape anything off the disc instead of allow it to migrate under the pads.

I know the EBC HH pads are substantially thinner then the OEM's when I measured them.
they don't leave you much to shave off to get a new surface... I think it was like .140" new

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

jirod

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Freddy, my rotors didn't look as well finished as yours out of the box. I probably should contact EBC  myself for a replacement.
Man of Blues, I tend to agree with you now on leaving the pad edges sharp. Next time.