Author Topic: Cranks , but won't start !  (Read 17889 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Cranks , but won't start !
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the diagram!  :thumbs: :goodpost:

thanks for the diagram, we have these in our fsm's. I have examined them well prior to this to preclude the possibility of the led tail lamp being a cause... it isn't. the o/p did in fact disconnect the tail lamps from the system, and it did nothing to remedie the situation.
now explain why the tail.light led's glow, and the license plate light does not... I could interject the voltagebis low enough not to light it, but I believe its more than what you are thinking... my post of the exact codes that would appear, should give some semblence that I am on the pulse of this issue...
the glowing tail marker is a resultant thing... and I do not believe related to the real issue...
this electrical system is both complex in some aspects, and very simple in others, the simple thing is the flyback signals that need to be present, to shut down tertiary systems, coming from ecu's... this is all an orchestrated system, something like this glowing tail light may be a precurser just demonstrating some other pass (thru the ecu) that is being missed.
something is not feeding back thru a loop, telling systems to shut down... it ain't the tail led's doing it....

there is still an undervoltage trigger, that is causing this issue, and also why the throttle sensor is fluttering...and maybe the led thing...
 go back, and completely read the whole progression of events.
tuning in on one specific post, and making a diagnosis, and pointing to something totally remote, caused by something clearly significant doesn't do a lot on this.

the codes that popped up are clearly a sign of an undervoltage supply to the bike/ecu/system.

we ran this one down, and put it to bed in one day, when all instructions were followed,.without a bunch of othernstuff being "done" or other people "doing the work" like people supposedly checking battery and saying it is fine...

one of the benefits of the COG membership, is our technical advice, from owners that have a long history on both this bike, and its predecessor...

might want to log in, create an account,.and read a bit...
some of us really do know about this bike..and issues...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=65801.0

have a nice day, I'm off.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »
might want to log in, create an account,.and read a bit...
some of us really do know about this bike..and issues...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=65801.0

have a nice day, I'm off.

You can actually read posts from the COG forums without being a member or signing in (same with the zggtr.org forums too).... you just can't post.

I like my first post on this thread which included "If we had a dollar for every time this [battery/connections] was the cause of a mysterious problem, we would be rich :)"  Still wondering if I will collect that dollar....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »
If you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras. Unless you're in Africa, then look for zebras.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline stlhrsrdr

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
hmmmm
ask me how I knew the EXACT codes that popped up, and had posted them yesterday.
battery tender is a tender.... it will not deeep cycle charge or stimulate a battery that has never had a full charge, ever...
the batt should have been charged on a chargere at a higher amp supply, for a specified time, to reach full capacity.
not below a 2 amp slow cycle.... I use a switchable 2 amp/6 amp charger, with an actual ammeter, and it shows current at start and during process, a new batt could be charged at 6 amps for about a half hour before its really correct... just sharing again.
the parts store kids at the counter are not mechanics.

The slow charge on my regular charger is 30amp , fast is 60amp with a 200 amp "start boost" . But , this charger is just a conventional . Is it necessary to use one with a specific AGM setting ? Is the 30amp "slow" setting too fast ? Investing in an actual AGM capable charger isn't a bad idea with battery construction today .

Offline BrianK

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:01 PM »
What about trying to jump start it?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 08:35:26 PM »
That is what I was thinking. Hook up to a car battery but do NOT have the car running.

What about trying to jump start it?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »
The slow charge on my regular charger is 30amp , fast is 60amp with a 200 amp "start boost" . But , this charger is just a conventional . Is it necessary to use one with a specific AGM setting ? Is the 30amp "slow" setting too fast ? Investing in an actual AGM capable charger isn't a bad idea with battery construction today .

Motorcycle batteries are small.  I would be very careful charging it with something as strong as 30/60 amps; timing is critical to prevent overcharging (which can seriously damage the battery, or even cause a fire).  A 4/6 amp charger seems more reasonable (which is what I have as a general battery charger).  Of course, you can overcharge any battery with just about any "dumb" charger (and mine is "dumb" so I really do need to get one with a regulator and/or timer, myself... I have just been a cheap bastard).

A trickle charger is usually < 0.5-1 amp and should ALWAYS be an "intelligent" model that will self regulate, because it is designed to be connected continuously for days/weeks/months.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2016, 07:24:54 AM »
Motorcycle batteries get smoked if you put a fast and high amp charge on them.
3 amp charge for about 12 hours works well. 8)

So many experts around here. Somebody go get this guys bike started. ::)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »

what "regular" battery do you use that on????? a Towmotor.?????

don't even think of attempting to use that.

I thought it was pretty clearly defined in my post, about 6 amps.... and a half hour, and watching it on the ammeter to see charge progress....
don't use a boost charger or starter charger, simply overkilll

I cheap Walmart 2/6 amp charger, with a meter, only costs $30....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15160135?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016703628&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40839229832&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652343192&veh=sem

here's the manual for it....
http://www.batterychargers.com/content/pdf/00-00-000381.pdf

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2016, 03:36:47 PM »
I went by a place this weekend advertising 1yr batteries for 29.95..   Did a double take on that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
• 13 HP HONDA OR BRIGGS AND STRATTON ENGINE (FULL TWO YEAR WARRANTY) WITH FUEL TANK AND ELECTRIC START
• SOLID STATE POLARITY AND OVER-VOLTAGE PROTECTION (OVER-VOTAGE WILL CAUSE CABLES TO ELECTRONICALLY BE TURNED OFF AND UNIT WILL NOT OPERATE IF CABLES ARE CONNECTED REVIRSE POARITY)
• DIGITAL VOLTMETER (DISPLAYS CONSTANT READING OF OUTPUT VOLTAGE)
• 35', 4/0 COPPER CABLES (VERY FLEXIBLE IN EXTREME COLD)
• RELIABLE HIGH AMPERAGE ALTERNATORS
• CUSTOM BUILT 1000 AMP CONTINUOUS DUTY SOLENOIDS
• MICRO-PROCESSOR

* TWO YEAR WARRANTY
SUPER START 2000

MODELS:
 12 / 24 VOLT
 12 VOLT ONLY

OUTPUT:
 12 VOLT - 2000 AMPS
 24 VOLT - 1000 AMPS

DIMENSIONS:
 18"W x 34"L x 30"H

WEIGHT:

604 LBS

This setup should be sufficient for a jump start! :P

2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
meh...
 thats not a power source.....

THIS is a power source....

heheheh
This was a backup power unit I designed back in '06
It was for the US Embassy in Buenos Aries....

not too portable tho... it weighed in at
57.000 lbs....

but it was super quiet, sound proofed container, sound level at 20' away was only 70db

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »
Nice work! Impressive that we have people on here with skill to design things like that!
Here is my power source. Good for just under a couple megawatts apiece, I generally run 4 at a shot. A few years ago during the big ice storm blackout we just drove one up the street and used it to power a town in Quebec.

P.S--Sorry for the thread jack. Back to the issue, I am really interested to see what the issue is. :offtopic:
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2016, 05:59:10 AM »
I just love a nice choo choo.  If you want, start a new thread in the OPEN board about locomotives.  I don't think we've ever had one of those before.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2016, 04:37:12 AM »
I just love a nice choo choo.  If you want, start a new thread in the OPEN board about locomotives.  I don't think we've ever had one of those before.

Try living in a town that has ~40 trains a day coming through. You wouldn't care to read (or hear) a damn thing about trains!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2016, 04:41:51 AM »
Don't be a hater, C... :rotflmao: