Author Topic: A Honda problem.... my snow blower just does not 'dig in' enough  (Read 13488 times)

Offline tmlee

Re: A Honda problem.... my snow blower just does not 'dig in' enough
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »

Maybe some of youse guize that blow a lot of snow have a cure for this problem? And "hire someone" is not the answer I am looking for. :-)

Brian

Asphalt.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 04:24:52 AM »
Concrete.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 07:51:42 AM »
Maybe some of youse guize that blow a lot of snow have a cure for this problem? And "hire someone" is not the answer I am looking for. :-)

Brian

Cheese.

(To go with all this whine)

;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
True.  ;D

Brian

Cheese.

(To go with all this whine)

;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »
Give that man a cheroot!

I finally found it, or at least the biggest problem by far. The whole bucket is just a little bit 'not square' to the tracks and that was causing the right edge to dig in 'cause it was lower than the rest of the scraper bar. I had set it to the highest position but the bucket bottom lip ended up being just a tad below the blade but only if you looked at it from straight ahead, which of course I did not (almost had to turn the machine on its back to see the problem). So the bucket lip ended up actually bending back and making a really big, dull cutting edge, more on the right side but all across the scraper bar. So I cut the scraper bar back at a slight angle, which makes it straight when mounted (easy boys!) on the bucket, then straightened out and trimmed the actual bucket itself back.

While I was there, I went nuts and adjusted the throttle so it opens all the way, adjusted the choke so it is all the way 'off' when set to off, and found the mystical, secret way to increase the machine's speed by about 40% that Honda secretly built in there.... the clever little fellows :-)  Now it will go both ways (easy boys!) faster than I want it to; it used to crawl back at an annoyingly slow pace. Then I went nuts and picked up a mechanical tach. and actually set the engine to the right speed (what a cool tach. too- all mechanical and it works on physics).  And finally I put a set of impeller spacers on it so it throws better and cleans the inside of the impeller housing.

Now the machine runs perfectly.... like a Honda. It runs faster and smoother without the earlier surge (from the choke). It will now throw snow over the roof of my house all the way toward the neighbor's driveway. But the best part is that it now tracks like a tank, does not pull in either direction and will dig into whatever is in front of it including the 7 or 8" of hard, frozen snow in my backyard that I cannot put a shovel into. Yippee. Color me happy.

If you guize think the C-14 manual is off, you should read Honda's instructions on how to set up one of their snowblowers. The translation is fine but the instructions are wrong and a bit worse than useless :-(

And the best part of all is what we gots somewhere upwards of a foot of snow that I will get to put in the neighbor's driveway!

;D

Brian

When the bucket rides up, I back up and hit it again.  Although my thrower has tracks and will gladly climb up and over most snowplow berms. 

Check the blade at the back bottom edge of the bucket.  It may be worn and not doing its job of cutting into the snow.

We got 2 feet up here, and another 4 inches today.  Today's was just barely enough to fire up the snowblower for, since I also have a gravel driveway.  (My Subaru Outback (of course) and Daughter #2's Subaru Forester would have been fine, but Daughter #1's Corolla wasn't going to get in the driveway.)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
That's going to be welcome news on the 'other' forum.... ::)

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 05:34:48 PM »
Yeah, well I try to keep the number of forums that I participate in under control. Well, not actually under control, but at least a reasonable number of places for contention.  :rotflmao:  Put another way, I don't want to argue about snowblowers.... also. :-)

I only 'do' three forums and two of 'dem is C-14 forums (Concours forums actually but the only area of interest for me is the C-14 stuff.... mostly).

Besides, I 'C-14'd it up' for youse guize....

See? It uses 'HoBlowPass'.

Brian

That's going to be welcome news on the 'other' forum.... ::)

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/honda-snowblowers

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »
So the 6" plus storm we were supposed to have had turned into 'accumulations less than an inch'! Not sure who to blame for this but I am not pleased in the least. Blower all ready to go and pointed down range and now no snow coming?

So to the weatherman in the northeast: I dare you! I double dare you! Dump it on us.... I betcha' you cannot get 20" of snow on the ground in 24 hours! Go ahead, do your worst....

:-)

Brian