Author Topic: Stand alone XM  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Stand alone XM
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
I am running a "stand alone" (not incorporated into a Zumo) XM unit on my bike. I have it plugged in to my Sena SMH10 and am not pleased with the output. On my other vehicles I also need to turn the volume much higher when connected to the XM also. I looked at the Amplirider ampand a couple of others. Anyone else doing XM this way? I have MP3s put there are no surprises when you know what's on the player. I prefer XM for that and the live broadcasts.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stand alone XM
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
I use an amplirider to pipe both my radar detector and gps through a hard wire to a helmet speaker works fine. A more costly unit called Mix-it will let you choose a primary so the detector will override all other.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Do you run it to a unit like the Sena or to just speakers?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:05 PM »
I'm a cheap ass so I miked a garmin nuvi and run the detector and the nuvi through the amp jacked into a single Radio Shack speaker in the helmet. No other comm systems other than hand signals.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:51:56 PM »
Thanks. Good thinking. I need music when I ride. The voices on the radio help to drown out the voices in my head. There's no telling where my twisted little mind might go if not distracted by pleasant sounds...

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
Thanks. Good thinking. I need music when I ride. The voices on the radio help to drown out the voices in my head. There's no telling where my twisted little mind might go if not distracted by pleasant sounds...

+1 :thumbs:
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline accbiker

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »
I had the same problem until I decided to run my XM radio through a Boostaroo and then into custom made ear plugs.  Solved the problem and the clarity is great without having to crank up the sound to 11.

-David
Athens, GA